Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read only when shouldn't be

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
djpclarke
743 Views, 8 Replies

Read only when shouldn't be

I'm having problems opening certain dwgs.

when I come to open them, it say's read only, however there is not a dwg. that is open with the same file name, so this shouldn't happen.

I cannot explain this or know what to do.

Can anyone let me know how you can change the read only into the original dwg. as it should be?

thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: djpclarke

A workaround might be to open it read only anyway, save as a different file name and then resave as the original file name...

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 3 of 9
drjohn

Another option is that if it was restored from a back-up or from a CD/DVD storage media they will usually be read only when restored.

Try thru Windows Explorer to see the properties of the file(s) and change the read-only setting there.

Regards,

DJ

Message 4 of 9
djpclarke
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

Bob

I have tried that and it won't allow me to. It keeps saying it's drawing file is write protected.

any clues??

Message 5 of 9
djpclarke
in reply to: drjohn

DJ

Have done that also, but will still not allow me to open it up as a normal dwg.

This particular dwg. is used as an x-ref. when I double click the block in the main dwg. to which it's path is saved to it says xref cannot be checked out for editing: (saved location). A file lock already exists on the drawing.

What is a file lock and how do I turn it off?

Message 6 of 9
drjohn

If you are saving as a different filename that would not happen, typically.

If that is an issue, try saving it in a different folder with a different filename.

Regards,

DJ

Message 7 of 9
drjohn

Oh, OK  ... if you have xrefs, it will also try and save the current status of the xrefs and THEY may be read only.

DJ

Message 8 of 9
djpclarke

But I am opening the xref also as the main dwg. file to see, but it still comes up as read only. Theres no reason for them to be read only.

As a last resort I will have to re-insert the x-refs but hoping to avoid doing this as it means placing each plan in., if that makes sense.

Message 9 of 9
djpclarke

ok

I have saved them all in a different folder and reloading and the problem has been fixed.

When i want to delte the original folder, It won't allow me and says the dwg. are currently being in use (which they are not as the file path has changed).

But thank you for all your help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost