Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple XREF situation, weird result...

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
patrick.van.den.noortgaete
1110 Views, 8 Replies

Simple XREF situation, weird result...

Hi guys,

I use AUTUCAD LT 2015.

I'm doing a simple sequence of actions and the result is weird. So what's wrong?

I create a drwawing; Simple one, just a rectangle with a diagonal.

Call it "XREF - baseplan - rectangle"

I create a second drawing, no settings changed, a circle inside.

Call it "XREF - circle".

I open my BASEPLAN, choose INSERT/ATTACH, choose the "CIRCLE".

Then I can choose the insertion point, I select the middle of the diagonal.

Don't see it at the right scale, which I would expect as I changed nothing in the files.

With Zoom EXTENT I can discover the 2 OBJECTS but..

The "CIRCLE" is in the "BASEPLAN", but small, miles apart form the center of the diagonal and not even a circle anymore but an "octangular object".

What's happening here?

I kept it simple and such a mess...

Thank you for any feedback

Patrick

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Welcome to the Forums

Check that both x-refs have been drawn with the same base point. Your best bet is to use 0,0

Your circle is still a circle. It's just there is a display setting you need to change. Do the following

Click on TOOLS

Choose OPTIONS

On the DISPLAY TAB you will see DISPLAY RESOLUTION

Change both of those numbers. I have them at 20000 each.

Your circle should now go back to being a circle with a quick REGEN of your drawing

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 9

patrick.van.den.noortgaete wrote:

The "CIRCLE" is in the "BASEPLAN", but small, miles apart form the center of the diagonal and not even a circle anymore but an "octangular object".

As stated, the circle is still a circle, it's a display issue. A simple REGEN will clear it up.

Setting VIEWRES to a higher number won't necessarily fix it as shown below. Anytime you have entities that are "miles" apart, if you can manage to zoom in on one of them, and there are curves involved, they will almost always look segmented. When they are "miles" apart and the circle is just a dot on the screen, AutoCAD doesn't need to do the calculations to make it show up like a true circle, so if you're able to zoom in to actually see the circle, it will still be segmented. Just do a REGEN to update.

2kvr.png

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 4 of 9

@rkmcswain wrote:
@patrick.van.den.noortgaete wrote:

As stated, the circle is still a circle, it's a display issue. A simple REGEN will clear it up.

Setting VIEWRES to a higher number won't necessarily fix it as shown below. Anytime you have entities that are "miles" apart, if you can manage to zoom in on one of them, and there are curves involved, they will almost always look segmented. When they are "miles" apart and the circle is just a dot on the screen, AutoCAD doesn't need to do the calculations to make it show up like a true circle, so if you're able to zoom in to actually see the circle, it will still be segmented. Just do a REGEN to update.

2kvr.png

YEP! In fact I only saw that octo once, even at some point with a circle around it! Later after some zooming, deleting  etc, I din't see it this way anymore.

AC made probably a REGEN of its own...

What you say makes sence of course, especially to save effort from the engine's side...

Thank you!

Message 5 of 9

@hwalker wrote:

Welcome to the Forums

Check that both x-refs have been drawn with the same base point. Your best bet is to use 0,0

>>>Is there a reason if I open both drawings made from the same template, that the xref are changed? I would think not.

>>>Anyway I found that I had to use the INSBASE command in my Xref file. That allows you to insert the file at the point you want.

>>>Thank you for the input! Will continue to play... and learn. 🙂

Message 6 of 9

@hwalker wrote:

Welcome to the Forums

>>>Is there a reason if I open both drawings made from the same template, that the xref are changed? I would think not.

When you xref a drawing. It xrefs what is in modelspace, NOT paperspace. So even if you have two layouts which look how you wish in paperspace, the elements drawing in modelspace could be in wildy different areas.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 7 of 9

@hwalker wrote:

Welcome to the Forums

<...>

__________________________________________________________________________________

>>>I made a little test, both drawings, one rect and one circle, initializing the first point at (0,0).

That brings the overlay circle indeed automatically at the same insertion point of the rect, both (0,0).

But that is not necesarily the position you want.

Also I guess almsot nobody would start a drawing like that, which does not want to say that it wouldn't be a good custom.

Can you make that part of the TEMPLATE to start a drawing? That would be nice.

I mean that automatically your first point, be it a POLYLINE, LINE, CIRCLE, RECTANGLE etc, starts with (0,0)?

Usually you open and start drawing, without paying attention to the coord of the first insertion point.

It would requier some consistancy between the different drawers, not evident...

I meanwhile discovered that using the command INSBASE in the XREF file, solves that, but you just have to know it...

You can then choose where you will insert the "basepoint" of the file...

But anyway, also a good solution . Thank you! 🙂

Thank you for your input!

Message 8 of 9

@hwalker wrote:

@hwalker wrote:

Welcome to the Forums

When you xref a drawing. It xrefs what is in modelspace, NOT paperspace. So even if you have two layouts which look how you wish in paperspace, the elements drawing in modelspace could be in wildy different areas.

>>>Yes indeed. The different VP's in PS can be zoomed in on the OBJECTS, which are still "miles apart" in MS!

Message 9 of 9

I wrote:..

Don't see it at the right scale, which I would expect as I changed nothing in the files.

>>>Probably interesting to know.

I plaid around a little and found out the if the UCS icon is set to world the XREF will insert "miles apart".

In fact the scale in my case was correct, as the insertion scale of the source file (to be inserted) was set at the same as the target file.

>>>So nothing wrong with the 'insertioon) scale.

With Zoom EXTENT I can discover the 2 OBJECTS but.. The "CIRCLE" is in the "BASEPLAN", but small, miles apart

>>>Prior to executing the XREF command, I changed the UCS icon from WORLD to the point where I wanted the insertion to happen, for ex on the corner of the rectangle. It inserted right there where I wanted it!

Changing the UCS in the source file to be inserted did not matter.

So again, first in your target file, put the UCS icon there where you want the insertion to happen.

>>>Another way is offered in the dailog window coming with the XREF command. There you can specify that you will choose on screen the insertion point ...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost