Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with inserting custom fields into txt.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
p_isaacs
350 Views, 5 Replies

Need help with inserting custom fields into txt.

I'm using AutoCAD LT 2012 and our client doesn't want/like sheet sets.

One item I'd love to have is the pg. number automated. In the current title block it's just text not an attribute. Is there a way I can take only a part of the file name and insert it as a field?

For example, the file name is DW_12321_12.dwg the last part of the name is the sheet number. Can I exclude everything but the 12 and insert just that into the field?

Any and all tips and help would be greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: p_isaacs

A suggestion: name your Layout Tab the Sheet Number so that double-checking is more obvious and convenient, then use FIELD to grab the layout name. That way if your client wakes up from their slumber and discovers SSM, or if you have to use PUBLISH to print sets (or do they make you only use PLOT?) all is not lost.

Message 3 of 6
p_isaacs
in reply to: pendean

Everything is done in modelspace. Layout isn't utilized.

Yeah....the client's slow to embrace the concept of paperspace/modelspace.

My hope was to grab just the info (sheet number) in the file name. We create a  lot of drawings from existing ones. If I do a "save as" I want that field (page number) to be able to automatically update that info.

Thanks for the tip, still good to know.

Message 4 of 6
pendean

No Problem, then the suggestion is to edit one of the Summary Tab fields in DWGPROPS and assign the sheet name there (IMHO you should be filling this out for every DWG file anyway, this is the type of info you can grab in Windows outside of AutoCAD too). Try the Keywords field for example.

Relying on a DWG name is needlessly more difficult to program that simply always creating a constant found in all files that you can always program to grab easily. Makes template titlebock file creation quite the easy task.

Message 5 of 6
p_isaacs
in reply to: pendean

If I do as you suggest, and put 12 in the summary tab. I can associate that info for my field insert for the pg. # in the title block, yes?

However, If I save sheet 12 as sheet 46, I'd still have to go into the drawing properties and change the sheet number there, yes? It won't do it for me, right?

Message 6 of 6
pendean

Yes, FIELD command has shortcuts for the many DWGPROPS categories, but it will only report what is there/listed, not whatevery you do with the file name.

Good File Management is a user active process: again, you want to take advantage of these settings not just in LT today, but in Windows and other programs you may start using now or in the future and whatever other future LT versions provide us for tools.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost