Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with xRefs

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
FirstTimeCADer
402 Views, 8 Replies

Problems with xRefs

Hi,

I'm a first time CAD tech currently running AutoCAD 2013 LT and i'm encountering some problems when it comes to xRefs.

I've unloaded the file in question, and thus the xRef layers have vanished (which is good as that's what I wanted) but for some reason, I'm not able to actually detatch the file. From what I've read in similar topics, a lot of people have suggested that the xRef is nested and I'll need to go back into the original file and detatch it from there, but this is the only file that I'm using this xRef in.

I'm really confused, and I have no idea what to do.

Can someone please help?

Thanks

Claire

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pendean
in reply to: FirstTimeCADer

Is it possibly an XREF inside another XREF? you can't detach those "nested XREFs" that way, you have to do it in the file where it resides in.
Message 3 of 9

Hi,

Thanks for coming back to me.

I've just opened up the original file that I removed, and there is nothing xrefed into that file.

Could it be an issue with inserted blocks even though they aren't xref'd? - Does that make sense?

Message 4 of 9
pendean

No, blocks can't pretend to be XREFs like that: dig a little deeper.
Message 5 of 9
FirstTimeCADer
in reply to: pendean

Like I've said, I've gone into the file that I want to get rid of and there's no xrefs in that drawing 😕 

I dont know how much deeper I can dig to be honest lol

Thank you for your help though.

Message 6 of 9
pendean

Post it, let's all see your DWG file(s)
Message 7 of 9

Ok, So the first attachment is the file currently unloaded but not detatched from the drawing and the second attachment is the file opened in its original location. As you can see, the A1 Frame (2nd Pic) has no xrefs in it.

It's not the end of the world as I can create another drawing linking in the files that I want.

Thanks  🙂

Message 8 of 9
pendean

Are all instances of the top-most xref deleted from the main file?
Is the xref you are detaching simply missing from your system?
Did you PURGE the file? sometime that helps.
How about if you close all files and open them back up again?

If you freeze all except the XREF layers, ensure all the XREF layes are on/thawed/unlocked and you used ERASE command with the ALL typed option, does anything get deleted? Can you detach the XREF then?
Message 9 of 9
bob_mpc

If you have the xref inserted on two layouts, it cannot be detached. Must be deleted first.

Boris
AutoCad LT 2021.1.1

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost