Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

self-intersecting curves

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Crass
331 Views, 1 Reply

self-intersecting curves

...are the bain of my existence. How do you troublehoot them? Also, from a theoretical standpoint, why would one use REGIONS over a closed loop poly? What are the advantages or characteristics that make them useful. Somebody told me I should use them. How does the BOUNDARY command fit into this as well? 

My problem is this. I make lots of complex curvy shapes that I need to hatch and do area take-offs for. When trimming or breaking curves in these shapes, which is so often necessary because many of these shapes have a shared border, it is so easy to produce a self-intersecting curve which will throw off your area value or make it so the Hatch will not even produce an area #. Is there an easy way to find these instances. I would love to know if there is because I hate them and they waste so much of my time. Ugh

-----
AutoCAD 2018/2021
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2021
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
drjohn
in reply to: Crass

I have found it helpful in situation like that to edit the pline.

Let me explain.  🙂

pedit > select polyline > select edit from the command line options.

This will make an X on the starting vertex of the pline.  When you hit enter again the little X will move to the next vertex.  If it jumps backward you have an overlapping area in your pline and now you know where it is. Edit and repair and yer good to go.

HTH

Regards,

DJ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost