Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Files and Saveas Hangs Up

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
940 Views, 15 Replies

Open Files and Saveas Hangs Up

I am trying to use AutoCAD LT 2011 on a machine with Windows 7.  When I try to open a file or try to do a saveas AutoCAD just hangs.  I do not get the file dialog box to appear.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled with no improvement.  Does anyone have any any other ideas?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

If you have any HP printers or drivers on your computer delete them, I have the same problem with 2010 and now it works fine.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous

That is a nonsense response. I, as well as the majority of autocad users, have HP drivers installed on Win7-64 with no problems. Just because you solved a problem in a certain way does not mean you have solved the real problem. Just as taking pain killers makes arthritis pain go away doesn't mean the pain killers cure the arthritis.

In this case the issue is probably network related with paths that are no longer available but are still on the recently used list.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous

Not sure that is a great option since the HP printers/plotters are all we use in my office.  Are there any other options?

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous

you say the dialog box doesn't come up. Check your filedia setting. It may be using the command line to prompt for filename, and you might not see it if command line is not visible.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous

I am using Windows 7 - 32 bit version.  I have gone over all of my file paths and they look like they are all pointed to my machine and not to a network location.  My Filedia is set to 1 so it should default to the dialog box.  However, it just hangs when trying to open or do a saveas and the dialog box does not appear.

Message 7 of 16
Charles_Shade

Did this just start?

Did you change screen resolution?

Go from two to one monitor?

Cleaned out Temp files or History in a while?

How much RAM you got?

Looked at graphics card acceleration? Try turning down

Usually a restore of Windows will undue any updates of REG cleaners that may have mucked you up but with the uninstall/reinstall that option is off the table.

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Charles_Shade

I am on a new machine and just started to use this version.  I have 3gb of usable RAM.  It is just strange that I can not open the file dialog box.  Eveything else appears to work.

Message 9 of 16
pendean

Is LT program window fully maximized? Or is your Open pop-up behind another window?

Did you type FILEDIA at the command line and enter 1 (that's a ONE) for a new setting, they try OPEN command again?

If yes, it sounds like your OPEN dialog box is off-screen: it would behave as though the program is stuck.

What other pop-up dialog boxes are you not able to get? If that is the problem, start OPEN, then Alt+Space, then M, then Arrow keys until something appears (I have no idea if it is off to the left or right, up or down).

Message 10 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

I have the filedia set to 1.  All I am getting when I enter a command that would require the standard file dialog box is the windows cursor just spins and the program goes Not Responding and sits there.  I have uninstalled the program and reinstalled it.  I have changed background types to a basic set up.  Nothing is working.

Message 11 of 16
pendean

And the second half of my last reply?

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Crashed the program and I had to close.  I don't think it get far enought to actually have a dialog box appear.

Message 13 of 16
pendean

Autodesk recommended uninstall and reinstall procedures (if this is not what you did earlier):
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=10243968&linkID=9240617

Installation Help
http://www.autodesk.com/install

Up & Ready Installation and Startup Help (free if this is a new seat of LT2011):
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=9415420&linkID=9240617

Safety Net Autodesk support (not free):
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=7031104&linkID=9240617

If you are on subscription, visit your Autodesk Subscription Page for direct Autodesk Help.

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous

Hello, I purchased lt 2011 and recently installed Norton 360 version 5.0 I am pretty sure the problems started right after the installation of Norton and I've seen this problem with open/saveas problems talked about before but relating to lt 2010 and Norton 3.0. I have the exact situation you had written about with the open and saveas and was wondering if you ever came across a solution? Thank you to anyone with a solution or fix.

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous

I found the answer that worked for me from Norton, at least for now...

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20101117124343EN&ln=en_US

Message 16 of 16
Charles_Shade

Remove the Norton and get your money back. Did that four years ago and have not missed it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost