Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Dummy" window opens in AutoCAD

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
architec-tor
622 Views, 11 Replies

"Dummy" window opens in AutoCAD

Attached is a screen shot of what happens when I open up an existing AutoCad drawing (with no other AutoCAD applications running); I get a "dummy" screen (to the left) and the target drawing (to the right.)

It seems to me the dummy screen is unnecessary and would like to get rid this pet-peeve from my AutoCAd experience.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
pendean
in reply to: architec-tor

How do you open your file?
Message 3 of 12
architec-tor
in reply to: pendean

The dummy autocad screen is back after not appearing for a couple of weeks.

SDI is set to 1.

Message 4 of 12

How did it get corrected the first time?

Message 5 of 12

I don't remembere how it was corrected the first time, but I have made no changes to the sdi variable. The sdi is now set to 1 and the "dummy" window continues to appear when I open up a drawing.

Using the Help menu on this topic does not provide any information except a headline that states "Undocumented Commend or System Variable."

Message 6 of 12
pendean

Has nothing to do with SDI, probably just the way you started the file (my original question in this thread that you never answered).

Message 7 of 12
architec-tor

How do I open a file?

By clicking on the (existing) drawing I wish to open.

Message 8 of 12
architec-tor

I open an existing drawing to start AutoCAD. I am not starting a new drawing from scratch and no other drawings are currently open.

Message 9 of 12
pendean

What does that mean: you are double-clicking a DWG file in Windows Explorer? So Windows Explorer is calling two AutoCAD sessions, or is the dummy window just an empty DWG file in the same AutoCAD session?

What happens if you are in AutoCAD and use OPEN command (which by the way does just about everything Windows Explorer can do).

Message 10 of 12
architec-tor

OK, here it is in the most simple way I can describe as I have said exactly before when describing this issue. Apparently I am not making myslef absolutely perfectly crystal clear.

1) Turn on computer

-On my desktop is an exsiting autocad drawing called mydrawing.dwg.

2) I double click on mydrawing.dwg

-please note that I am not interfacing (nor have I ever said I am interfacing) with Windows Explorer at any point.

3) A "dummy" of AurtoCAD opens up and is blank, as in the screenshot that was originally sent.

4) Mydrawing.dwg opens up.

- Thus leaving the dummy drawing as a separate instance of AutoCAD  that I have to deal with and close.

I would like the event in step (3) to not occur.

Message 11 of 12
pendean

Press F2 button on your keyboard inside both sessions next time it happens right after start up, and see if AutoCAD/LT reports what it did at start up (one should report a missing file or error, or provide a lot of information about starting).

Did you get a new mouse? plug an old one in? Has double-clicking been acting up lately?

Can we assume LT2012 is fully patched and updated?

Message 12 of 12

Autodesk Exchange pulled this up when you had the previous difficulty:

(Funny that someone in another Forum was lamenting that Exchange would do this.)

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-LT/How-do-you-open-multiple-drawings-in-separate-AutoCAD-windo...

STARTUP

TASKBAR

SDI

Place to start?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost