Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redefining dynamic block alters existing blocks

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
gccdesign
3252 Views, 5 Replies

Redefining dynamic block alters existing blocks

Using 2011 LT, and probably the same on earlier versions.

I have one dwg file where I keep my blocks.

I make dynamic and annotative blocks when I need them, and keep them there.

What I found is that lets say I have a drawing with several plan views say, and a hundred or so dynamic blocks in use. Like a detail call-out.

If I decide to make a modification to the detail call-out dynamic block, save it in my block file, then go back to the working drawing and redefine the block, it then will reset all the blocks of that type in the working drawing.

So if I have a detail call out block with stretch, rotate, flip and such in use, all these get reset in the working drawing, essentially wreaking on the working drawing. This then requires that I revisit each one of those blocks and make sure it's indicating the right thing.

So my request here is that somehow the existing blocks can be redefined to the new parameters and functions of the revised block without resetting them all over the place.

Meanwhile I have a new policy which is to make a new version of the block with a new name when I change it so that I can use in an existing drawing without scrambling the old versions of the blocks.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: gccdesign

Message 3 of 6
Charles_Shade

Interesting, LT 2008 here.

-I started a new clean drawing. Inserted a block several times manipulating various actions and then modified the block in the BE. None of the existing blocks changed or otherwise reset. The new action was available in all the previously inserted blocks.

-Opened the same block from its container drawing. Made nearly the same modification, inserted and redefined the blocks in the previous drawing. They did not reset or otherwise change except to now reflect the added action to the source block.

I know 2011 platforms introduced new block commands and variables. It would be surprising if one of them was checked to reset all exsting blocks by default; if there is such an animal.

Message 4 of 6
gccdesign
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Hmm. . . .

I'm going to try what you did, experiment some.

So far what I've had happen was just while working, and not a "controlled experiment".

GC

Message 5 of 6
gccdesign
in reply to: Charles_Shade

OK, I tried what you said with pretty much the same results.

What I found was that with say, rotation.

If I pasted in some blocks and rotated them, then went back to my container drawing and added a flip or something, then saved and came back to my test drawing and redefined, all it did was add the new capability.

But, if I erased the original rotation parameter and action and replaced it, then when I came back to the test drawing and redefined, it reset them all to original rotation.

But if I carefully deleted only the rotation action, leaving the rotation parameter intact, then added the action back, then did the save and redefine in the test drawing, then it didn't reset the rotation of the blocks.

I don't think you can really ask for anything else. Just watch how you edit dynamic blocks that are already littered around drawings you might work on again.

GC

Message 6 of 6
Charles_Shade

That sounds reasonable. If an Action is redefined, not added, I should think the block would reset as you described now that the DynBlk no longer has its original parameters.

Thanks for the info.

Please remember to check Solved if your question has been answered

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost