AutoCAD LT General Discussion

AutoCAD LT General Discussion

Reply
Active Member
8 Posts
0 Kudos
Registered: ‎01-23-2002
Post 1 of 9

Text search in dwg files.

312 Views, 8 Replies
10-10-2001 10:58 PM
Is there a way of seaching across a number of AutoCAD files for files containing particular text? I have tried using the Windows "Find files containing..." tools but it can't find text in AutoCAD.

I'm using WinNT4 and AUtoCAD LT2000i
*Saadallah, Dean
Post 2 of 9

Re: Text search in dwg files.

10-11-2001 12:59 AM in reply to: aburman
www.cadalog.com www.tenlinks.com and www.caddepot.com might have such a
tool, but may require full AutoCAD to use.

--
Dean Saadallah
www.pendean.com
--


"aburman" wrote in message
news:f08b74c.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Is there a way of seaching across a number of AutoCAD files for files
containing particular text? I have tried using the Windows "Find files
containing..." tools but it can't find text in AutoCAD.
> I'm using WinNT4 and AUtoCAD LT2000i
>
>
*Klasson, Conny
Post 3 of 9

Re: Text search in dwg files.

10-11-2001 05:32 AM in reply to: aburman
Try Design Center's search tool.
Search for texts, attribute values, block names whatever you want.
And everywhere you want!

BTW, How comes that I only have "Hatch Pattern" and "Hatch Pattern
Files"
to search for in my Design Center search dialog ?

Conny

aburman wrote:
>
> Is there a way of seaching across a number of AutoCAD files for files
> containing particular text? I have tried using the Windows "Find files
> containing..." tools but it can't find text in AutoCAD.
>
> I'm using WinNT4 and AUtoCAD LT2000i
*Saadallah, Dean
Post 4 of 9

Re:

10-11-2001 06:04 AM in reply to: aburman
Nice catch, Conny.

--
Dean Saadallah
www.pendean.com
--


"Conny Klasson" wrote in message
news:3BC601D1.E30C8100@bigfoot.com...
> Try Design Center's search tool.
> Search for texts, attribute values, block names whatever you want.
> And everywhere you want!
>
> BTW, How comes that I only have "Hatch Pattern" and "Hatch Pattern
> Files"
> to search for in my Design Center search dialog ?
>
> Conny
>
> aburman wrote:
> >
> > Is there a way of seaching across a number of AutoCAD files for files
> > containing particular text? I have tried using the Windows "Find files
> > containing..." tools but it can't find text in AutoCAD.
> >
> > I'm using WinNT4 and AUtoCAD LT2000i
*Klasson, Conny
Post 5 of 9

Re:

10-11-2001 04:44 PM in reply to: aburman
Any idea why my Design Center Search is limited to Hatch patterns?
Guess it's time to reinstall.

Conny

Dean Saadallah wrote:
>
> Nice catch, Conny.
>
> --
> Dean Saadallah
> www.pendean.com
> --
>
> "Conny Klasson" wrote in message
> news:3BC601D1.E30C8100@bigfoot.com...
> > Try Design Center's search tool.
> > Search for texts, attribute values, block names whatever you want.
> > And everywhere you want!
> >
> > BTW, How comes that I only have "Hatch Pattern" and "Hatch Pattern
> > Files"
> > to search for in my Design Center search dialog ?
> >
> > Conny
> >
> > aburman wrote:
> > >
> > > Is there a way of seaching across a number of AutoCAD files for files
> > > containing particular text? I have tried using the Windows "Find files
> > > containing..." tools but it can't find text in AutoCAD.
> > >
> > > I'm using WinNT4 and AUtoCAD LT2000i
Active Member
8 Posts
0 Kudos
Registered: ‎01-23-2002
Post 6 of 9

Re:

10-11-2001 05:41 PM in reply to: aburman
Using DesignCenter you can only search for textstyles not actual text, unless it's a defined attribute. I want to find a particular text string anywhere in a drawing.
*Klasson, Conny
Post 7 of 9

Re:

10-11-2001 09:24 PM in reply to: aburman
Sorry. My Design Center Search is a mess.
I knew that attribute values was search able.
Just assumed that it would search texts also :smileysurprised:(

Conny

aburman wrote:
>
> Using DesignCenter you can only search for textstyles not actual text,
> unless it's a defined attribute. I want to find a particular text
> string anywhere in a drawing.
Distinguished Contributor
924 Posts
0 Kudos
Registered: ‎10-27-2003
Post 8 of 9

Re: Text search in dwg files.

10-11-2001 09:33 PM in reply to: aburman
If it is a one-time-to do thing, you could make a scirpt, which opens the DWG one by one and then does the command:find (if you can run it from a script),
but i don't know how to stop it if it finds something.
Perhaps AutoManger View can do so.
30-day tial downloadable form www.cyco.com.
*Klasson, Conny
Post 9 of 9

Re:

10-14-2001 10:35 PM in reply to: aburman
No such luck, the FIND command launches a dialog box.
Dialog boxes can't be controlled by scripts or macros in LT.
I wish that all new commands also had command line
versions like "insert" and "-insert".

Conny


patrick_aps wrote:
>
> If it is a one-time-to do thing, you could make a scirpt, which opens
> the DWG one by one and then does the command:find (if you can run it
> from a script),
> but i don't know how to stop it if it finds something.
> Perhaps AutoManger View can do so.
> 30-day tial downloadable form www.cyco.com.
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the future of the Autodesk Community? To participate in this brief usability study, please click here. Your time and input is greatly appreciated!