Distinguished Contributor
jrintisch
Message 1 of 11 (436 Views)
Accepted Solution

REVCLOUD is finishing as concave

436 Views, 10 Replies
09-15-2011 12:33 PM

Hello,

About 40% of the time, the REVCLOUD command will finish the cloud as concave. It will start correctly and be correct the entire time I am surrounding an area on my drawing and then when the last arc joins the starting point the entire cloud become inverted. Why? Is there something I can do to make it not do this? I don't seem to have any control over how it finishes. When it completes backwards, I fix it using PEDIT > Decurve then I convert the Polyline into a cloud and it appears correctly. Is there a better way?

Jeremy

Cloud.JPG

I can go left to right all day and never trigger a flip as you describe it, but I can do it going right to left about 50% of the time as you describe. It's all in how you approach your start/end point it seems.

There is no variable to fix it, it just takes a lot of practice and single direction movement for us here.

Automation takes care of multiple-command selections: try a simple macro if needed.

I am so used to making a cloud counter-clock wise that it is hard to make a cloud in the clockwise direction. But your post intriged me and I found that if I start at the bottom of the cloud instead of the top, I don't have any inverted cloud issues. Thanks for your help.

Jeremy

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 11 (432 Views)

Re: REVCLOUD is finishing as concave

09-15-2011 12:40 PM in reply to: jrintisch

It's best to go left to right, not right to left, when drawing clouds, to avoid your issue.

It's even better if you just convert a RECTANG to a cloud using the same command REVCLOUD.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 3 of 11 (430 Views)

09-15-2011 12:49 PM in reply to: pendean

Nice tip on the RECTANG.

Will get better clouds that way. (Mine always look like puppies.)

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
jrintisch
Message 4 of 11 (427 Views)

09-15-2011 12:58 PM in reply to: pendean

Here is our typical cloud. Yes, we can use the PLINE and then convert, but that is two steps. I was just curious if I was missing something. I guess not. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Oh, and I go counter-clockwise... I think that is Right-to-Left, unless you start at the bottom of the cloud, then it is Left-to-Right. You mean clock-wise don't you.

Jeremy

Cloud.JPG

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 5 of 11 (422 Views)

09-15-2011 01:09 PM in reply to: jrintisch

I can go left to right all day and never trigger a flip as you describe it, but I can do it going right to left about 50% of the time as you describe. It's all in how you approach your start/end point it seems.

There is no variable to fix it, it just takes a lot of practice and single direction movement for us here.

Automation takes care of multiple-command selections: try a simple macro if needed.

jrintisch
Message 6 of 11 (418 Views)

09-15-2011 01:15 PM in reply to: pendean

With the macro idea, how do you do that when you have anywhere from 3 points (triangle) to dozens. I tried this in the past but couldn't make it work. Please share you expertise.

The code below works for 3 points, but what about more? Is there a way to suppress the counts that AutoCAD makes when entering the points?

^C^CPLINE non \non \non \;_REVCLOUD;object;last;no;

PLINE.JPG

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 7 of 11 (414 Views)

09-15-2011 01:24 PM in reply to: jrintisch

Your macro would only be for REVCLOUD command's conversion option.

jrintisch
Message 8 of 11 (405 Views)

09-15-2011 02:45 PM in reply to: pendean

I am so used to making a cloud counter-clock wise that it is hard to make a cloud in the clockwise direction. But your post intriged me and I found that if I start at the bottom of the cloud instead of the top, I don't have any inverted cloud issues. Thanks for your help.

Jeremy

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 9 of 11 (377 Views)

09-16-2011 06:35 AM in reply to: jrintisch

Thanks for sharing your discovery too.

Active Contributor
VeronicaSmith5891
Message 10 of 11 (240 Views)

04-08-2013 02:58 PM in reply to: pendean

This is so much easier!  I have to rev cloud single lines of text and I am always doing a bad job of it.  Changing the rectangle to a revcloud is so simple.  Thanks so much for this tip.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!