AutoCAD LT General Discussion

AutoCAD LT General Discussion

karenhamilton
Message 1 of 24 (2,802 Views)
Accepted Solution

Opinions of Model Space vs. Paper Space.

2802 Views, 23 Replies
10-25-2011 03:10 PM

I've been using AutoCAD since 97 and am currently running AutoCAD LT 2010.  I've never used Paper Space because it just seemed easier to manage things with Layer Manager.  At this point, I'm figuring out how to do it (slowly but surely).  My question is this: do most of you use it and what are the advantages?  I haven't figured out yet why it is better than what I've been doing.  Thanks for any  responses.  And if someone knows of a great tute, please let me know.  Took me a long time to find out about double-clicking a viewport perimeter or just double clicking within the space of it.  Maybe I'm getting too old.  LOL.

--Karen

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 2 of 24 (2,797 Views)

Re: Opinions of Model Space vs. Paper Space.

10-25-2011 04:38 PM in reply to: karenhamilton

Modelspace for Drawing

Paperspace for Printing

Why do it any other way?

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
Valued Contributor
Irish2
Message 3 of 24 (2,793 Views)

10-25-2011 07:50 PM in reply to: Charles_Shade

Why do it that way Charles? I too have never felt the need to use paper space, instead using layers for what I needed. Ditto for architect offices I've worked for. So, besides just a quick little statement it would be nice to hear opinions and examples!

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 4 of 24 (2,784 Views)

10-26-2011 05:32 AM in reply to: Irish2

Create your WYSIWYG views of paper in a Layout.

Change Scales and Views of a Modelspace drawing.

Put multiple areas of Modelspace in different Viewports at different scales in the same Paperspace layout.

Create the Layout once and then just right click the tab and print.

Why create a Window view of the Modelspace entities every time you want to plot something?

Why need a Title Block set to every page you wish to print? Maybe an XREF to do so? Or it is already there in Layout.

Fields and Viewports for common info. Use the Drawing Properties dialog to get this information into your drawing one time. Set it and Forget it to borrow a tag line.

BTW - Layers and Paperspace are two different animals. Layers for different entities and Paperspace to show those entities. Why create (copy) two, three, or four floor plans? Put all your information in one place in Modelspace and then turn off or on the layers you need in Paperspace. Have that Floor Plan, Electric Plan, Structural Plan, Braced Wall plan whatever done for you without Layer filters or hunting and picking what to turn on and off each time.

Same plan area, four scales, different Layers shown, priceless...

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 5 of 24 (2,778 Views)

10-26-2011 07:01 AM in reply to: karenhamilton

If you don't need to.....

1. show different scales of your drawing on a single sheet
  2. show multiple views of your drawing with different layers on/off/frozen and/or different colors for layers on a single sheet.
  3. have different multiple titleblocks for different portions of your drawings (for example, the full sized sheet for the overall, plus smaller sheets for changes or addenda, and different titleblocks for presentations or contractor or state/local authority submittals etc.).
  4. change titleblocks because you never have to plot a site plan, then a closer building plan, then a closer detail plan because you never ever need to put or have all the information in a single DWG file.

... then you don't really have a use for paperspace.

Don't force your opinions or limitations on others, there is no right way or wrong way, both methods are there because we don't all work the same way. Just make sure FEAR OF THE UNKNOWN is the only reason you are not exploring the other option if you truly need it.

"... I've only ever done it this way since..." is the no reason to only do one thing one way anywhere or with anything too.

Happy cadding.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
karenhamilton
Message 6 of 24 (2,768 Views)

10-26-2011 08:03 AM in reply to: pendean

Your answer was exactly what I was looking for.  Since I do primarily residential design, the majority of my printing is at 1/4" = 1'-0'.   Every page in a set of blueprints is specifically for a single function, i.e. electrical, framing, foundation.  Now I have a much clearer understanding of why there might be a need for paper space.  Thanks so much.

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 7 of 24 (2,763 Views)

10-26-2011 09:01 AM in reply to: karenhamilton

Let us know if you need a primer on Freezing Layers in Viewports.

How to use Fields and Annotation for Text and MLeaders.

Dynamic Blocks for those plans etc...

*Expert Elite*
Bob_Zurunkle
Message 8 of 24 (2,754 Views)

10-26-2011 09:55 AM in reply to: Charles_Shade

...takes me back to when I really was Modman. We only used modelspace in modulars, and thought paperspace was like a Turkish prison. But for different sheet sizes we had to change the plotting parameters. For arranging views of differing scales on one sheet, something had to be turned into a block (and updates meant redefining that block). To show two views of differing layer setups required 2 copies of the model.

Once I started playing around with how to show (and plot) the 3 standard Orthographic views plus one Isometric view of a model at the same time, I went through that same laborious learning process, including going back and forth through the Help files. But once I discovered what paperspace can do (plus the fact it's like having a best friend right next door), I jumped in with both feet! OP, imagine setting up one layout tab (paperspace) for the overall floor plan (using frozen layers), setting up the plot parameters on it, and then copying it (creating more tabs) for your RCP, Mechanical etc. MEP drawings often use the architectural as a grayed-out background. Since 2008 AutoCAD has allowed you to change colors and even linetypes on a per-layer, per-viewport basis, without adversely affecting the model's original colors/linetypes. You can even create objects, dimensions, text etc that is "annotative" -- that is, you create it once and then use it on the fly in differently scaled viewports, and it'll automatically adjust to the size you wish it to look in paperspace.

If you do start down this path, a couple of friendly tips -- set a viewport's scale and then lock it; know the difference between setting layer properties globally and setting them on a per-viewport basis; and if you get into annotative objects, learn about setting CANNOSCALE in modelspace (it'll save you tons of headaches figuring out how to get your linetype scales all correct everywhere). Welcome to The Dark side, and good luck! :smileyhappy:

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted :smileyhappy:
kevinschot
Message 9 of 24 (2,644 Views)

02-01-2012 06:06 AM in reply to: Charles_Shade

I agree. Why else would Autodesk include a paper space in the program... Which is why I have an issue with the following:

There are a few people in my office that like to create an entirely seperate file just for layout tabs. Meaning, for every project there is at least one file for the design in model space and one drawing for the layout space with the model space drawing referenced in.

This concept is crazy to me. And i can't find any information to support their position. All of the blogs and support that I find say nothing about doing this. I understand that some clients require this, which is fine. But why do it otherwise?

They claim that it reduces the drawing size, so that CAD doesn't run as slow. I told them that sounds like a hardware issue, not a CAD issue.

Do you know of any advantage to doing this? I can think of a thousand reasons of why not to do this...

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 10 of 24 (2,641 Views)

02-01-2012 06:51 AM in reply to: kevinschot

Paperspace tabs does not slow down AutoCAD, but lots of Xrefs can on low end hardware: that's the correct information. File size is irrelevant too. No need to find 'documentatiom', a quick field test proves it.

With the absence of a Sheet Set Manager in LT until LT2012, it may be their way of managing plot files without affecting whomeever is working in a DWG at the tile. Working with them to figure it out is the better approach. If they have LT2012, jump into SSM quickly, if not, have them get into PUBLISH and saved Sheets as a minimum for managing plots and output.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.