Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mtext reformatting

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
glbsnb
453 Views, 8 Replies

mtext reformatting

mtext notes in my drawings occasionally reformat when I reopen a file.  The notes become a column of single words.  I have to go to each note and stretch the box.  Doesn't always happen, but when it does every mtext box becomes a column.  I'm using LT 2012.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pendean
in reply to: glbsnb

You turned on and left on the Column setting in MTEXT: while in MTEXT, right-click, select COLUMNS then NO COLUMNS.

Take the time to always ensure that is set like that, and your Mtext issues will go away.

Message 3 of 9
glbsnb

Thanks.  How do I set the default to No Columns in the future?

Message 4 of 9
pendean

AFAIK setting it once keeps it that way until you change it.

For existing Mtext objects, PROPERTIES will let you change it to None too.

Message 5 of 9
glbsnb
in reply to: pendean

The problem of mtext reformatting to a column of single words is happening again.  I can open a file dozens of times with no issues, but at some point I open the file and most of the mtext has reformatted.  I have tried reformatting in the right-click menu and the properties pallette.  I always save when I leave the text editor.  Doesn't matter.  Eventually it will reformat to a column.  I have tried running test files to try to get columns to default to no columns, but it always defaults to manual or dynamic.  When I select a text entry that has reformatted to a column there will be a shadow of the text that is not in a column.  Any ideas?  I would really like to be able to set the default permanently to no columns.

Message 6 of 9
pendean

Start MTEXT:ensure columns is not chosen (turn it off/select no columns), write a few words then exit Mtext. Now MTEXT is set to never create columns until you change it.
I've never seen it come back on it's own, it's only after MTEXT is used and columns option is selected.

HOWEVER, This does not affect already created Mtext with columns on inside them: those must be dealt with individually either through PROPERTIES to remvoe columns or through having access to full AutoCAD and using a freeware lisp called STRIPMTEXT that is floating around the ful AutoCAD forums on this Autodesk server.
Message 7 of 9
glbsnb

I tried 3 ways to get mtext to default to "no columns" and none of them worked. Each time I opened a new file and started mtext and reset columns before typing anything. I tried with the right-click pallette, the properties inspector pallette and by dropping down the properties pallette and selecting "column settings" which opens another pallette where I chose "no columns". None of them worked. When I tried a second mtext the setting was always "manual height".

In the files I am having problems with I have reformattted with every combination of commands I can think of, but eventually I end up with columns of words. This is beyond frustrating.
Message 8 of 9
pendean

post a problematic DWG file, lets all confirm if the problem is a file or system setup.
Message 9 of 9
glbsnb

Thanks,
bruce

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost