Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paper space dimension changes scale (2014LT)

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
pmarx
1353 Views, 7 Replies

Paper space dimension changes scale (2014LT)

I searched but didn't find this topic in the long list of paper space dimensioning topics.

In some instances, it becomes necessary (or at least preferable) to dimension in PS rather than MS. Please just take my word for it.

A specific dimension style for use in PS was created.

Primary Units: 1.00

Fit: Scale dimensions to layout

This style uses the architectural ticks for both left and right although the office practice is to use a dot when dimensioning to a structural grid line. In the past, I would just run the dimension string and then go back and change the properties of whatever dimension was affected. Just within the past few days, however, the problem has arisen that when I do this with only some dimensions, i.e. change the arrowhead type, the scale of the dimension changes. For example, 7" becomes 28'-0". The 7" has been increased by 48. Since the scale of the viewport is 1/4"=1'-0" I have to think there is a correlation but I don't know what it could be. If I find another dimension with the same dot/architectural tick configuration and use match properties, the dimension reverts back to 7". And it's not as if this happens every time I change an arrowhead.

Is there some system variable that needs to change or do I suddenly have gremlins?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: pmarx

THat's not really a good method to dimension, is it: any reason why you can't take 10-20 minutes out of a day and set up proper dimstyles for paperspace dimensioning? Just curious, I assume you get paid by the hour or the job, or did you achieve nirvana (salaried) and time means nothing LOL

Are you using annotative text and dimension styles?
Are your dimensions actually object-snapped to the objects they are dimensioning? And are those obejcts in a viewport set to a scale you want?
DIMSCALE variable set to something not to your liking?
DIMRND set to something other than 1?
DIMSTYLE command's other parameters off when you compare this one file to another file?
Message 3 of 8
pmarx
in reply to: pendean

THat's not really a good method to dimension, is it: any reason why you can't take 10-20 minutes out of a day and set up proper dimstyles for paperspace dimensioning? Just curious, I assume you get paid by the hour or the job, or did you achieve nirvana (salaried) and time means nothing LOL

Are you using annotative text and dimension styles?
Are your dimensions actually object-snapped to the objects they are dimensioning? And are those obejcts in a viewport set to a scale you want?
DIMSCALE variable set to something not to your liking?
DIMRND set to something other than 1?
DIMSTYLE command's other parameters off when you compare this one file to another file?

Gee. Thanks so much for your condescending reply. When you assume about something such as how I am paid you make an a-s-s out of u and...well, just

you in this case. I'm sorry I wasn't clear that I'm only following established office policy and using the dimension style created some time ago and used without incident until yesterday. Nothing was changed that I know of.

Message 4 of 8
pendean

Are you going to answer the other questions too?

Start two sessions of AutoCAD/LT, open a file where everything works just fine in one, open the problem file in the second.
In each, start DIMSTYLE, select the active dimstyle, ensure these are one and the same, now go through each setting tab and make sure all things are set the same.

If you can't figure it out, post one 'good' DWG file and the 'bad' DWG file and someone can comapre them for you and let you know where they differ.

PS: if all you got out of the cirtique of your method is you pay scale maybe I can walk you through all the ideas I have to fix it all once and for all sometime when you are ready.
Message 5 of 8
cadman70454

I dimension in paperspace sometimes, when the need arises.  I don't like to because I feel that the dims are separated from the model and you can't see if something has blown up until you go back to paperspace and look for a problem.  When dimensioning in PS I use my standard dimstyle that I use for full scale details in model space.  Try using scale of 1 rather than fit scale to layout.  Also dimreassociate bad dims and make sure to pick the end of a line away from the intersection so you're not snapping to the node point of another dimension.  I also put the PS dims on a different layer with a different color text so they stand out as dims in PS.  Check that dimscale and dimlfac are set to 1.

At one time AutoCad promoted transpatial dimensioning.  I guess that fell by the wayside.  However, sometimes is can save time if it is used.  It depends on how you use the tools at hand to complete a task that determine if they are more or less productive for you.  I probably use partial paperspace dimensioning on 1 of every 1000 or 2000 dwgs, maybe less.  However, it's there if I have a need for it.

I wish PS dimesions would allow dimensioning across 2 viewports, I'd use it more.

Message 6 of 8
cadman70454
in reply to: pendean

Dean, I agree with pmarx. While your advice might be good and helpful, your condescending comments are off putting. You might consider being less abrasive. Of course that is up to you.
Message 7 of 8
pmarx
in reply to: cadman70454

Thank you Cadman. I appreciate it. As I tried to say, dimensioning in PS isn't my first choice but sometimes it does serve a purpose. I even appreciate Dean's second reply. I can't help wonder that if he stuck more to the point all the time, his work load would be a little lighter.

Message 8 of 8
cadman70454
in reply to: cadman70454

Dean, one of the problems with communicating with each other over this medium is there is no voice inflection, facial expressions, etc., so that someone's funny comment can come across as snide or condescending. If that's the case here I apologize for taking your comments as such. If you mean to be snide or condescending, well ok.

Still, I look forward to learning stuff that you and others provide here.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost