Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SwitchSpace Variable

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
mcapri92
377 Views, 11 Replies

SwitchSpace Variable

I have recently upgraded to LT 2012 from LT 2009.  In 2009 I was able to double click on text in paperspace to edit it.  On occassion it would click through to Modelspace but not usually.  Now in 2012 it seems to click to modelspace every time.  I searched online and found the switchspace variable but it does not seem to be a valid command in LT 2012.  Did the name change?  Is there another way to stop the double click to change into a modelspace viewport?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
heinsite
in reply to: mcapri92

You should be able to do this without clicking thru.  Are you able to simply select the text and right click edit it?  I had no trouble doing what you described with either single or multi line text.

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 3 of 12
mcapri92

I have right click set to repeat last command.  When I left click the text once it selects fine.  When I double left click the text it pops into modelspace with textedit command open and looking to select text.

Message 4 of 12
heinsite

Oooo, that's really not a good idea, sorry to say.  By setting your right click to repeat the last command you've inadvertently disabled a LOT of functionality in AutoCAD.  By default you get access to many menus and functions with a right click... but you've lost them, it isn't worth the "cost", and may somehow be related to your troubles.  There are other ways to get the last command.  You can get it by pressing the spacebar or up arrow.  I suggest you reset things back to the default and see if that affects the click thru problem.  Even if it doesn't you'll be better off.

Dave.

Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 5 of 12
mcapri92

I realize I have disabled some of the newer functionality. For me it is quicker as I was trained back with AutoCad 6 when everything was keyboard driven and still work that way. I will try turning it back on to see if it effects the double click issue, but would still like to find a solution if there is one.
Message 6 of 12
heinsite

This is kind of a first step.  If it fixes the problem, you're done.  Otherwise we'll have to continue looking.

For you it's time to move on to the new way of doing things.  There's too much in the right click functionality now to give it up.  What you think you'd gained you really lose more.

Dave.

Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 7 of 12
mcapri92
in reply to: heinsite

I turned all the menus back on and it is still switching into the viewport instead of opening up the texteditor.  I do see the texteditor in the menu but I am still quicker typing in a shortcut than using a menu.  For me personally I have always found the menu systems slow me down.  I have tried at a few different times and never found the additional features to be useful or speedier than my old fashioned ways.  

Message 8 of 12
heinsite

It's time for you to go into the CUI then and look at what the Double Click Action macro is for Text and MText then.  Text should look like the attached.  MText should be ^C^C_mtedit.  If the macro for these is blank, fix them and see if that solves the problem.

Dave.

Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 9 of 12
heinsite
in reply to: heinsite

Have you changed anything else on your system?  The CUI mods might not fix this either, even if those double click actions were blanked.  You might want to run a Repair of your installation if nothing else works.  So far I haven't found any system variables that might change this.

Dave.

Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 10 of 12
Imui

Have you tried to type the edit command and then select your text?

"ed"

space or enter or right click

select object

Message 11 of 12
pendean

What size is your APBOX? AUTOSNAP variable setting? Zoomed out too far, does zooming in fix the problem? PICKFIRST turned on? Did you buy a new mouse? install new mouse drivers?

Upsize your screen with the upgrade? Window resolution higher?

My guess is you are missing the text entirely, so you need to find out why (we can't remotely help with it, only suggest things to try). There is no difference between 2012 and 2009, nothing changed. I can double-click on text over viewports all day long and never click through a viewport unless I miss.

Message 12 of 12
mcapri92
in reply to: pendean

I have looked through the CUI files and everything looks proper there. It does work to key in the command ED and then select the text and that is what I had been doing as a work around, though I found old habits of double clicking were hard to break. When I double clicked the text it did recognize the double click and execute the edit text command but it was also switching to modelspace at the same time. So I wind up in modelspace with AutoCAD text edit command running asking for a text selection. It does not matter if I am zoomed in or out and yes Pickfirst was on. There was no additional hardware upgrades at any point since the upgrade. A new thing I have discovered is it appears to be file related. I tried creating a new file this morning instead using the template files I have been working with. The new file did not click into modelspace and let me edit the text just fine. I tried all my template files and some work while others are a problem. Not sure if this helps narrow the issue down. I have purged the non-working files and it has not made any difference. Thank you for all the help and suggestions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost