AutoCAD LT General Discussion

AutoCAD LT General Discussion

kengelle
Message 11 of 18 (1,336 Views)

Re: Performance Issues in AcadLT 2011 64bit on high spec workstation

01-06-2011 03:43 PM in reply to: msemp

I have been struggling with this for days now and finally, FINALLY found a solution.  After trying all of the tips I've found in this forum and others I hit upon the one setting that mattered.  I changed my default color depth (Windows display settings) from 32-bit to 16-bit and I now get the smooth cursor movement I enjoyed on my older system.

I am running AutoCAD LT 2010 on a notebook PC with Core i5, 560M, 4GB RAM, ATI FirePro M5800 1GB, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.  This was especially frustrating to solve as I just purchased this notebook  and have had it only since 1-3-2011 and was anticipating improvements in all areas over my previous, 4-year old notebook.  So I was crushed to see the cursor lag problems on the new system.  I fiddled with Dynamic Input, and on and on - disabled Aero glass, etc.  Nothing worked.  Looked at video drivers, mouse drivers, AutoCAD LT patches, yada yada.  Finally I was playing around with the Control Panel>Appearance and Personalization>Display>Screen Resolution settings and saw "Advanced Settings" and then "List All Modes" and the highest mode (the one I was using by default after setting the notebook up) was "1600 by 900, True Color (32 bit), 60 Hertz".  The next lowest setting was "1600 by 900, High Color (16 bit), 60 Hertz" which I chose, applied, and then tested in AutoCAD and !!!YES!!!.  It worked.  I have noticed that the 16 bit setting has changed the appearance of the Aero glass effects and, at this point, I really don't care.  As long as I know what gets the cursor right I can deal with it.

A good test of the cursor lag is to simply use the MEASUREGEOM command and run the cursor around while click-dragging.  It should be smooth as butter with no hesitations.  If it jerks, even momentarily, as if it is trying to snap to something then you can probably benefit from dumbing down your display's color depth.

I hope this helps some of you.  I was getting very depressed and now I am happy again.  Tomorrow I may get a little upset with Autodesk for not being better tuned in to this simple fix.  I haven't seen this tip anywhere in the posts I've read and it seems that they should be doing a better job at helpling users through some basic troubleshooting without all of the nutty "roll back your video driver" suggestions and the like.  I mean, we payed so serious money for the program, didn't we?

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 12 of 18 (1,321 Views)

01-07-2011 06:18 AM in reply to: kengelle

Thank you so much for the follow up, it will help others examine and try yet another option in Win7.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
nippur05
Message 13 of 18 (1,155 Views)

01-27-2011 01:51 PM in reply to: kengelle

I have the same issue and I discovered in the first minute that disabling AERO works better not perfect but better, but That's NOT the solution to decrease in any way the performance of an expensive PC and win7 just to make a BRAN NEW software to work, specially when using the OLD AUTOCAD 2010-2009 - 2008 ( no LT) worked perfectly.

So please some GURU form AUTODESK tell US, WHY in the ·$%&?"··$$%¿¿!! , can't  you enable 2D HARDWARE ACCELERATION on AUTOCAD LT 2011 or give me my money back.

MendelsonGroup
Message 14 of 18 (1,132 Views)

01-28-2011 09:50 AM in reply to: msemp

I am also having this problem although I only seem to be having it when I am drawing lines, all other operations are seemingly working well but since lines are the very basic fucntion of this program it is really unacceptable. 

I just upgraded to a Xenonn 2.76ghz  64bit win 7 machine with 6gb ddr3 ram and a Quardo FX580 from a Core2 1.8ghz win xp with 2gb ddr2 ram and quadro NVS 285.  My old machine ran 2008-2011 wonderfully, it may have taken longer to start up but once in CAD it worked great so having lag in this great new computer is so so dissapointing!

I ran the 1.1 update hoping it would fix things but no go.  The only thing that seemed to work was changing the bit depth to 16bit but that really is not a proper solution, my machine should be able to handle both.

Please Autodesk, fix this MAJOR issue.  Not being able to reliably draw a line is totally unacceptable.

lsmiros
Message 15 of 18 (767 Views)

03-24-2011 01:19 PM in reply to: kengelle

Try turning off Selection Cycling. This fixed my issue immediately.

*Expert Elite*
drjohn
Message 16 of 18 (759 Views)

03-24-2011 02:47 PM in reply to: kengelle

I solved my laggy cursor issue by changing winboze 7  to Classic mode.

No more laggy cursor, however, the hardware interrupts continue and  I suspect it is my graphics card for sure cause it is the stupid Intel on-board graphics (HD Graphics as they call it). It grabs about 20% of the processor and remains there until a reboot.

FWIW

Regards,

DJ

JimEvans6808
Message 17 of 18 (749 Views)

03-25-2011 11:35 AM in reply to: msemp

Anyone able to install the 1.1 update for 2011 LT? I've got 3 dif spec machines and everytime I try and install the patch (either 32 or 64bit)I get a message saying 'it can't find a copy of Autodesk on my machine"!

On one machine I've actually got 2011, 2010 and 2009 (call me lazy for not removing but...)

Having the same issues of lag an multiple crashes/hangs with 3 differently high specced machines Quadro FX580 (like other posters in one machine) and after reading the Read Me was hopeful that the 1.1 patch would resolve many issues.. if only I could install

In desperation I tried the Hotfix too on one machine but it says only if your AClayer.dll reports a 115 version and then seems to contradict saying you cannot install it if it IS version 115!! Anyhow mine are 59?

Help anyone?

tarapetter
Message 18 of 18 (403 Views)

11-23-2011 02:11 PM in reply to: kengelle

I had a jerky cursor in AutoCAD LT 2008, running on Parallels, and this worked for me!  I changed the monitor settings to 16 bit from 32 bit and it seems to have resolved the problem. 

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.