Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem - Rectangular Cursor

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
kfried
2108 Views, 10 Replies

Problem - Rectangular Cursor

My pickbox/crosshairs/cursor (that square in the middle of the crosshairs) turned into a rectangle. The blue grips also turned into rectangles. I can find the setting under Tools/Options where I can change the size of the pickbox, but not the shape of the pickbox. How did I end up with a rectangular pickbox? How do I get my square back?

Thanks.

Katherine
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: kfried

Windows screen resolution controls it, nothing in AutoCAD does.

Is you run a square resolution (1024X768 for example) you get a square
pickbox.

--
Dean Saadallah
Add-on products for LT
http://www.pendean.com/lt
--
Message 3 of 11
kfried

Thanks, Dean.

I don't think it's the Windows screen resolution, though. I havent' changed the screen resolution, and nothing else in the drawing is distorted. My coworkers are also experiencing the same problem. One additional thing that I realized yesterday was that the pickbox and the grips turned rectangular, and then after awhile, the grips went back to square, and then a little while later, the cursor went back to square. Then, when I came in this morning, the cursor was rectangular again, and I'm guessing that througout the day, it may go back to square. Very odd.
Message 4 of 11
stevev0983

I am having that same problem in LT2006, but not in LT2002. My situation is that if I launch LT, everything is fine (meaning "square") until I close all of the drawings but leave AutoCAD open. If I then open another drawing, I get the rectangle. If I completely close AutoCAD and restart it, I am back to the square.
I also found a slightly easier work around. If you can duplicate the problem and solution as I noted above, try this: Launch AutoCAD, open a drawing, and then close that drawing so that AutoCAD is still running, but no drawings are open. Now "restore down" AutoCAD (the middle button in the top right corner of any windows program), then open a drawing and it should be a square. Now restore it back up again and you're good to go until you close your last drawing again.
Maybe it will work for you. It did for me and I find it easier than closing and re-launching the program.
By the way, are you using an AMD or a Pentium processor?
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: stevev0983

Evidently, there's no solution.

I have A2014, no problem with the cursor.

In the same machine I have A2015, the cursor is rectangular, but sometimes it's square.

Very frustating!!.

Evidentemente no hay solución.

Tengo A2014 sin problemas con el cursor.

Sin embargo, en la misma PC tengo A2015 y el cursor es un rectángulo,

aunque a veces es un cuadrado perfecto.

Muy frustante.!!!

Message 6 of 11
pendean

"Same machine" means what to the rest of us?
I'm running 2012-2013-2014-2015 on the same Win7 64bit desktop PC running at 1900x1280 on a single monitor and I see no changes as you describe.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Well... lucky you!!.
IWin 8 Pro with 1600x900 monitor here,
Message 8 of 11
pendean

Is that your monitor's native/default resolution?are you on a laptop? It would appear so? Are you using an external monitor too?
Message 9 of 11
mgoedecke
in reply to: pendean

I am having the same cursor shape-changing as well.  Sometimes square sometime rectangle.  When it is a rectangle it is always taller than wide.  I am running win7 64 bit ACAD LT 2014.  Dell monitor E228WFP with resolution 1680 x 1050.  Just updated from 2008 LT 5 weeks ago.  Never had this issue.  I actually am having several issues with appearance of hatches when zoomed in, with the mouse moving faster than the cursor, with flickering when drafting some objects like a circle once the center point is established.  Just overall things seem "jumpy" and slower.  I checked the computer software and video recommendations and my computer exceeds all those. 

Message 10 of 11
pendean
in reply to: mgoedecke

2014, unlike 2008, taps and works with (or beats up on) your video card: hardware acceleration on or off may help (with 2015, changing line smoothing can help too), turning of Win7's aero-theme, installing an Autodesk certified driver for your video card (if available) can also help).

A lot has changed since the year 2007 when LT2008 was "it".

And sometimes simply connecting your monitor to another port (DVI, HDMI, S-Video and others as available) can help too.

LT2014's flickering issue, if the same as being reported, requires a posted update/ fix from Autodesk. Search for it and install it.
Message 11 of 11
krishraj66

You have to pin the Properties bar on the right side to have a square cursor,.. If your "propoerties" bar on the right side is in "auto collapse" mode,.. your cursor will be in rectangular shape,.. if you "pin" your propoerties bar on the right, it will become square.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost