AutoCAD LT General Discussion

caeda102
Message 1 of 9 (1,094 Views)
Accepted Solution

Numbering sequentially

1094 Views, 8 Replies
10-03-2012 02:33 AM

Hello,

I've read a few posts which I thought would cover this but haven't been able to make anything work. Basically I have a piling layout with 350 piles on it which have to be numbered. I have done this by block and attribute and can edit the number to each one individually. However, If one pile gets added I have to renumber the subsequent ones to have a logical sequence for the builder. Not too much of a problem if is near the end of the numbers, but a real pain if it is near the top. The piles are not on  a regular grid either so I can't just select and move the numbers en bloc. Is there any way to speed this up in Acad LT 2013? It would save me hours of editing time.

Thanks.

That level of automation is not available in LT however you can Autonumber manually with these Macro's if you are so inclined. Though you may need to make adjustments to the first Macro if you have no need for a Text in the piles nomenclature.

-To provide a numbering scheme as in Rooms.  Text height must be zero:
-Put this on one button:
^C^C_setenv;StartWithNumber;\_setenv;TextInFront;\
-Put this on a second button: (I added the Textstyle set portion  S;Standard:smileywink:
*^C^C_text;S;Standard;\;;$M=$(getenv,textinfront)" "$(getenv,startwithnumber);setenv;startwithnumber;$(+,1,$(getenv,startwithnumber));^M;

(The smiley wink should be a semi-colon and a parenthesis.)

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Pick the first Macro and type the number to start with (Value) hit enter and type some Text (Value) hit enter to close the first Macro.

Pick the scond Macro and just start clicking. This should give you the Text followed by the Number.

Like I said you may not need the text but we need to get you to understand how the Macros work.

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 2 of 9 (1,081 Views)

Re: Numbering sequentially

10-03-2012 04:44 AM in reply to: caeda102

That level of automation is not available in LT however you can Autonumber manually with these Macro's if you are so inclined. Though you may need to make adjustments to the first Macro if you have no need for a Text in the piles nomenclature.

-To provide a numbering scheme as in Rooms.  Text height must be zero:
-Put this on one button:
^C^C_setenv;StartWithNumber;\_setenv;TextInFront;\
-Put this on a second button: (I added the Textstyle set portion  S;Standard:smileywink:
*^C^C_text;S;Standard;\;;$M=$(getenv,textinfront)" "$(getenv,startwithnumber);setenv;startwithnumber;$(+,1,$(getenv,startwithnumber));^M;

(The smiley wink should be a semi-colon and a parenthesis.)

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
caeda102
Message 3 of 9 (1,072 Views)

10-03-2012 05:24 AM in reply to: Charles_Shade

Hello Charles,

Thanks very much for this. I have done the two button arrangement using cut and paste but I must be quite thick as I can't get it to work. What I would like to do is select the blocks and have numbers put in each one preferably without having to edit each one. If this is what the macro does how do I make it work? I'm not used to working with macros so need basic instructions.

Thanks anyway.

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 4 of 9 (1,068 Views)

10-03-2012 05:40 AM in reply to: caeda102

Pick the first Macro and type the number to start with (Value) hit enter and type some Text (Value) hit enter to close the first Macro.

Pick the scond Macro and just start clicking. This should give you the Text followed by the Number.

Like I said you may not need the text but we need to get you to understand how the Macros work.

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 5 of 9 (1,063 Views)

10-03-2012 06:12 AM in reply to: caeda102
You will need to select each and every one to renumber: as noted above, your wish for automation at that level is not available in LT.
Consider the much more pricey full AutoCAD for that advanced programming wish.
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Distinguished Mentor
steven-g
Message 6 of 9 (1,045 Views)

10-03-2012 12:31 PM in reply to: caeda102

Do you also use excel in your work. If so you can better spend that couple of hours going out for lunch (3 course), come back to work and still have time for an afternoon nap.

To show how it could be done create a block called "TEST" with one attribute with the tag AUTONUM. Insert the block 4 times and give them the values 1,2,3 & 4 now insert a 5th block and give it a value of 2.1

Copy the following text into notepad and save it as "Update.scr" (just copy the text between the dotted lines)

-----------

-attedit
n
n
TEST
AUTONUM
-attedit
n
n
TEST
AUTONUM
-attedit
n
n
TEST
AUTONUM

--------------

Now just drag and drop the Update.scr file onto your autocad drawing, and the blocks will be renumbered from 1 thru 5.

PS the sequence has to run high to low or you will end up with 1,2,5,5,5

Anyway back to how it should work Isert any new piles that you need and number them so that the new piles fall in where you want them using decimals. Extract the number values from your drawing and reverse sort them. Use the format above and make a scr file, even doing it by hand in notepad copy and pasting shouldn't take more than 10 min for 350 piles (with excel and a bit of programming less than a minute). And if you need to remove piles then same thing but numbers run low to high. You will no doubt need to do a bit of work to get it to work with your attributes, but it is doable. If you want then post a sample of your blocks and I can probably give you a better idea.

Regards Steven Gray
Setting Out (Joinery Manufacturing)
Autocad 2013LT
Windows 7 professional
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 7 of 9 (1,038 Views)

10-03-2012 12:54 PM in reply to: steven-g

Nice tip.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
caeda102
Message 8 of 9 (1,020 Views)

10-04-2012 06:21 AM in reply to: steven-g

Thanks for this. I will have to work it through when I have some time as it sounds as if it could be useful to me. As usual a deadline looms so I have managed to get the macro to work. Many thanks.

caeda102
Message 9 of 9 (1,019 Views)

10-04-2012 06:22 AM in reply to: Charles_Shade

Many thanks Charles. I have managed to get the Macro to do what I want and learned quite a bit about Macros too! It will save me lots of time.

Much appreciated.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!