Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD LT 2015 - Trying to make the "SELECT Previous" shortcut key work

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
nathanthern
76812 Views, 14 Replies

AutoCAD LT 2015 - Trying to make the "SELECT Previous" shortcut key work

I must be missing something here, because there is a default shortcut key for "SELECT Previous" but it is completely unuseable for me.

Typing it in works for me: I type "SELECT" <spc> "Previous" and hit enter my previous selection is highlighted in blue without any of the grab points (the blue square boxes at the middle and ends of a line - I don't know what they are actually called). The mouse cursor also changes to a small square box with "Select objects:" in grey next to it. If I hit enter then grab points appear, my mouse cursor changes back to normal and I am good to go with the previous objects selected.

If I instead press CTRL-SHIFT-L (the documented shortcut for "SELECT Previous") my previous selection is highlighted in blue without any of the grab points, but then I am out of luck. I have the small square box with "Select objects:" in grey next to it but I can never do anything to the sort-of-selected objects (meaning highlighted in blue with no grab points, not actually usefully selected with grab points and ready for me to move/copy/etc...). As soon as I hit enter or space or right click or select any gui modify button, the sort-of-selection disappears.

What am I doing wrong?

Nate T

AutoCAD LT 2015

[ The subject line of this post has been edited for clarity by @handjonathan Original: Trying to make the "SELECT Previous" shortcut key work ]

Tags (2)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
pendean
in reply to: nathanthern

Behaves the same in 2012 and 2014: where did this do any differently for you? you are starting (then ending) SELECT command. Look up usage in HELP. yes, a command called SELECT.

Open CUI command, in the commands list scroll down and find SELECT PREVIOUS: it's already defined, place it where you want to use it on your screen's tabs/panels or toolbars.

Typing P then <enter> after to start a command will do the same thing too.

Message 3 of 15
nathanthern
in reply to: pendean

@pendean wrote:

Behaves the same in 2012 and 2014: where did this do any differently for you?

Are you saying you can duplicate the problem? Or are you saying that you are able to successfully select your previous selection USING THE SHORTCUT KEYS?

@pendean wrote:

you are starting (then ending) SELECT command. Look up usage in HELP. yes, a command called SELECT.

Open CUI command, in the commands list scroll down and find SELECT PREVIOUS: it's already defined, place it where you want to use it on your screen's tabs/panels or toolbars.

Typing P then <enter> after to start a command will do the same thing too.

I know how to use SELECT. It works. It works when I press P after calling it - see my original post. It's behaving differently when I use the shortcut. I want to use the shortcut combo CTRL-SHIFT-L.

I just tried putting SELECT PREVIOUS into one of my panels. I am unable to get that to work either - it displays the same behavior as CTRL-SHIFT-L.

I wish to emphasize: the CTRL-SHIFT-L behavior is different from typing "SEL <spc> P <enter>". Either I am unaware of how to use this particular shortcut or else this is a bug.

Message 4 of 15
pendean

Clearer description perhaps:

CTRL+SHIFT+L launches SELECT command and picks up the last object while remaining in SELECT command for you to do something else in that command..

Same exact function as starting SELECT command, then chosing L for last, then just waiting inside that command.

CTRL+SHIFT+L does not make a last selection for use in another command. Not a bug, a wacky shotcut that's pointless.

To do what you want, which is also in CUI's commands list, the code for select previous is:
$M=$(if,$(getvar,cmdactive),,_select;)_p
and uses the image RCDATA_16_SELPRE
Message 5 of 15
nathanthern

@pendean wrote:
Clearer description perhaps:

CTRL+SHIFT+L launches SELECT command and picks up the last object while remaining in SELECT command for you to do something else in that command..

Same exact function as starting SELECT command, then chosing L for last, then just waiting inside that command.

CTRL+SHIFT+L does not make a last selection for use in another command. Not a bug, a wacky shotcut that's pointless.

To do what you want, which is also in CUI's commands list, the code for select previous is:
$M=$(if,$(getvar,cmdactive),,_select;)_p
and uses the image RCDATA_16_SELPRE

Getting clearer, thanks. It definitely is a pointless shortcut. Unfortunately, in my version, the shortcut is bound to the exact code you recommend. Nevertheless, I tried creating my own command with that code and a new shortcut key. Same results: selects, allows the user to select more, then de-selects everything when the command exits.

I'm beginning to understand the concept here ... it seems that macro commands can select and manipulate elements, but then de-select everything when they exit. It appears there's no way to leave things selected for further manipulation.

My solution right now is to alias "S" to SELECT. Then I can just hit "s<enter>p<enter><enter>" and my previous selection is selected again. I had to re-alias STRETCH (which I also use a lot) to ST.

Message 6 of 15

select what you wana do.....
like for example. erase.....then press PR then the previouse selection will be highlighted so you can erase it .....
so you can do like this for the others options too
Message 7 of 15
joseZ9KZ7

Hello and thank you very much for all your help,

My name is Jose and I've using Autocad for a long time and I just discovered this (never too late).

Now the question is ... if I select a circle and do whatever with it and then an square. Is there any shortcut to select again the circle?

Thank you, thank you very much!!!!!

Message 8 of 15
pendean
in reply to: joseZ9KZ7

Sadly, no.
Message 9 of 15
steven-g

Unfortunately not, the selection of 'previous' or 'last' objects is only valid for the latest objects selected, and cannot remember earlier selections.

Previous works for single/multiple objects (the previous object(s) selected)

Last works for single objects (the last one created)

previous doesn't mean selection before last time you selected something.

Message 10 of 15
joseZ9KZ7

Thank you very much to your quick response.

Yeah that's sad ...

And is there anyway to create a LISP that can select a group of something and call it A, then select something else call it B. And then, be able to select A and B whenever you want.

Message 11 of 15
cadffm

Sure, but LT Version is without any programming interface..

(You ask in LT Forum so we have to guess you are using this software)

- Sebastian -
Message 12 of 15
steven-g

Lt cannot use Lisp, that is only available in the full version. You could look at creating a macro using the 'group' command this names a selection and is kept as a permanent record in your drawing so you can always select that named group again (or multiple groups), when you need to select objects for any command the 'group' option is always available. If you do use group command then please use the named option otherwise you get unnamed groups and they are harder to deal with.

Message 13 of 15
joseZ9KZ7
in reply to: cadffm

Sorry, 

Just realized.

I'll ask this question in the normal AutoCAD forum.

Thanks for your help guys ^^

Message 14 of 15
beto4huk

I've found an appropriate solution. 

To understand the problem try this out: 

Open command line and type Select - hit enter - P - hit enter twice

The result is that your previous selection set is selected, you can open ctrl+1 (props) to make sure objects are selected.

Now check your command line for select call: 

Command: SELECT
Select objects: p
5 found.

Now do the same with your macro, or select previous command. Check the command line and see: 

Command: _select
Select objects: _p 5 found.

Now you can see the difference:

1. First method works, and the second does not.

2. "5 found" is written on a new line in the first case, and inline with "_p" in the second.

What does it all mean? I can only guess... So I think that Autocad needs some very short time (several ms) to select objects, when you ran macro or select previous command, you don't leave it enough time and something goes wrong.

What can I suggest is to use macro with delay "\".

SOLUTION:

Paste this into your shortcut field: ^C^CSelect\p;;

Now to select previous you call your shortcut with any key you have selected, than just rightclick or hit enter and your objects are now selected and you can modify them.

Message 15 of 15
j.manganS699H

It seems to work for me, if you select the command move for example then press enter, and it asks what you want to move, then use the shortcut Crtl + Shift + L for last/previous selection, then you can press enter, and it will allow you to move the previous selected lines etc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost