Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scale menu

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
879 Views, 8 Replies

scale menu

okay this might be really complicated but i was just curious

my company has a menu which you can select a scale (changes text, leaders, blocks, etc.) for 1/4", 1/2", 1". I was curious as to if it is possible to add a 3/4" scale to this menu. i know the menu is loaded (cuiload) and was created before i started. I think we had someone set this us for our company. is there a way to modify the menu to add in 3/4"? if it is a lot of work to figure out or to explain i understand. our company standards are different for one client so it would make things easier for us.

Thanks,

Roy
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Annotative Text and blocks eliminated all of that since AutoCAD/LT 2008.

If there is one scale, you can add another: but you only shared a pretty but
useless screenshot, so hopefully you know what to do.

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

I am with Dean on this. Hit F1 and start reading into Annotation Objects, starting with Cannoscale in modelspace. It may be worth your while to start by creating a template with one of the default scales you use on a regular basis, as its Cannoscale. Then all you do to change it on a per-client basis is go to the taskbar in modelspace and select the scale from the list that pops up. It's that simple, although setting it up in the first place takes some learning and trial and error. To try to add to the programming you have would require knowledge of the CUI, how to hunt down where his add-on menu is located, and how to open it up, read and interpret, and modify it.

Let us know how you fare with the annotation objects thing 🙂 -- there are many helpful free resources available here and elsewhere...
Message 4 of 9
marchitect_nc

I do not understand this "Cannoscale" stuff. I have read the help (sic) information and your articles here Modman, but it's still Greek to me.

A typical sheet will have several different scales utilized; the floor plan at 1/4", a toilet room enlargement at 1/2" and some details at 1" for example.

Do I have to set the Cannoscale for each drawing I'm working on? And when do I set the Cannoscale, before I place text and dims, or some other time? Can I change it after it's been set? Say I want to change the scale of the drawing in a viewport from 1" to 3/4" what happens to Cannoscale then?

I just don't clearly see the concept here.

mg
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Viewports. Draw everything 1:1, but viewports in paperspace will have
various scales and with annotative scales the same dimension style works
in all of them, simply correcting by itself for the different scales
used in each viewport. Funny I understand it but don't use it since I
never have to deal with anything that complicated. Typically have 1
drawing with 1 or 2 details. Whatever scale I use for the main drawing,
the details are double that scale. Drawings and details created by
proprietary software and inserted as blocks. All I do in autocad is
dimension, hatch and fill in hatch index and title block. Done

On 4/22/2010 9:33 AM, marchitect_nc wrote:
> I do not understand this "Cannoscale" stuff. I have read the help (sic) information and your articles here Modman, but it's still Greek to me.
>
> A typical sheet will have several different scales utilized; the floor plan at 1/4", a toilet room enlargement at 1/2" and some details at 1" for example.
>
> Do I have to set the Cannoscale for each drawing I'm working on? And when do I set the Cannoscale, before I place text and dims, or some other time? Can I change it after it's been set? Say I want to change the scale of the drawing in a viewport from 1" to 3/4" what happens to Cannoscale then?
>
> I just don't clearly see the concept here.
>
> mg
Message 6 of 9
marchitect_nc

What does that have to do with Cannoscale?

Also, I see comments about setting it for the predominant scale used on a sheet. What if , as I tried to imply in the previous comment, the sheet doesn't have a predominant scale? All the viewports have a different scale. What then? Edited by: marchitect_nc on Apr 22, 2010 3:24 PM
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

CANNOSCALE is the name of the command that is the pulldown menu you use to
set/change a viewport or modelspace annotative scale (depends on how you
work).

Like how COLOR is the command name for the color menu, LINETYPE is the
command name for the linetype menu, LAYER is the command name for the layer
menu, and so on. I'm not sure what you are getting all excited about... .

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Cannoscale also exists in modelspace, and when I talk about it that's where I concentrate on its use. In paperspace I think in terms of viewport scale, which is accessed through the same scale list on the taskbar in paperspace AND in modelspace.

This came to be in 2008. The first thing it does is allow you to view linetypes in modelspace without necessarily having to scale them way up (and then use a global scaling setting so they scale way back down in a viewport). I do a lot of stuff in 1/4" or 1/8" scale, and set my cannoscale in modelspace to that. I can set all of those other variables to 1 and Lo and Behold, I can see my linetypes perfectly in modelspace AND in every paperspace viewport. Currently I am doing some things in 1/6" scale and even in 1"=30'-0" scale and I still can see the linetype, because I change the cannoscale in modelspace as necessary. It looks like it adjusts the scaling of the linetype in modelspace, and yet magically everything else remains set to 1 and still works in paperspace.

It doesn't end there though. If for example, you have created an annotation object such as a light switch (I advise to create all things in paperspace first, at the size that looks good to you when plotted), and you are in modelspace with your Cannoscale set to 3/16" = 1'-0", that object will insert already adjusted to the size you would see it at if you were in paperspace looking through a 3/16" scale viewport.

I used to not have a clue about Cannoscale in modelspace and so it was the default of 1:1 scale, so if I brought in that light switch it would be extremely tiny because it would be showing at the 1:1 scale. AutoCAD does have a warning box asking if this is the scale you want to insert stuff in, but somewhere along the line it stopped showing up on mine -- probably when I got wise to setting my Cannoscale!
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

Oh and about the predominant scale thing, I don't mean to be misleading. I was commenting from the way I work. A lot of my drawings are in those smaller scales, and I work on the model in modelspace a lot (until I get to the point of creating working drawings). I know my overall model will be plotted primarily in one of those scales, so that is what I am most comfortable seeing, so that's what I advise. But guess what, if you are dong lots of details at, say, 1 1/2" = 1'-0" or 3' = 1'-0" or whatever, adjust it to whatever you are working on in modelspace. Switch from one scale to the other to yet another. It makes no difference -- it is so you can see the linetype in modelspace without having to get into linetype scale overrides and global scaling!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost