Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Group with same objects already exists"

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
lgiles
15024 Views, 12 Replies

"Group with same objects already exists"

I am not able to use the "group" command in AutoCAD LT 2013. Instead, I get the message "group with same objects already exists" when there is no existing group... Is there a setting to change that will fix this?

Thanks in advance!

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
hwalker
in reply to: lgiles

Welcome to the Forums

This is happening due to the fact that PICKSTYLE is set to 0.

What you think are separate items are already in a group

At the command line type in PICKSTYLE. Change the Value to 1

Now pick one of the objects that you are trying to group. You will see a grey rectangle appear around all the objects in the group with a single grip in the middle.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 13
pendean

CTRL+SHIFT+A key combo on your keyboard toggles 'grouping' on and off: turn it 'on' and see if your group already exists as the message is implying.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: hwalker

So why does this happen? I turne my computer off on Friday, turned it back on today Monday, and several basic funtions are not working. I did not make any changes and honestly have never heard of the Pickstyle. How did it get changed to 0? I just checked and my Pickstyle is set to 3. I have never changed or entered this.

Message 5 of 13
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Simply turning off and on a computer doesn't do much: but since this is a registry-saved variable you probably changed it using the key-combo I noted above and never noticed it until today. Whjat other things don't work all of a sudden? Your post is very light on details. for anyone to help.

At the commandline type PICKSTYLE and then enter the new setting you want to use. Usage explained in HELP if you want to learn more: it's been around for as long as 'group' has been in AutoCAD/LT. But mine is set to 3 where it should be, don';t change it to anything else unless you know for sure that's what you want.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

I don't know, that's a pretty awkward key combination, I think I would remember contorting my fingers that way! So then why has universal trim stopped working? That one comes and goes too.

Message 7 of 13
pendean

Universal Trim?
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

Sorry, Trim All. Select Trim, right click for <select all> then select objects to trim. Sometimes it forgets the all part and I have to select an object to trim to. Same thing happens with Extend All, some days it works, some days it doesn't.

Message 9 of 13
pendean

This could simply be your right-click for <enter> not actually activating: if I'm not mistaken you and I have had this exact exchange before and solved it by you testing by using a keyboard to <enter>. You still using Windows/LT2011 on a MAC with lots of mouse issues still present?
Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

Yes, same computer. But since the only program I have issues with is Autocad I have my doubts that it is the mouse. I am an inveterate right clicker in all my programs and none of them have problems.

Message 11 of 13
pendean

The problem is right-clicking inside AutoCAD: as in the previous discussions it's not the best way to proceed if you want flawless operation inside AutoCAD all the time.
Only workaround is if you deliberately and forcefully depress the right-click button: if you are "fast" with it, it fails.
Always depressing <enter> on the keyboard or using the spacebar or the TAB button in most situations always work.

The other programs are not relevant here.

Message 12 of 13
daniyalz

Legend

Message 13 of 13
otorresYVH5B

Thank you! I had this problem too!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost