Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repair wizard asks to insert disk during dictionary reinstall but already there

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
BoPeep2015
416 Views, 6 Replies

Repair wizard asks to insert disk during dictionary reinstall but already there

Software:  Autocad Lt 2013

Action: installing dictionaries (Add or Remove Features)

I've recently done a new install of AutoCAD onto a new computer and am now am getting an error message to do with the main dictionary not being available.  I probably over-customised the installation (trying to avoid unneccessary dictionaries being installed). 

I know what I should do next:  Control Panel then right click AutocadLT to uninstall/change... and so far so good. I select Add/Remove features, check the dictionaries box (which was unchecked) and set the wizard going.

The issue I have is that part way through the repair process the wizard asks for the disc to be inserted, when it is already inserted.  I see from other forums that this is a common issue, but there is too wide a range of "fixes" and I just need the simplest.

1.  Is there a file that I should copy from the disk to my pc to allow the wizard to find it locally?

2.  Can I copy the files from my old HDD/previous installation (it was thankfully the motherboard that fried, not the hard disk) so that the program finds them?  If so which ones should I look for and where (presuming it could be appdata/Roaming etc...

Any help gratefully received.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pendean
in reply to: BoPeep2015

Copying the entire content of the disk to a folder on your PC before you run the installer is the most common cure for this most common issue.
Message 3 of 7
BoPeep2015
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for that - unfortunately it didn't work for me:  the installer insisted it wanted a disk (still there, waiting to be useful).

I tried again after a restart, in case it was trying to be too clever and remember where I'd been before, but that got the same result.  There is no option but to cancel the process at the impasse of the insert disk message and the wizard told me that the repair had failed.... HOWEVER....the good bit is that the semi-complete installation seems to have installed the dictionaries even though the installation is apparently incomplete.

That is fine for now...but if anyone reading this is able to post a getaround, I like the idea that I can repair the installation another time (if i need to) without having the disk message.  It seems to me from the success (for others) of the previous post/solution that I need to persuade the wizard to look on the hard disk (if I copy the disk contents there again) rather than it continuing to insist that it wants to read something off a disk. Anybody know of a way to do that?

Message 4 of 7
pendean

Grab the 2013 installation file,sans disk, here to keep on your PC and use it for future reinstalls o that the 'disk' is forgotten: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/topics/account-management/software-downloads/download-methods/virtual-...

BTW, if this turns out to be a Win8 quirk you will be out of luck for any official fix: it's not a supported OS (whether it works or not is not relevant).

Message 5 of 7
BoPeep2015

Thanks for this..I'll bookmark the link for any future issues.  Thanks for your help.

I suppose it could be a windows 8 thing - although I'm sure some of the discussions I met online about the issue predate windows 8 - but I didn't get much choice of OS given the urgency of a new machine.  I thought I might as well embrace it and its touchy-feeliness and deal with incompatibilities given the computer chose to die (how inconsiderate) before windows 10 appeared. 

Once windows 10 is up and running I'll upgrade to whatever AutoCAD has that works with it..although if I'm right pretty much everything is subscription and auto-update now so why wait...

Message 6 of 7
pendean

Grab the download now, it will not be there forever.

Autodesk is changing upgrades starting Feb 1 and then soon afterwards http://t.co/qEsY2onZSV

Can't wait for Win10 either: Win8/8.1 reminds me of WinME, half-baked and not really ready for the world.
Message 7 of 7
BoPeep2015

Thanks.  Sought, downloaded and saved.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost