Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plot to PDF - not saving the full File Name!

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
JeffoCad
6198 Views, 20 Replies

Plot to PDF - not saving the full File Name!

Hi All - When i Plot to Adobe PDF from AutoCad its not saving the full File Name - can anyone help?

Thanks!

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
pendean
in reply to: JeffoCad

What PDF driver are you using inside AutoCAD exactly?

Do you use a period as part of the file name: Like PLAN.FLOOR.ONE.pdf for example?

Message 3 of 21
JeffoCad
in reply to: pendean

Hi - Im not sure what driver - im plotting to Adobe Acrobat Professional - the file naming convention is;

D01-LayoutPlan-1to100-Rev0 but the PDF is only saving as D01-L

Our IT dept is baffled as if i save the file to the desktop it works fine. All other programs there is no issue - Just AutoCad.

Message 4 of 21
pendean

>>>...as if i save the file to the desktop it works fine...<<<

That's an interesting problem.

You will need to contact Adobe for support with their software if that is what you want to use: try the same test but use AutoCAD's built-in PDF driver, DWG to PDF.PC3 is the name of it. Then also test with the DWF printer to see if it does it too.

At least then you can better isolate the problem.

Message 5 of 21
MickCloey2583

We had experienced the same problem in our office, and have just found a solution that works for us.

After trying a few things, we narrowed the problem down to the entire filename and path (eg C:\Users\JohnSmith\Documents\My Cad File.dwg) being too long. There seems to be a set limit on the length of the print job name which is sent to the printer.

Try copying the folder containing the files to be plotted to a location with a shorter path and re-plotting the files.

Hope this works for you.

Message 6 of 21
Charles_Shade

Just curious: Is this the actual name of the file in the Windows folder that the PDF is being saved in or is this information that is being printed on the file by Plot Stamp?

And what part of the text above is your Drawing File name and what portion is the Layout name?

Typical DWG to PDF Plot will be the drawing name and then the Tab name

Example here: 12-005A A-3.pdf       12-005A is the Drawing file   A-3 is the Layout name

Saving the file to the Desktop is not the same convention as Plotting to PDF.

Message 7 of 21
alamosa

My layout tab is also being truncated. The drawing file is af_00.dwg. The layout tab is 3.02A. The final file name is af_00 3.pdf. This is a real pain, I really need the layout tab name, and I have never had this problem before. Any suggestions?

Message 8 of 21
alamosa

See previous post - I also just tried to import a layout from a file that is not having this problem. The imported layout still truncated the pdf file name, so it must be a setting in the file.

Message 9 of 21
pendean
in reply to: alamosa

What PDF driver are you using? LT version? Your post is light on details (whether you posted elsewhere or here previously).

Adobe Acrobat PDF drivers (and some others) don't like too many periods in a name and stop after they hit the first one: seems to be your exact issue.

Message 10 of 21
alamosa

I am using Autocad Architect 2008. I don't have any periods in the name. The file name has only the period just before the extension "af_00.dwg".

Message 11 of 21
alamosa

Also the plotter name is "Adobe PDF." Thanks for considering.

Message 12 of 21
pendean

What PDF driver are you using?

Message 13 of 21
alamosa

My version of acrobat is Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro, so I imagine that is the source for the driver for "Adobe PDF" printer? Does that identify the driver? Thanks again.

Message 14 of 21
pendean

Use the PDF driver supplied by Autodesk in ACA2008 that you are using: it's called DWG to PDF.PC3 file. See if it replicates the issue (I doubt it will).

If you deleted it, put it back with PLOTTERMANAGER command.

If you want to continue using the Acrobat Driver you will have to seek support from Adobe on how to work around the issue.

Message 15 of 21
alamosa

will do, thanks for the support. Oddly the same driver does not have this problem in other files.

Message 16 of 21
pendean

What's unique about the naming format in this file?

Message 17 of 21
alamosa

the other files are my sheet files so the naming is "A3-01.dwg" so no extra periods there either. This is my base file, I am creating a bunch of layouts from one view and this file is "af_00.dwg"

Message 18 of 21
alamosa

the autocad driver does include the tab layout title thank you, but it cuts off some of title block, can I set margins? I tried both the A4 size and the expanded. thanks again

Message 19 of 21
milestopping

I have a similar problem. file.number.dwg would truncate to file.pdf I am using DWG to PDF.pc3 pdfplot10.hdi, version, 1.1-10.1.115.0 Acad civil 3d 2011.
Message 20 of 21
pendean
in reply to: milestopping

Some PDF drivers do not allow for multiple "dots" in a file name. If you need that ability, pick up a 3rd party PDF driver (many good ones are free).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost