Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

title block

33 REPLIES 33
SOLVED
Message 1 of 34
Anonymous
1700 Views, 33 Replies

title block

I have a title block formatted and saved and not I need to insert it into the model drawing.  Having some troubles adding it.  what is the best way to add my title block?

33 REPLIES 33
Message 2 of 34
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

adding it from where? INSERT only works with MODELSPACE content in the source file, but CHSPACE command moves content between paperspace and modelspace.

Message 3 of 34
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

I am inserting it from a saved file on my I: drive

Message 4 of 34
pendean

Is the tileblock in modelspace in that file? If not, you cannot insert it, you can only copy that layout to your new file.

Message 5 of 34
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

it is not in the same file.  how do I copy it in?

Message 6 of 34
heinsite

Is your title block defined as a BLOCK in the original drawing or is it a collection of individual drawing objects?

Is your title block in the original drawing in Model space or in a Layout?

Where do you want to place it in the new drawing?

Answers to these questions will really help us help you.

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 7 of 34
Anonymous
in reply to: heinsite

Yes it is defined as a block

Yes it was originally drawn in Model Space

In the lower right hand corner of the drawing in model spcae

Message 8 of 34
heinsite

Okay, Jessica, now we know what to do.

The easiest solution is to use ADCENTER (Design Center).  Open your original drawing first.  Then open the drawing you want to insert the block into.  Type ADCENTER at the command line and make sure that a portion of your model is showing.  In the Folders tab of Design Center locate your source drawing and expand it by clicking on the little +/- box.  Then click on Blocks.  This will show you all the blocks defined in your source file.  Now it's just drag and drop.  Click and hold the block you need and drag it over onto your destination drawing.  When you see a little "rectangle" onscreen release and drop it.  It will now be a block in your new file.  From here move it where you need it.

It's important that the UNITS of both drawings are the same.  If they're not you'll have to rescale the block.  But it'll be where you need it.

While you're at it you might want to move other things from the source to the destination drawing too... things like text/annotation/multileader/table styles... like layer definitions... like other stuff.  All fair game.  Design Center is cool.  Play around with it and learn how to make your day more productive.  Have fun!

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 9 of 34
Charles_Shade
in reply to: heinsite

If this is a Block - i.e. You have it saved as a Block in the Container Drawing; and you drag it from Adcenter it will be Blocked again.

You will need to Explode to get to any Atrributed values you may have.

No where in your thread did you look to use Layout or Templates - Two powerful tools of AutoCAD that should not be skipped over.

This Title block should be in a Layout so that you can use it again and again in the same Drawing file just by copying new Layouts and adding Viewports where you need.

In the scheme of things these Layouts should be added to the file that contains the Titleblock (Titleblock being a compound word meaning something that contains drawing information and Title Block meaning a drawing file that has a Tilte and is a Block - really two different things) and then all of your drawing entites are created in Modelspace and viewed (Viewport) in Paperspace (Layout).

A Drawing file is a Block depending on how you insert this into another Drawing file.

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 10 of 34
Anonymous

Thank you so very very much!  I was able to get the block into the drawing this time.  However how do I make sure taht the units are the same?

Message 11 of 34
Charles_Shade

Does it look okay?

Did you create it the same way as your target Drawing?

If so it likely is fine.

How do you Plot by the way?

Message 12 of 34
Anonymous

I am able to get the title block in there now, however the size is tiny compaired to the drawings and the units are set to the same so is the annotation scale.  Can you tell me how to make it the same size??

Message 13 of 34
Charles_Shade

Where did this Title block come from?

What size does it need to be?

If you measure an edge or length of something on the Title block do you want it to be 36" and it measures 9" or what?

Please post your file so we may see.

Message 14 of 34
Anonymous
in reply to: Charles_Shade

The drawing is created by the factory and I add the accessories as needed.  For some reason this drawing is giving me a run for my money! 😞  When the title block is instered it looks great, just too small.  The titel block units were set to Architictural Precision 0/-0 1/16" when the drawing was set to decimal so I changed the block to match the drawing and that did not help.

Message 15 of 34
Anonymous

here is the title blcok.  It tells me the drawing is too big to add

Message 16 of 34
Charles_Shade

The attached is a screenshot of a Layout that plots 1:1 - That is the paper (the white area) is full size or in this case 24 x 36.

On this there is a 1/4" =1' Scaled Viewport. Your Title block is there. It is the small L looking thing with a circle around it to make it easier to find.

This Title block looks fine in Modelspace with relative size of Text compared to mine as well as overall units.

This suggests that the Title block whould be placed in Modelspace and Scaled in Paperspace.

The large Title block in the screenshot is just Pasted there and is likely 40-50 times too big depending on how you plot.

Can you start a simple drawing and go thru the steps you are doing with the same problem?

Maybe it is just this one drawing. I'm still not sure how you are using this Title block in Modelspace

INSUNITS is set to?

Message 17 of 34
Anonymous

I'm not sure what the problem is.  the Drawing is larger then the title block, but they are scaled to the same size.  Not sure what else I can do.  I know that is has to be something simple, but I am not seeing it.  Pretty frustrated with this one. 

Message 18 of 34
Charles_Shade

Can you start a simple drawing and go thru the steps you are doing with the same problem?

Maybe it is just this one drawing.

I'm still not sure how you are using this Title block in Modelspace

Message 19 of 34
Anonymous

I have a drawing from the factory where I added the circuit breakers to the engine drawing.  Since I made changes I have to change the title block.  So I am trying to insert the title block which was given to me by my co worker.  Who will only tell me to insert it, but not how to do so even when I said I have never done it.  At this point I am ready to give the drawing to the customer with no title block.

Message 20 of 34
Charles_Shade

If you can try posting the drawing in a Zip file. That may post.

Although you may not be able to post proprietary material.

You could always SCALE the Title block to the appropriate size.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost