Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move command in AutoCAD LT 2013 w/ 64bit Windows 7 Home Premium

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
mpolka
803 Views, 18 Replies

Move command in AutoCAD LT 2013 w/ 64bit Windows 7 Home Premium

I read through a long thread from users of AutoCAD LT 2012 and did not find a resolution to using the Move command and it not recognizing the 2nd input of 2' or whatever.  I have been using the move command in AutoCAD for years and never a problem.  I hit M, enter, select a single item (lilne), right click to enter it, select the base point, drag the mouse (in this case) to the right (with ortho on), let go of the mouse and without clicking enter the number 2 and ' for feet as it is prompting me to specify  a 2nd point, hit enter and nothing happens, still says to specify 2nd point.

I have been doing this for years and years.  Why no worky now?  I have some drawings I did on AutoCAD ADT 2004 and opened them in AutoCAD LT 2013 and the command works perfectly.  Any thoughts?  I am using the following:

Acer Predator G3620 with Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 12GB RAM, 64 bit operating syst., wired mouse and keyboard.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Oh, yes.  I am attaching a file for your "enjoyment."

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
Charles_Shade
in reply to: mpolka

You are not finding the answer because we can't reporduce the problem.

Using your directions; Move works fine here in LT 2013.

What is DYNMODE set to?

Tools Menu, Drafting Settings, Dynamic Input tab, is Enable dimension input where possible checked?

Message 3 of 19
mpolka
in reply to: Charles_Shade

THANKS FOR YOUR QUICK RESPONSE.  DYNMODE IS SET TO 3 AND HAS BEEN SET THERE FOR QUITE SOME TIME.

Message 4 of 19
Charles_Shade

And the Dynamic Input Tab setting as well?

Message 5 of 19
mpolka
in reply to: Charles_Shade

DYNAMIC INPUT TAB SHOWS ENABLE POINTER INPUT, ENABLE DIMENSION INPUT WHERE POSSIBLE, AND DYNAMIC PROMPTS SHOWS THE "SHOW COMMAND PROMPTING AND COMMAND INPUT..." AND "SHOW ADDITIONAL TIPS WITH..." CHECK BOXES CHECKED.

Message 6 of 19
Charles_Shade

Works here so I don't know what to tell you.

I think that is the same response as the other thread you found.

Message 7 of 19
pendean

Instead of right-clicking to get <enter>, use your other hand to hit the keyboard key <enter>: does the problem go away?

Message 8 of 19
mpolka
in reply to: pendean

thanks a lot for trying for me.  Yes, I tried that too and it still hangs up.

Message 9 of 19
pendean

Then as you note, the problem must be embedded in the file and not the program: post it?

Message 10 of 19
mpolka

How can I avoid this problem in the future?  Should I start all my new files with a template made from one of my ADT 2004 files?

Message 11 of 19
pendean

Is that your problem, you are working in ADT/ARCHITECTURE files in LT2013? Attached is a 2013 file from LT2013, works fine here. Does it do the same error you report?

Message 12 of 19
drjohn

@mpolka wrote:

How can I avoid this problem in the future?  Should I start all my new files with a template made from one of my ADT 2004 files?

You dwg is set in decimal units as I open it.  If I type in M and select a line, drag it to the right (ortho on) and type in 2' it responds (as it should) with INVALID POINT and returns to SELECT SECOND POINT.  If I type in M and select the same line and select base point and drag the cursor (ortho on) to the right and enter 2 and press (or click) enter, the line moves.

If I reset your units to architectural and do the above function with a 2' (with the foot mark) it moves just fine.

Summary: you are entering the wrong format for the units you are in. At least you are for the sample drawing you posted.

Regards,

DJ

Message 13 of 19
mpolka

No.  I am not working in ADT 2004 files.  However, as i stated, if I cut and paste the offending drawing into a file that was created in ADT 2004, then the move command works just fine.  It's just that when I create a new drawing from Acad LT 2013, it does not work.

Message 14 of 19
mpolka
in reply to: drjohn

what do you mean, "as it should?"  I did this thousands of times before.

Message 15 of 19
bgingerich

To elaborate on drjohn's answer.  Type UNITS and specify 'Architectural'.  That should get you what you want. 

(if ("mysolution"=answer) then (click "Accept As Solution"))
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Brandon Gingerich
Message 16 of 19
mpolka
in reply to: drjohn

It works when I change the units.  Why does it not work when it is in decimal?  Would it work if I use Metric?  I do work in metric sometimes.  Thank you for your help.

Message 17 of 19
mpolka
in reply to: bgingerich

thank you for your help.  I just replied to Dr. John and asked why it does not work if in decimal units and also if it does or does not work in Metric units.  I am befuddled as to why it does not work in decimal.  Don't people who work in decimal need to move things a specific distance as well?  How do you move things if not for the way I was doing it?  do you use absolute coordinates?

thanks.

Message 18 of 19
KateMorricalTowne

I think you're geting tripped up by the feet-and-inches indicators. The marks ' and " have no meaning in decimal or metric systems -- it doesn't understand 2'-4" (although you could enter 28 -- with no inch mark -- and that would work). If you want to use feet-and-inches, with their accompanying punctuation, you need to use Architectural units. In all likelihood your ADT drawings are set that way by default, while your AutoCAD LT drawings are not. But you can easily change that in your template file.

--
Kate Morrical
Digital Design Manager, Washington DC
BIMmuse.com
Message 19 of 19
mpolka
in reply to: KateMorricalTowne

You are absolutely correct.  I tried moving a line without adding in the foot mark punctuation and it moved the line the 24 inches that I input, just 24, with no punctuation.  Thank you so much.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost