AutoCAD LT General Discussion

Contributor
tiggle
Message 1 of 8 (119 Views)

osnap to objects within blocks

119 Views, 7 Replies
05-24-2000 11:21 AM
hi all. when i try to osnap to objects within blocks, i can only snap to certain objects and not all of them. is this typical or is there something i'm missing? this is making life difficult when i am trying to put blocks together to make assemblies and i can't use definitive snap points. any help is appreciated. thanks :smileyhappy:
*Support, Autodesk
Message 2 of 8 (119 Views)

Re: osnap to objects within blocks

05-26-2000 09:33 AM in reply to: tiggle
Tiggle, check your osnap settings (Shift+right mouse click then "Osnap Settings") and check the object snap modes you want. You may still have to toggle through several close-together objects with the Tab key to select the objet you want.

--
Bob Felton
PSG Product Support, Americas
WW Support & Services, Autodesk
Discussion Q&A: http://www.autodesk.com/discussion

tiggle wrote:

> hi all. when i try to osnap to objects within blocks, i can only snap to certain objects and not all of them. is this typical or is there something i'm missing? this is making life difficult when i am trying to put blocks together to make assemblies and i can't use definitive snap points. any help is appreciated. thanks :smileyhappy:
Contributor
tiggle
Message 3 of 8 (119 Views)

Re:

05-26-2000 01:23 PM in reply to: tiggle
no dice, boss. when i try to Tab to different objects within the block, it only picks up 5 of the 24 objects that make up the block. some of these objects are "inches" apart. other blocks work ok, other blocks do the same thing. this is making it challenging to put blocks together as assemblies. is there anything else i can try? thanks. :smileysad:
*Support, Autodesk
Message 4 of 8 (119 Views)

Re:

05-26-2000 03:13 PM in reply to: tiggle
Could it be that there are sub-blocks within the block that has 24 objects? Another reason could be corruption in the drawing's database. Try WBLOCKing the problem blocks to a new drawing and then DDINSERT them one at a time to rebuild the orginal drawing. (Alternatively, you can use copy and paste as a faster method than wblock/ddinsert).

Bob

tiggle wrote:

> no dice, boss. when i try to Tab to different objects within the block, it only picks up 5 of the 24 objects that make up the block. some of these objects are "inches" apart. other blocks work ok, other blocks do the same thing. this is making it challenging to put blocks together as assemblies. is there anything else i can try? thanks. :smileysad:
*Rudolph, Dietmar
Message 5 of 8 (119 Views)

Re:

05-29-2000 01:25 AM in reply to: tiggle
>>no dice, boss. when i try to Tab to different objects within the block, it only picks up 5 of the 24 objects that make up the block. some of these objects are "inches" apart. other blocks work ok, other blocks do the same thing. this is making it challenging to put blocks together as assemblies. is there anything else i can try? thanks. :smileysad:<<

What objects are these blocks made of. Are they proxy objects, maybe?
Try inserting the block one more time, exploding it and listing it
contents.

Dietmar Rudolph

President, CR/LF GmbH, http://www.crlf.de
Vice-President Europe, CADLock, Inc. http://www.cadlock.com
Webmaster, AutoCAD Developers Group Europe, http://www.adge.org
Member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program

Author, "Mastering AutoCAD 2000 Objects", http://www.crlf.de/Verlag/PublishingServices.html
Contributor
tiggle
Message 6 of 8 (119 Views)

Re:

05-30-2000 05:01 AM in reply to: tiggle
still not working correctly. what i've done is wblock the block to a file. opened that file, exploded the block. recreated the geometry from scratch over top of the old geometry. deleted the old geometry. recreated the block to overwrite the old one. now i get 9 out of 24 objects that are snapable. none of the objects are proxy. can i send this file to autodesk support for their suggestions? thanks :smileyhappy:
*Support, Autodesk
Message 7 of 8 (119 Views)

Re:

05-30-2000 07:37 AM in reply to: tiggle
Yes, please call AutoCAD LT 2000 support at 1-425-485-3757 (between 7 AM to 5 PM Pacific Time, Mon - Fri) to arrange to have your drawing emailed for further examination.

--
Bob Felton
PSG Product Support, Americas
WW Support & Services, Autodesk
Discussion Q&A: http://www.autodesk.com/discussion

tiggle wrote:

> still not working correctly. what i've done is wblock the block to a file. opened that file, exploded the block. recreated the geometry from scratch over top of the old geometry. deleted the old geometry. recreated the block to overwrite the old one. now i get 9 out of 24 objects that are snapable. none of the objects are proxy. can i send this file to autodesk support for their suggestions? thanks :smileyhappy:
Contributor
tiggle
Message 8 of 8 (119 Views)

Re: osnap to objects within blocks

06-02-2000 04:56 AM in reply to: tiggle
for anyone interested, when i talked to support, the conclusion was that the program was only about 99% loaded. it was originally installed across our network, but this time it was loaded from the cd-rom at the workstation while not logged onto our network. this is an NT4.0 box with SP5, P3 600 Mhz, 8 meg pci video, 128 meg ram. this has seemed to solve the osnap problems as well as text height problems (unable to change text height in any way) . . . at least for now. we are guessing that there was a minor conflict during installation. i hope this info can be helpful to others. my thanks to autocad support. :smileyhappy:
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.