Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Text

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
MLine
874 Views, 11 Replies

No Text

Every time that I open an existing AutoCAD, none of the text is visible.  If I then close AutoCAD, shut down the computer, restart the computer, and then reopen the file, all the text appears.  This happens every time that I open AutoCAD for the first time of the day.  It doesn't matter whether it is a file I created from scratch or if it is a file I received from someone else.  It also doesn't seem to matter if the text is in model space or paper space.

My coworker and I both have this same problem.  I have AutoCAD LT 2013, and he has AutoCAD LT 2012.  We both have 64 bit Windows 7. 

I have checked that the layers are all on, visible, not frozen.  The strange thing is that once I restart the computer and reopen AutoCAD, all the text shows up even though I don't do anything differently. 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
AcadAdamLT
in reply to: MLine

If both you and your co-worker has the same recurring problem then the problem is most likely in the drawings.

*Check if the problem persists when you open a new drawing.

*Try different templates if it persists in new drawings.

What "pack" of operating system are you using? example: Ultimate, Home business... etc

I've been having a recurring problem with Autocad being slow after startup, I could restart the computer multiple times with the same problem and after a few restarts it could suddenly be normal, but that was most likely cause of some reason we used XP 64-bits, but that is now changed to Homebusiness Windows 7 64-bit.

Also check your fonts so that your not by standard using some custom made one, if you are using a custom one try to make 2 different texts in a drawing, one with the custom font and one with standard and see if there is any difference when you start the drawing.

Are you perhaps using the same CUI?

Regards

Signature, sincerely... //Adam
AutoCad LT 2016
Give Kudos where credit is due, Mark "accepted as solution" if the post solved your question.
Message 3 of 12
MLine
in reply to: AcadAdamLT

Thanks for the reply, Adam. 

I too thought at first that it might be something that I am doing to the drawings themselves, but I have also received various drawings from various other companies, and every drawing does the same thing whether it is a drawing that I have worked on or not. 

I am using Windows 7 Enterprise.  The only three fonts that I use are Standard, ROMANS, and Arial, nothing custom.  I am afraid I don't know what a CUI is. 

All new drawings I have created so far I have used the default acadlt drawing template.  I will try your suggestion of using a different template and different fonts too.  I will post back with the results if that works or not.  Thanks again for the reply.

Message 4 of 12
AcadAdamLT

There is a known bug for annotative text in Autocad 2008, could it be so that you use annovative text?

Also, try to do "Audit" and "Regen" next time you start the problem occurs.

Audit should fix the problem if it the same bug as mentioned below.

http://www.lazydrafter.com/autocad-tips/autocad-2008-annotative-text-bug

From what it sounds as your describing it, it might not be the same bug but it's worth a shot, keep me posted with the results.

PS: CUI means Customized User Interface, but it's most likely not the problem here. Was a longshot =P

AutoCad LT 2016
Give Kudos where credit is due, Mark "accepted as solution" if the post solved your question.
Message 5 of 12
AcadAdamLT

Bump.

Any progress?

AutoCad LT 2016
Message 6 of 12
MLine

I have tried using a different template (acadltiso) other than acadlt.  I also tried several other fonts such as calibri and cambria.  No difference with these attempts.  I tried audit, too, but that didn't work. 

Perhaps this might give some insight though, when I type regen and hit enter, the commandline fills up with about 20 lines stating "**Undefined shape" and a number.  For example "**Undefined shape 77" and "**Undefined shape 101", etc.

Message 7 of 12
drjohn

Error when drawing file is opened: Undefined Shape XX

Issue

When you a open drawing file, the following error message is displayed on the command line:

Undefined Shape XX

This error message is repeated several times, and in each case the XX is replaced by a different numeric value.

Solution

This error message is typically displayed when a required font style is not available for use.

To resolve this issue, copy the required fonts from another computer where the error message is not displayed when the same file is opened. Specifically, copy each of the SHX files that reside in the Fonts folder under the installation folder of the product.

Source

Regards,

DJ

Message 8 of 12
MLine

I thought fonts like Arial are true-type fonts (TTF) and thus don't have shx files.  Is that not true? 

Message 9 of 12
drjohn

True.

It was the answer the KB gave for your error message.

Assuming you INSTALLED the TTF, apparently you may have shx files floating around in there. If not, I got nothin'.

Regards,

DJ

Message 10 of 12
MLine

Correcting something I said in my first post, my coworker with the 2012 editon is not having the same problem I am having, he had a different problem, which he has since resolved.  So that part of the equation is gone. 

As another piece of information, in the Audesk Knowledge Base, there is a page that describes the exact same problem that I am having (see link below).  Unfortunately, the provided solution lists the culprit as being a compatibility issue with a software called Copitrak.  However, I have searched my computer and found no signs of Copitrak, and I confirmed with my IT department that we don't use Copitrak.  Perhaps there is a compatibility issue with other software too?  I am not sure how I would check for that though. 

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=19396774&linkID=9240617

Message 11 of 12
MLine
in reply to: drjohn

drjohn,

I have not actively done anything to install any TTF files or to install/move/modify any shx files.  Once I have gone through my daily process of having to open AutoCAD, close it, shut down my computer, and restart so that I can see the text, I can then modify or create new text.  At that point, I can use any of the common fonts (like arial), which are available for selection from the font drop-down menu in AutoCAD, so the font appears to be loaded/installed.  Also, I can use arial without trouble in the Windows programs (Word, Excel, etc.).  I have also checked the folder C:\Windows\Fonts and arial is in there.  Does this mean that I have those bases covered, or am I missing something?   

Message 12 of 12
AcadAdamLT

Might be a stupid question but have you thought about maybe try reinstalling/repairing Autocad?

It could be just that something is corrupted and Autocad havn't detected it yet.

AutoCad LT 2016

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost