Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ungroup Objects

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
hikerman
76330 Views, 23 Replies

Ungroup Objects

Using LT 2014. If I select a few lines and group them, I can select that group, right click, and ungroup them. No problem.

If I group a few lines, then make another group of a few lines, then group the two groups together, then the right click menu will no longer allow me to choose ungroup. Also on the ribbon, the ungroup icon will not operate.

Before this I had LT 2011 (and before that) and I was able to group/ungroup multiple grouped objects at will. So this appears to be a glitch that was introduced since then.

How do I ungroup multiple groups?

Thanks,

GChapp

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
Charles_Shade
in reply to: hikerman

What you describe works here but when trying to ungroup a Group of Groups I'm asked to Accept or Next the choice.

Next seems to Ungroup the last chosen Group in the Groups set but leaves the larger Group intact. Like it is exploding a nested block so to speak.

Are you completing the Command in roder to Ungroup the larger Group?

Next time the opton goes gray see if your PICKSTYLE is set to 0. This should be 1 so that the Group can be selected.

Message 3 of 24
gccdesign
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Charles,

Thanks for looking into this.

I checked, and Pickstyle is already set to 1.

What happens is this:

1. Make an initial group of objects, say lines.

At this point if I select that group and right click, I have the option to ungroup, and that command works. No dialog of Accept or Next, it just ungroups. No problem here.

2. Make an initial group, then make a second group, then select both groups and group them together. I'll call this a 2nd level group.

Now the option to ungroup is greyed out both in the right click menu as well as in the ribbon panel. This is an error in the way the program works as far as I can tell. So clicking on that command icon has no effect. In earlier versions of LT ungrouping these 2nd level groups was not a problem.

3.  Make an initial group, make a second group, then select one group, right click & choose "Add to Group" and add the second group.

Now ungrouping is not available in the right click menu.

Now if I have two groups then grouped together, if I "type" the ungroup command, then I get the dialog choices of Accept or Next. If I choose Accept then it ungroups. It will also suggest QKUngroup which also works.

What's more, the way it used to work is that it would ungroup by levels. Like first it would ungroup the two groups from each other. Then after that I could select each separate group and ungroup them.

Now when I ungroup using the text command it ungroups everything, not by levels (usually, not consistently).

I just made a custom command for QKUngroup, and it remains active for multiple level grouping, so it is sort of a work-around. I'd like to be able to add that to the right click menu if possible. Plus need to find out how to give it an icon.

This grouping feature has been very useful for me in the past for working out how rotating or moving objects will move in relation to each other. My first use of it like this was for some very large doors and moveable panels for acoustical control in a concert hall. I had to work out how they would move and rotate within their space. I grouped the two halves of the custom hinges, then the door panels and so on. Using this feature I was able to solve all the problems "on paper" before having them all built. Then when built, it all actually did work as planned.

Greg

Message 4 of 24
pendean
in reply to: gccdesign

The LT2011 method went away starting in LT2012: it has not changed (continues) in LT2013 nor LT2014.

See screenshot, on the left is LT2011, on the right in LT2012: my guess is behind the scene changes to the command has now created this situation.

Message 5 of 24
gccdesign
in reply to: pendean

Yes, looks like it. I recently went from LT 2011 to LT 2014.

I think it may also be an issue with the "context sensitive" programming, since when you select a group with subgroups it turns off all the group options except "Group". I don't think that necessarlly makes sense.

GChapp

Message 6 of 24
pendean
in reply to: gccdesign

Looks like LT2012 was made to be in line with R2012 (full AutoCAD): and continues with 2013/2014. LT's PKFSTGROUP and QKUNGROUP commands were dropped in favor of the GROUP and UNGROUP commands in full AutoCAD.
Message 7 of 24
hikerman

So in full autocad you can't ungroup if you have multiple groups together?

Something doesn't make sense here.

GChapp

Message 8 of 24
pendean

Why would full AutoCAD's identically built-in commands work differently? LT is AutoCAD, AutoCAD is LT: same base/core.

Full AutoCAD allows for a higher level of customization which most of us use when built-in features don't perform as desired (much like you said you did in LT).
Message 9 of 24
steve216586

Do you not have a Group Manager?

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 10 of 24
hikerman
in reply to: steve216586

Yes, I do have the group manager available. Does this relate to the right click menu and the ribbon icons working correctly?

Thanks,

GChapp

Message 11 of 24
steve216586

I just thought using the Manager enables you to "explode" a group back into sub groups. I don't think you can put that on a right click menu.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 12 of 24
gccdesign
in reply to: steve216586

I looked at Group Manager. It seems to be of limited usefulness. If you create a group by right click menu or the ribbon menu, then you don't give it a specific name, it gets assigned a name automatically. There is no right click option for giving the group a name. It appears that you have to create a group from within group manager in order to name it.

If you open group manager you are presented with no groups unless you have named them. Or, you can choose to view the un-named groups, but good luck on finding out which of those listed are the group you are trying to work on. The automatically created name does not show up in properties. Also if you select a group in model space, the group manager does not show whick group that is. It seems rather primitive as a tool.

If you have a (named) group that contains subgroups and select it, then you can ungroup it from group manager, but not in an orderly fashion. It does not ungroup by levels.

Group manager only seems useful for groups that you have specifically named, which I am not likely to want to take the time to do in most circumstances in which I use groups.

My request would be to restore the right click functionality that existed in previous versions. It just worked, and in a simple, usable fashion.

GChapp

Message 13 of 24
W1ddler

Use the command line and type UNGROUP. This works for me.

Message 14 of 24
G-
Community Visitor

Hi,

My way of ungroupng these multiple groups is copying the group then paste it on the other side where is clear of drawings.

Message 15 of 24
pendean
in reply to: G-

LT's UNGROUP command works well 🙂
Message 16 of 24
G-
Community Visitor

Yes that works well, but if you have a hundred of groups that grouped together then you gonna have to ungroup them one by one. Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 24
pendean
in reply to: G-

Then use a better quicker method than stepping it to one side first: select all the groups (SELECTSIMILAR for example), CTRL+C, then PASTESORIG (I abbreviated it to PO).

No more groups in the items you selected.

Can be automated with a macro if needed.
Message 18 of 24
otitonium

Hey,

All you have to do is locate the "Group" menu at the top of your screen, select the group you want yo ungroup and click "ungroup". That's all you need.

"life made simple"

Message 19 of 24
phumelelef
in reply to: Charles_Shade

this has helped me in 2016 . 🙂
Message 20 of 24
christine.rady
in reply to: W1ddler

This worked for me too. Thanks so much!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost