Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update old block

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
tadasmasickas
1083 Views, 4 Replies

Update old block

hi,

How to update old one block that is in existing drawing?

situation. In drawing (let's call it  "old") i have "block1". In drawing "new" I have the same "block1". In drawing "new" i've changed something in block1.

Now I want to update that change of block1 in drawing "old".

So that's what I'm doing for this moment. I create new drawing "update" and copy there newest block1 (from drawing "new"). Than I copy entire drawing "old" and paste it to drawing "update". That's the way how get drawing "old" updated ( I've made changes in block1). But it's quite long way to do it.

So, maybe anyone knows shorter way? For example: how to copy block1 from drawing "new" to drawing "old", so that block1 would be updated in drawing "old". This would be much shorter way to update it. There should be some settings of block priority.,

Thanks for your answer. I think it should help for anyone else. 🙂

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
hwalker
in reply to: tadasmasickas

Welcome to the Forums

When copying blocks from 1 drawing to another the block will always take on the characteristics of the block in the destination drawing.

Is this block a simple block or is it a dynamic block?

If it's a simple block. I would open up both blocks in their separate drawings in BLOCK EDITOR. Then copy the elements from the new block onto the clipboard and paste them into the old block, not forgetting to remove the elements from the old block first.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 5
tadasmasickas
in reply to: hwalker

Thank's 🙂

Yes, it's a simple block.

Are you sure that it's impossible to make it different way? I mean update blocks.

Your way of updating block are good for few blocks. But when we have to update many blocks.

Message 4 of 5
hwalker

The only other way I can think of (which is just as long) is RENAME the old block and then paste your new block where all the instances of the old block are and delete the old blocks from the drawing.

This is copied from Autocad Help

Modify a Block Definition

When you redefine block definitions in your current drawing, both previous and future insertions of the block in the drawing are affected.

You can redefine block definitions in your current drawing. Redefining a block definition affects both previous and future insertions of the block in the current drawing and any associated attributes.

There are two methods for redefining a block definition:

• Modify the block definition in the current drawing.
  • Modify the block definition in the source drawing and reinsert it into the current drawing.

The method you choose depends on whether you want to make changes in the current drawing only or in a source drawing also.

Modify a Block Definition in the Current Drawing

To modify a block definition, follow the procedure to create a new block definition, but enter the name of the existing block definition. This replaces the existing block definition, and all the references to that block in the drawing are immediately updated to reflect the new definition.

To save time, you can insert and explode an instance of the original block and then use the resulting objects in creating the new block definition

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 5 of 5
Johneng

What version of Autocad are you using? Curent versions have the Design Center Palette (ADCENTER command). If your version of autocad has the Design Center Pallette follow the steps below to update the block in drawing "old"

Make drawing "old" current

open the Design Center palette

browse to where drawing "new is located

click on the block section

find the icon for "block 1"

when you find "block 1" righ click on it and select REDEFINE ONLY

For me I find it easier to have both drawings open (have drawing "old" as the current drawing) and use the open drawings tab instead of the folers tab.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost