Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trim and Extend don't work intermittently

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
katie1994
1604 Views, 13 Replies

Trim and Extend don't work intermittently

This problem has cropped up in the last few months. It only happens intermittently.

Typically I select Trim, or Extend command, right click to select All rather than a specific object, then selcet the objects to be trimmed or extended.

Sometimes though, the All command is not activated and I have to select the object to be trimmed or extended to, then select the objects to trim, etc. Then the next time I right click for All it works.

It's very frustrating not knowing what is going to happen. Does anyone have an idea as to why this is happening?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Since <All> is the default option, you can also activate it with Enter or Space (instead of right-click). Does that fix the inconsistency?

--
Kate Morrical
Digital Design Manager, Washington DC
BIMmuse.com
Message 3 of 14

Yes, that also works. It remains to be seen if it works consistantly. Thanks.

Message 4 of 14
maxim_k
in reply to: katie1994

Hi,

When you can not use all option in Trim and Extend commands - does All option doesn't activated at all, or you can see something like: "Edge is perpendicular to UCS XY plane." at the command prompt?

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 5 of 14
katie1994

Well, of course I can't get it to do it now!

Message 6 of 14
hwalker

I just use the crossing boundary box.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 7 of 14
katie1994
in reply to: hwalker

I appreciate the workaround/alternative suggestions, but what I am concerned about is why this has started happening? Is it a glitch? LT 13 on my machine has lots of little twitches and stutters that I have never encounted before. And I date back to Autocad 10!

So is this a symptom of something more onimous about to start happening? Should I worry about fixing a small injury now to prevent a serious infection in the future?

Message 8 of 14
pendean

"intermittent" has no permanent fix unless you can specifically identify the trigger. Sorry, more info on the failure is needed, otherwise as Kate noted about it may be simply that your right-click to activate <enter> is not completing.
Message 9 of 14
katie1994
in reply to: pendean

Hmm, my high school band director used to say "it's never the instrument that goes wrong, it's usually the player."

Message 10 of 14
katie1994

So this is still happening. And the right click is activating the command. Select all is the default on the command line but when I right click to accept that the computer keeps asking for me to select an object to trim or extend to. the command line says Extend [Fence] [Edge] etc as usual but when I select the line nothing extends.

I also tried typing in all, every object highlighted, then when I right clicked and selected the line to extend again, nothing happens.So it doesnt seem to be an issue with the mouse.

If I select an object to extend to, right click, select the line to extend, it all works normally.

Message 11 of 14
pendean

Seems to all be tied to right-clicking as <enter> to me: if you cannot repeat the problem by tapping <enter> on the keyboard it's a mouse button problem. Perhaps your right-click timing isn't short enough in LT or in your mouse driver?
Message 12 of 14
braudpat

Hello

Sometimes the right mouse button is very tired !?

So even with a correct timing/delay, strange problem can appears ...

A stupid idea :

Could you test again with a beautiful new mouse ?

or a nice one from a friend ?

Bye, Pat

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 13 of 14
katie1994

Ok, so I tried a different mouse and that is not the problem. And today Trim, Extend, and Fillet have stopped working completly. No method I have tried works. I rebooted, checked for updates, rebooted. No change. It' is not the equipment!

Message 14 of 14
pendean

I can't get these core commands to stop working: so you have something else going on either at the system level, in the file, or a wacky variable setting for TRIMMODE or PROJMODE the these two commands depend on.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost