Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to save/edit dwg file over network autocad 2012lt opened as readonly

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1397 Views, 7 Replies

Unable to save/edit dwg file over network autocad 2012lt opened as readonly

Hi admin,

i have read http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Error-D... my case is the same as however the solution proposed did not work.

following is what i have done and i encounted the problem.

1 : map drive to server (x: )

2 : open the DWG file however it open as read only 

i tried to debug by doing to following

1 : update network driver of client : to mitigate network driver outdated

2 : share folder locally (127.0.0.1)

3 : map network drive to local folder (127.0.0.1) : to mitigate Client computers that are significantly faster than the server , Heavy network traffic Intermittent connectivity

4 : close all software and open over network driver to mitigate Server is overloaded with other tasks at the time of the problem

5 : disable anti virus : to mitigate Virus software configuration

6 : i have also right click and ensured that it is not on read only

opening the file locally is not an issue from the same shared folder and same file.
the issue is that i am unable to open the file even locally map drive moreover over network to server.

please advice if there are any workaround or bypass.

i am running on windows 7 pro x64 , autocal 2014 lt , ram 8gb , I5 3.2ghz , nvidia quadro graphic.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Server access for users is done at the server through user groups/rights: nothing you've done on the client PC will ever overcome server user settings.

Do you not have access to Server controls and setting user rights? If not, contact your IT person that can do this for you. AutoCAD requires you the user to have read/write/rename/delete and temp file creation at the server folders that store your files.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Hi pendean,

thank you for your reply.

The user is a is given full control to the folder on the server. i have tried to  create , rename , delete , read files in the folder and and i am able to (notepad).
furthermore to mitigate the server factor.

i have set the user to be local administrator of the PC , restarted the PC
setup a share folder named test in the local PC(C:\test) will full permission for both share and folder security.
map a network drive X: to //127.0.0.1/test
open it in using autocad but the problem persist over X: drive.

however when i tried to open on the C drive c:\test. i am able to open with full rights. edit and save 
it is a weird issue if it is permission issue

Regards Andy.

Message 4 of 8
pendean

Do you and the user have the same server credentials? That would validate your test.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

yes as i am the IT administrator. there is no issue for Microsoft Office other software on saving and opening the files.

it is only for autocad.
besides i have mitigated the possibility of server or network using local PC with it's loopback ip.
however the result still the same.
thats why i am puzzled by it.

there is only one user having such issue.
while other users are able to save and edit and they are using the same version of autocad LT2012 and same workstation model.

just in case you required the specs of the PC
Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.6 ,  8GB DDR3 , MS Windows 7 Professional 64 , NVIDIA Quadro K4000

Message 6 of 8
pendean

Create a new user ID on the server for this one lonely user, use credentials from the other no-issue users as the go-by. I do this all the time here as I too am the IT Administrator, CAD Manager, as well as full time architect and team bottle washer.

AutoCAD is no MSOffice or any other light-weight business application you have experience with.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

i have tried with a domain admin account(mine) , existing user that works on other computer but the problem still persist. locally(127.0.0.1) or to server (192.x.x.x)  with a new user account.
The server is in the same network/subnet

thats why i'm confused by it.

Ms office requires read , write , delete access as well for editing over network .thats why i mentioned ms office.
I understand AutoCAD isn't a lightweight application.
I am no expert in Autocad so i seek expert advice on this as i do not understand how the autocad saving , edting mechanism works.

From my understanding

When a DWG file is open it will create a DWL file or whohas.arx during this time anyone who open will be in read-only mode

When DWG file close these 2 files will be removed. 

things that i have observed.
i have unhide all files.
1) i have checked that neither of the 2 files(whohas.arx/Dwl) are in the folder of the DWG folder when i try to open the DWG file.

2) those 2 file (whohas.arx/Dwl) are not created when opening the file.  

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

I have resolved this issue.

the problem is due to windows preview panel.

after closing it it in windows explorer it did not occured again.

I belive this issue occured because autocad "thinks" that the autocad file is opened by a user when previed by user.

anyway it's been resolved so far user did not complain about it again. life is good once again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost