Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mouse cursor lag when selecting objects

30 REPLIES 30
SOLVED
Message 1 of 31
gccdesign
31568 Views, 30 Replies

Mouse cursor lag when selecting objects

The issue I am having a problem with is a mouse cursor freeze when I select an object with no command active.

When I select an object, the cursor will freeze for about a second before I can move it again. When I hit escape to de-select the object the same thing happens.

This is with Acad LT 2011. WinXP. 

Normal operation this computer runs ACAD quite fast, no particular lags or anything except maybe when selecting to copy or move very large groups of objects, or when switching between layouts or to model space when there is a fair amount of stuff in the layout, or when regen on a large file size.

This mouse cursor lag was not always the case, but at some point this problem appeared.

I have tried save, regen, regenall, closing the drawing, exiting ACAD LT, rebooting the computer.

It's very irritating, since so much of using ACAD is clicking and doing things with the mouse, that it really slows down my production, to have to get a cup of coffee every time I do a select action with the mouse.

About a week ago I installed the trial version of LT 2012 to see if it was different. When I opened the same dwg in 2012 there was no lag.

I then closed this and opened the dwg in 2011, and there was no lag. So it seems that the installation of the 2012 trial version changed something in the way 2011 operated.

It has been operating fine now with no lag until this morning. Now I have the lag again.

When I now open the same dwg in 2012, I now have this lag in 2012 as well.

I did not change any settings in 2012 or 2011 like hardware acceleration or whatever. I just suddenly had this lag, and now I can't seem to get rid of it.

Attached is a file that was made by opening ACAD LT 2011 and drawing a few lines, then saving it. No template used.

On my computer with this file, I get the mouse cursor lag when I select a line.

GChapp

Tags (2)
30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
gccdesign
in reply to: gccdesign

More info on desktop computer, the one with the laggy cursor problem.

I have an NVidia GeForce 7950 GT graphics card. Up to date driver.

I use a Logitech Anywhere mouse with the SetPoint software to map buttons.

I also have a Dell M6600 Win7 64 bit, 8 GB RAM. Same mouse setup. Also 2011 LT.

These same dwgs opened in it have no cursor lag. They act the same as my desktop did before the lag started.

If I open the drawings on the laptop (no lag), change them, save them, and re-open on the desktop, the desktop still has the lag.

So it appears to be not a dwg file issue, but rather an ACAD program issue of some sort. And an issue that was temporarily fixed by installation of the 2012 trial version. But now after a week or so, the problem has re-appeared and now affects both the 2011 and 2012 trial version.

GChapp

Message 3 of 31
pendean

Is the LAYER palette on? Turn it off, don't just minimize/hide i.

Did you turn on Selection Cycling?

Did you turn on Quick Properties?

Show Transparency On?

Show Lineweights On?

DYNMODE on?

The last five are buttons on the lower-left of your screen you may have tapped.

Message 4 of 31
gccdesign
in reply to: pendean

I have tried turning these things on and off. No change.

Also, what is interesting, or perhaps telling, is that the lag recently started again, spontaneously, after I did a move command.

No change to any of these options.

1.I always leave the layer pallette off while drawing. Only turn on when needed, then off again. It does affect speed.

2.Selection cycling always off. Didn't particularly like it.

3.QP always off, gets in the way.

4.Transparency (for pallets) default, set to 100%. Changing to off for all makes no difference to mouse lag issue. Transparency button (lower left) usually off, still off, on and off makes no difference.

5.Lineweights on, turning off makes no difference to lag.

6.Dynmode (-3) off on button. Makes no difference.

GChapp

Message 5 of 31
gccdesign

Just for the heck of it I uninstalled the graphics card driver and re-installed.

Still have lag issue.

GChapp

Message 6 of 31
gccdesign

Now, mysteriously, after starting up ACAD once more, the cursor lag is gone.

Now when I click on an object, it gets selected, with no mouse lag whatsoever.

Go figure.

GChapp

Message 7 of 31
joe1979

I've been having the same problem with AutoCAD 2009 the past couple days and think I may have just found the cause.

I started checking what other apps were running on my computer and found McAfee taking up about 50% CPU. Turned off On-Access Virus Scanning and viola, no more lag. Turned it on and I'm back in lag city.

What's wierd is that I've never had this problem before. I'm wondering if there was some sort of update on McAfee that has caused this.

Message 8 of 31
pendean
in reply to: joe1979

Was it actively scanning running apps? Or LT? most AV apps allow you to specify which programs to exclude from such scans.

Message 9 of 31
gccdesign
in reply to: joe1979

I use McAfee Anti Virus Plus, version 11.0. It updates itself all the time.

I looked over the menus, and I don't see any On-Access Virus Scanning option. That phrase is just not in there anywhere.

It does have "Real-Time Scanning", that is always on except when I am installing a new program.

This feature has been on continuously while I had zero mouse lag, and during the time I had the mouse lag, and now it's still on while I currently have zero mouse lag (thankfully).

Maybe this On-Access scanning is similar to the Real-Time Scanning.

Also on my laptop, which has not had the mouse lag problem, it has always been on.

I did check at the time I had the lag, though, and made sure that the AV was not running a HD scan. That will slow things down sometimes. So that wasn't it.

It is possible McAfee has changed something, it updates frequently and does not pester me with asking for approval.

If I get the mouse lag again, I will do as joe1979 did and look for CPU usage, and play with McAfee settings.

GChapp

Message 10 of 31
ccieslak

I had the same issue you are describing and it drove me crazy. I checked all the discussion threads and tried all the suggestions and then by pure chance I solved the issue. For me it was simply this:

Check to see if you have any Unreconciled New Layers. I simply reconcile the layer and my mouse stopped lagging/stuttering. If the other suggestions don't work, see if you have that issue. That worked for me.

Hope it helps,

Chris 

Message 11 of 31
pendean
in reply to: ccieslak

Closing your LAYER palette (not just hiding it) probably would have resolved your issue with the unreconciled layers: try it next time it happens.

And unless you crave the info because you work with a team of users that constantly change your XREFs, you can turn off that "unreconciled" feature in LT.

Message 12 of 31
CAD_Ninja

I am having this same issue. It seems whenever I move my cursor over my external reference, it stutters. I've done nothing different to this background as I have the rest of them. I know it's the background file, but now I don't know how to solve it. As long as I'm in the xreffed file, everything works fine, but as soon as its referenced, the drawing that has the reference is dog slow. I've tried changing from Overlay to Attach and it affects nothing. The file is on its own layer (locked to fade). Is there some way to change a reference setting?

I'm using AutoCAD 2015 with CADPipe Gen2.3.1 add-on. It does it in standard CAD- without opening CADPipe, so it's not that. I'm running Windows 7-64 with no other issues with any other backgrounds or references. Just not sure what else to do... 

I've attached the drawing in question... 

Thanks in advance.

-Jimi

Message 13 of 31
norcalcboy

Is your properties window open? That was the problem for me.

Message 14 of 31
pendean
in reply to: CAD_Ninja

IF the problem is over an Xref, why would a single file example also exhibit the problem? Just wondering... .

Nothing wrong with your single file: is the problem with ALL Xrefs in ALL files throughout your office, or is this the only location where you have the problem?
And as suggested by others, are ALL of your palettes closed? XREF, LAYER, TPs, PROPERTIES etc. to name a few.
Message 15 of 31
agentornge75

I have also encountered unacceptable slowdowns.  I've noticed that multiple drawings open in one session of AutoCAD can cause a significant slowdown (or worsen a manageable minor one). I recommend working with one drawing open per session, and opening a second to do a task, then closing it (much like the layer palette workflow).

Also, for whatever reason, shutting AutoCAD down and rebooting it sometimes alleviates this problem, and in more severe cases, try rebooting the computer. In past versions, AutoCAD was a virtual memory hog and leak - meaning the longer it was open, the more memory it required until your computer just died.

Best of luck.

Message 16 of 31

have you recently edited a block within the drawing? 

I get the selection slow down directly after ive edited a block every time. 

I dont know how to fix it other than closing and reopening autocad. 

Message 17 of 31
mp_thompson
in reply to: chris.thorley

Good one @chris.thorley it was doing my head in but it seems that block editing is the issue.

I only seem to be able to replicate it if I edit a block and go leave block editing without saving, then save via the dialogue box.

Can anyone else replicate what seems to be a bug? I'm using 2017.

www.thompsonarchitecture.co.uk
Message 18 of 31
tylerstieber
in reply to: norcalcboy

I tried everything, emptying the temp folder, turning off hardware acceleration, restarting, etc...

Finally, read the comment on closing the properties bar and the point cloud manager... it's gone... not sure what the issue was, but it was only sporadic... oh I feel so relieved lol

Message 19 of 31
Libaax5

Pendean

Some how your responses are hope less and not only that but you make me very angry, because you block with wrong solutions you respond with BAD answer,,,,,,,, STOP, everywhere I go for help you are there, these settings are standard and they worked many years before you started placing, wrong recommendations, just stay away let Autodesk respond.

Pendean Stay away,

I have this lagging cursor and there should be no try this but a correct working solution FROM AIUTODESK 

Alexander

Architect

Message 20 of 31
agentornge75
in reply to: Libaax5

Woah, hold up.

I'm quite sure Pendean doesn't need me to fight any battles here, but get a grip.  This isn't a user with 5 comments and no solutions/kudos.  those are earned, not profile fluff.

A) all of his suggestions in this thread are completely valid for this issue.  a lagging/stuttering mouse is a complex problem with potentially many system variables affecting it.

B) you're talking about someone who constantly volunteers to give any user willing to ask sound, competent, and quick advice on a solution to a problem.

Libaax5, a suggestion.  take a step back from your emotions.  read the answers, try them all. You may find your stuttering and lagging stops.  mine has, and in no small part due to Pendean's astute comments and pertinent knowledge.

If they don't, let us know.  As a community we can work together to figure out the next 'thing to try', because THAT'S JUST WHAT IT TAKES.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost