Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read only error when opening .dwg attachment file from outlook 2010.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
MatthewCBS
2594 Views, 3 Replies

Read only error when opening .dwg attachment file from outlook 2010.

Hi we have a really annoying issue.

I cannot seem to open .dwg files from an email using AutoCAD LT 2010

I get an error saying c:\users\"username"\temp\outlook\j0814-052.dwg is currently in use or is read only.

Would you like to open the file ready-only?

I can save the file then open it. But the user wants to open the attachment straight from the email.

I've tried changing the attributes on the folder from read only but this doesn't work, tried another profile, again this doesn't work.

It does seem to only effect .dwg files when opening with AutoCAD LT 2010.  If someone sends an xls, .doc, .pdf attachment they all open OK, I'm sure this is an AutoCAD LT 2010 issue. I have downloaded and installed both hotfixes / patches from the autodesk website and reinstalled the software but this hasn't worked either.

Any help would be welcome.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Charles_Shade
in reply to: MatthewCBS

AFAIK this is normal behaviour.

Whilst it may be a bit quicker to just open the File without questions you may be stuck.

Message 3 of 4
drjohn

You won't be able to save from an open dwg in an email. To do that you would have to be able to write back to the email which is not possible AFAIK.  When you open a drawing it copies it to a a temp folder and opens that file which is read only also.

Sorry, but you will need to save the file and then re-attach it to the/another email.

HTH

Regards,

DJ

Message 4 of 4
pendean

1. That's not an ERROR message, it's an INFORMATIONAL message. You can continue and open the DWG file. Did you not try to continue? AutoCAD does not distinguish between OPEN BY OTHERS or READ-ONLYsince both are the same locked state for a DWG file. I do it all the time to look at file content.

2. The other file types, DOC, XLS and PDF, do not provide you with this informational message, but they too are read-only and open in your temp folder just like AutoCAD does. Autodesk feels the need to provide you with information about your actions, Microsoft and Adobe chose to keep you in the dark about the reality of it all.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost