Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow to open files from network drive

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
fairhavenhomes
5468 Views, 13 Replies

Slow to open files from network drive

Hi All,

A lot of your users are having trouble opening files from a network drive. They open really slow (2 - 3 minutes) and the program is unresponsive in that time.

We are using Autocad LT 2014 and have service pack 1 installed.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
pendean
in reply to: fairhavenhomes

Define the "network drive" please, plus how are you all connected to it?
Also, is this a new problem?
What was different when you all did not have this issue?
Message 3 of 14
fairhavenhomes
in reply to: pendean

Network drive is mapped to our server via IP address on M:

Server is Windows Server 2008 R2 with Dual Xeons and 20Gb of RAM or thereabouts.

Problem is new as of the past 1 - 2 weeks. As far as I'm aware, nothing has changed. I have been through the latest round of windows updates and cant see anything that would affect network performance. Pinging the server for 100 pings returns an average speed of <1 ms and all other files open fast.

Message 4 of 14
fairhavenhomes

Actually we did recently install Sharepoint Foundations 2013. But I cant see how that would affect it. It was not even configured until 2 days ago and the problem was there before then.

Message 5 of 14

We have worked out that its to do with the xref files. The files are tiny (less than 200kb) so I dont understand why they are causing the program to hang for 2-5 minutes.

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance

Message 6 of 14
pendean

XREF File location or XREF attachment method: again, you're not proving much information. What did you discover and what have you tried to fix it?
Message 7 of 14
fairhavenhomes

Sorry I am IT support and know very little about autocad. DIdn't even know what an xref was until yesterday!

Files are stored on the server which is mapped to m: via ip address. As far as the xref attachement method I will have to get back to you.

While opening a file I noticed that the status of one file it was opening was taking a long time. The file in question was an xref attachment. We removed all xref's from the file and then saved and closed. When we reopened it it opened up nice and quick and didn't cause autocaed to hang.

Message 8 of 14
pendean

Concentrate on the XREF location and how it's pathed inside the top file: that's usually why things run slow (AutoCAD and/or Windows are looking for needed content).
Message 9 of 14

I tried replacing the AECCORE.CRX file as suggested here. But it made no difference.

Message 10 of 14
fairhavenhomes

But why would that have suddenly become slow? Nothing to do with the path has changed.

Message 12 of 14
fairhavenhomes

Thanks for your reply Pendean. However most of those links are about getting autocad and sharepoint to work together. That is not what we are trying to do. I only mentioned sharepoint becuase that is the only thing that has recently changed on the server although i'm sure this problem started before sharepoint was installed.

Message 13 of 14
pendean

You stated that's the only thing that has changed: perhaps more has changed than that? If not Then I can't help much more: 90% of folks around here use servers for files and XREFs.
Message 14 of 14

what is the bandwidth?

Thank you,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost