Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set the Default Layer Setting in Hatch command to "Use Current"

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
Anonymous
48658 Views, 21 Replies

Set the Default Layer Setting in Hatch command to "Use Current"

In the hatch dialogue there is a setting to target the hatch to a specific layer. How does one set the default to ALWAYS be "Use Current"?

Attached jpg shows the target layer as ffbrg, but I want that to ALWAYS read "Use Current" when creating a NEW hartch. In other words, I am happily working in a specific layer creating all these hatches and then realize LATER that all the hatches were in different layers causing great confusiion and havoc. 

Please help!!

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Click on that pulldown and select USE CURRENT, then proceed with the hacth in question to complete the command. It will then stick until you change it.

Tap that HELP button below where you highlighted and HELP in AutoCAD tells you that option is tied to a variable called HPLAYER: clicking on that link tells you the variable is a PER DRAWING setting only so now you know it needs to be set in each file.

LT is limited on startup options so it may not be possible to set it all the time in all existing files unless you always want to restart AutoCAD every time.

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous

Thank you! Problem resolved (I hope!)

Message 4 of 22
NegreteKolar
in reply to: pendean

This issue is NOT resolved. It is actually the one issue that I hate about AutoCAD right now.

Setting the HPLAYER to "use current layer" works temporarily UNTIL you make the mistake of using the "Inherit Properties" button of the hatch dialog. As soon as you do that, the HPLAYER is reset to the layer of the object you inherited the properties from. DRIVES ME ABSOLUTELY MAD. Please fix this so that inherited properties do not reset HPLAYER.

Message 5 of 22
pendean
in reply to: NegreteKolar

"INHERIT PROPERTIES" is doing it's job: there is nothing to fix, and there is nothing to set what is inherted, it's just doing what you are asking it to do in that one instance.

Start HATCH again and it's back to USE CURRENT here, if that's what you meant, post back with your exact AutoCAD?LT version. Otherwise a user action is not a bug, just an unfortunate circumstance of not understanding the command you are using.

Message 6 of 22
NegreteKolar

I use autocad LT 2013.

With all due respect but the "Layer" in the hatch dialog does NOT reset back to "Use Current Layer" after you use the "Inherit properties" it stays set to whatever layer you inherited.

I've tried this on a brand new drawing, over and over and I always get the same result. Not user error.

Also I never said it was a bug.

Message 7 of 22
pendean

LT2013 is a bug 🙂

Try the latest patch and see if that fixes it: I'm not using LT2013 in production just yet.

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous

See this tip at cadalyst "Reset Hatch Variables After Using match Properties in the Hatch Editor" It is in the form of a macro, and should be useful in LT as well as "big brother" too

Jimbo

Message 9 of 22
pendean

At the bottom of the Link page noted above is the real tip:

"The “addselected” command (Introduced in AutoCAD 2010 Subscription pack), can do the trick too. Select the hatch you want, right click and select “Add Selected” or if your AutoCAD settings (PICKFIRST & SHORTCUTMENU)doesn’t allow it, run the command “addselected” then pick the hatch. This will enable you to duplicate a hatch without affecting your current hatch settings."

Now that's a better way to do what the OP does without invoking HATCH command and the limitation noted.

The macro posted is useless for LT users BTW, it needs to be edited without Lisp (I added the launch of the HATCH command at the end, that way anyone can use it as one button click instead of two button clicks):

^C^C_HPANG;0;_HPBACKGROUNDCOLOR;.;_HPCOLOR;.;_HPLAYER;.;_HPNAME;.;_HPSCALE;1;_HPTRANSPARENCY;.;_HATCH

Message 10 of 22
Anonymous

Thanks Dean. I knew if I pointed you in the the general direction you would come up with the 'The Right Answer" Jim "Ain't No Expert"
Message 11 of 22
pendean

No worries, this is a team response area and all input is valid. Thanks for the link and tip.

Message 12 of 22
taituai

I'm using AutoCAD 2014 and the issue match properties still has the same problem. This needs to fixed instead of offering alterative solutions like 'add selected' command.

You should be able to inherit properties of a hatch and keep the default to "use current".

Why can't Autodesk fix an obvious problem instead of offering pain in the **** alternative solutions. We pay a lot of money for a product and you would expect it to work the way you want.

Kind regards,

Tai

Message 13 of 22
pendean
in reply to: taituai

Since AutoCAD has never really worked as simplistically as you wish, and AutoCAD does rely on variables settings for almost anything it does, plus your desired method is not another users desired method, that's never going to happen.
Learn to use the program fully, don't fight it. You have the power to take control, that it what the solution posted is all about.
Message 14 of 22
Anonymous

"We pay a lot of money for a product and you would expect it to work the way you want."

Agreed, I've had the exact same problem and someone found an actual solution that works and is simple

I tried the HPLAYER command: got the option to change the layer to the current default layer, which it insisted I needed to retype to set it to "use current" (which of course didn't work).

If the above link is dead: In AutoCAD LT2014: type "hatch", go to "properties" on the top ribbon of burrons (the properties buttons is a long thin button on the underside of the ribbon), then chosoe the layer in the dropdown box.

THIS IS THE POST YOU ARE LOOKING FOR

Message 15 of 22
m_rogoff

The real pain in the @*$! is when you chose a hatch from the tool palette. The properties are pre-set to a specific layer, but only works when the HPLAYER is set to "."  Arrghhh!!!

I am on Acad 2014 LT.

Message 16 of 22
pendean
in reply to: m_rogoff

Correct, it does that: seems many of the HP variable do that.
Message 17 of 22
John_in_NZ

This has been infuriating me in Autocad 2015, and what I've ended up doing is editing the command in the CUI.

If you search for hatch in your current workspace and edit the "macro" line to read:

^C^CHPLAYER;.;_bhatch 

Then every time you select "HATCH" from the ribbon, your new hatch will always be created on the current layer.

Also, based on the "new features" presentation we've just had for 2016 verticals, be prepared to implement a similar workaround for the new style of dimensioning in 2016.

HTH

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous

Quick question, what command do i use to get to this dialogue box on a mac ? Or how do i prompt this dialogue box in anyway.

Message 19 of 22
John_in_NZ

Unfortunately I've got zero Mac experience, but I would suggest that you can probably get into the menu customisation by typing "CUI" on the command line.

Then, as I said above, do a search for "HATCH" within your current workspace, and edit the macro line.

HTH, but if it's a foreign language to you, do some reading about editing the CUI on the Mac, and that should get you back on track ... Smiley Happy 

Message 20 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: John_in_NZ

Thank you for your reply. I got a good solution. For MAC ussers and i do not know if this applies the same for WIN.

To change hatch dialogue box prompts & make hatches associative and to use the current layer,

there are two variations of the hatch window. to alternate between them you need the HPDLGMODE command.

Type HPDLGMODE and when prompted you choose between mode 1, a more elaborate version of the hatch editing window that will prompt now when you type the HATCH command after setting the HPDLGMODE to 1, or 2 for the simpler hatch editing window.

If you set the chosen layer in mode 1 to current layer or associative and so forth and apply a hatch, then retype the HPDLGMODE command and choose 2 this time to prompt the simpler hatch editing menu when you type the HATCH command your hatches should not follow the settings that were set in hatch dialogue window mode 1.

Robot Embarassed

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost