Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"...more recent version..."

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
rebustamante
344 Views, 11 Replies

"...more recent version..."

I have AutoCAD LT 2010. I have received .dwg files that were apparently created with a newer version of CAD. i tried downloading "TrueView 2014", however this hasnt helped... suggestions?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Welcome to the Autodesk Forums!

Post the plan here if you are allowed.

Message 3 of 12
pendean
in reply to: rebustamante

Hasn't helped? What does that mean to those of us not in your head please.
Message 4 of 12
hwalker
in reply to: pendean

When you open up Trueview 2014 you will see a couple of icons at the top.

One is the usual open file icon. To the right of that is the DWG Convert icon. Use that to convert your drawing to 2010 format

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 5 of 12

The plan? You mean the dwg files I am trying to convert? i cannot share those with you.
Message 6 of 12
rebustamante
in reply to: pendean

"...to those of us not in your head..."
never mind... I don't need your help.
Message 7 of 12
rebustamante
in reply to: hwalker

Thanks for the pointer. I have our IT guy helping me through loading the component my comp. needs in order to set up TrueView
Message 8 of 12
dgorsman

Dean usually teaches to fish, rather than fishing for us.  In short, he was asking for further details ie. when you mentioned "it didn't help", we have no way of knowing whether you had trouble installing TrueView, if you only opened the DWG with TrueView instead of using the conversion function, the conversion function failed, or something else.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 9 of 12

@rebustamante wrote:
Thanks for the pointer. I have our IT guy helping me through loading the component my comp. needs in order to set up TrueView

So you never actually installed Truview to your computer?

That could be a very good reason why it did not help your need.

That would also have been good information to include in your query for those who are trying to help you remotely.

Message 10 of 12
rebustamante
in reply to: dgorsman

I understood what Dean meant. Perhaps I should have been more specific, I just didn't want to deal with that sort of sarcastic response. My work is stressful & frustrating enough with out those kind of remarks.
My problem was with installing TrueView. I have since figured out the issue and will install again. I was also confused whether or not "TrueView 2014" was the correct option, being that when trying to open the newer version file with LT 2010, the notification window mentioned specifically "TrueConvert" as the solution. At this point, I think I am on the right path, correct?
I will notify this board should there be any other issues after proper installation. Thank you.
Message 11 of 12
dgorsman

There used to be a stand-alone utility called TrueConvert, which was later merged into TrueView.  More recently it was also added to the core AutoCAD products for batch conversion while running AutoCAD.  Like many organizations, web-side and product documentation can lag a bit with AutoDesk products especially for the freebies and low view-count areas.  If you find something that doesn't match up fire off an email to the AutoDesk folks so they are at least aware of it.

TrueView is very handy application to have, not only for conversion but for read-only viewing of drawings (I get our IT to push it out to all of our engineers - they can look, but we don't want them touching) as well as basic cleaning (the conversion process can also do a purge/audit/update page set-ups).  I recommend you or your IT keep an eye on the download page for new releases and grabbing the new release installs and udpates when they come out and distributing it as standard software.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 12 of 12
pendean

If you don't share info, you can't get any help: we are all working stiffs like you with day jobs, so please share info about a problem when you need help. It's the best way to get help and relieve stress.
There was no sarcasm, I was letting you know your post provided no details in a gentle way. Remember, we can't help quickly if we have to ask 20 questions first.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost