Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Layout-Switch and UNDO when other PC is off

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
ThomasSlg
590 Views, 2 Replies

Slow Layout-Switch and UNDO when other PC is off

Hallo @all,

i've got the problem, that AutoCAD LT 2011 (and 2009) is verry slow on some PCs, only if my PC is off.

Switching from one Layout to another takes about 4 seconds each time.

Same on UNDO-Commands.

I installed wireshark on my PC to look what happens.

Everytime a user switches between layouts or run "undo", the System-Process of their PCs opens a TCP-connection

to my PC on Port 445 and transfers data from/to the IPC$ share.

If my PC is off, AutoCAD waits for an answer for a few seconds (timeout) before it continues.

My PC: Windows 7 SP1 32Bit, AutoCAD LT 2011 (with update 2)

Other PCs: Windows 7 SP1 64Bit and Windows XP SP3, AutoCAD LT 2011 (with update 2)

(same Problem with AutoCAD LT 2009)

Server: Windows 2008

PlotStyles and Plotter-Configurations are stored on the Server.

There are no XREFs or linked pictures in the drawing - Same problem on new/empty drawings.

There are no shared Folders/Printers on my PC.

I couldn't find any entries to my PC-Name or IP-Address in the AutoCAD-Configuration or Windows-Registry

We don't use an AutoCAD Licensing-Server / no network-license / every PC has its own AutoCAD-License (2x 5-seats, 2x 1-seat)

Hope anyone has an idea.

PS:

I found thread from 2007 whith the same problem in this forum, but no solution.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2008/Weird-issue-PC-gets-slow-when-another-is-shut-off/td-p/21...

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
pendean
in reply to: ThomasSlg

You appear to be describing an application or system time-out, typical of a lost connection or missing resource or folder.

So what changed recently?

I assume there is content (AutoCAD) or resource (Windows) on your PC that either the server links back to, or you link to the Server that everyone else is using. Start by checking Windows shortcuts and then shared content. I assume you are the network administrator, hence the connectivity issues?

OR... everyone opens files on your PC constantly and when your PC is off their systems can no longer find the missing content.

Remember, Windows and AutoCAD 'remember' and keep track of recent files and locations accessed and spend some time and effort looking for them when they are unavailable.

Message 3 of 3
ThomasSlg
in reply to: pendean

Hi penden and thanx for your answer.

I tried a lot and found the reason for the problem.

There is a Windows-Service in XP called "Distributed Link Tracking Client service" (TrkWks)

This service checks every link if the targetfile exists.

If the targetfile don't exist the service tries to find it each time a program access to its folder - the target-file could be moved to another folder, an other server or PC.

In my case there was a link in the plotstyle-folder on the Server called "Add-A-Plot Style Table Wizard.lnk" witch pointed to "styshwiz.exe" in the folder of AutoCAD 2012-testversion (c:\...).

This version of AutoCAD is only on my PC - so the TrkWks-service of other PCs couldn't find it on theire PC and tried to find it on my PC.

The other users don't have write-access to the plotstyles-folder, so the link couldn't  be updated.

I finally deleted the "Add-A-Plot Style Table Wizard.lnk" from the PlotStyles-Directory on the Server

and the "Add-A-Plotter Wizard.lnk" from the Plotters-Directory on the Server

(where the pc3-files are stored)

After this there wasn't any network-transfer from the other PCs to my PC anymore.

nice weekend

Thomas B.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost