Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid Custom Hatch

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
A7Apprentice
920 Views, 19 Replies

Solid Custom Hatch

Good morning,

I am trying to set up a custom hatch pattern of a rather detailed granite stonework that we use quite commonly in the practice.

I thought I alsmost had it, but sadly when I try to apply the hatch it just comes out as solid. AutoCad attempts to "automatically adjust the hatch scale", but sadly this does nothing.

We are using AutoCad LT 2012 and I have attached the custom hatch pattern. Does anyone have any suggestions / solutions?

Kind Regards.

Tags (3)
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
3wood
in reply to: A7Apprentice

Have you tried tested larger hatch scale?

Message 3 of 20
A7Apprentice
in reply to: 3wood

Hi 3Wood,

Yea, I bumped it up to the maximum scale possible (and minimum just in case) and it still comes out as a solid hatch sadly.

Message 4 of 20
pendean

Maximum scale? Where are you doing that exactly?
Message 5 of 20
A7Apprentice
in reply to: pendean

Hi Pendean,

Sorry, when I say "increasing it to the maximum scale", I just meant using the "hatch edit" command. Basically, I would assume that it comes out as a solid hatch because the hatch was at too small of a scale, but even increasing the scale to "99999999" has the same solid outcome.

Message 6 of 20
pendean

Post a DWG with the hatch in it and problem present, let's all have a look at it in action.
Message 7 of 20
A7Apprentice

Hi Pendean,

I've attached a simple file, just a rectangle with the granite wall hatch applied to it. I have left the scale at "1000". No matter what the scale is though, it always comes out solid.

Just in case it comes out differently on your screen, I've also attached a screenshot of what I am seeing.

I also attached the actual .pat in the first post if this is required for you to view it properly.

Cheers.

Message 8 of 20
rkmcswain

You don't see too many 4MB PAT files. Where did this originate and has it ever been used successfully in any version of AutoCAD?
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 9 of 20
A7Apprentice

Hi rkmcswain,

It's a custom hatch that I attempted to prepare myself. I have to say I've never attempted creating a hatch before and it is of a very detailed pattern. I used "DrawHatch" to create it. I only made it a couple of days ago and no luck in getting it to work on any computer sadly.

We are using AutoCAD LT 2012 in our office if that's important.

Cheers.

Message 10 of 20
pendean

AutoCAD doesn't know what to do with your custom hatch: it won't even explode it.

My guess is it's too complex or just has a major error in it somewhere (sorry, way too long for me to read through every line).
Message 11 of 20
rkmcswain

I agree with Dean. I'm not saying a 4MB hatch pattern is not possible, but I've never seen one so large and it's not working.

Is this the command you used?
http://www.mladengradev.com/en/create-custom-hatches-in-autocad/

Message 12 of 20
pendean
in reply to: rkmcswain

I used SCALE command to scale it up 1000 times and AutoCAD still complained it's too dense a pattern when I saved and reopened it. It still showed solid: even HATCHEDIT's scaling did nothing in either direction.

I think it is just badly coded by that app.
Message 13 of 20
doni49

Using Acad, draw a sketch of what you WANT your hatch pattern to look like.

DEAN:  Wouldn't the scale command just create a larger shape which in turn would multiply the area that the hatch needs to cover (thereby causing even more of a memory issue)?

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 14 of 20
A7Apprentice

Hi Pendean,

I had a feeling it might have been. Any tips on simplifying hatches? Or perhaps even creating them in the first place? It's an alien subject to myself sadly, but resolving this particular hatch would be extremely beneficial to our office. We're currently copying and pasting it on to walls then having to trim / delete and excess, wasting a lot of time. Haha.

Message 15 of 20
rkmcswain

@A7Apprentice wrote:

Hi Pendean,

.....Any tips on simplifying hatches? Or perhaps even creating them in the first place? 

The 'how-to' has been documented by Autodesk pretty much the same since the beginnings:

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2014/ENU/files/GUID-A6F2E6FF-1717-44B6-A476-0CA817ADD77E.htm

You might also search around to find something that is close enough for your needs:

http://www.dotsoft.com/acadhatch.htm

http://www.cadhatch.com/

http://cadtips.cadalyst.com/node/tiplisting?tid=100

As a last resort, you could also look into using the Express Tool "SuperHatch"

Message 16 of 20
A7Apprentice
in reply to: doni49

Hi Doni,

I created a quick dwg of the hatch that I am actually trying to create. I've attached it to this post. As you can see, it's not exactly a straight forward one, but it looks very professional when applied. The only problem is it takes hours to apply it by copying/pasting/trimming.

Thanks for the guide Swain, although I have a feeling that coding something like the attached pattern might be slightly out of my league. Haha - that's why I used this "DrawHatch" software.

Thanks for the link to the other libraries though, there are some very useful looking ones in there.

Message 17 of 20
rkmcswain

Attached is a drawing showing your pattern as used by SuperHatch.

Message 18 of 20
A7Apprentice

Ahhh, that is what we're looking for! Sadly it would appear out version of Autocad doesn't have "superhatch". We're running AutoCAD LT 2012... Going to assume this is another feature not meant for LT?

Message 19 of 20
rkmcswain

Oops, missed that from the beginning.
There is a dedicated AutoCAD LT forum here:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-LT/ct-p/2000

You are correct, LT does not include the Express Tools, nor can it use them.
Message 20 of 20
A7Apprentice

Ahh, OK, sorry I missed that one. Thanks for all your help regardless. I'll take the query there and see if anyone has any further ideas!

Cheers all.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost