Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2013 - Measurements wont stay??

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
Kmcleod2
4500 Views, 18 Replies

AutoCAD 2013 - Measurements wont stay??

When i choose the measurement option and drag it to the length or distance i need, it gived me the drop down menu of "Distance", "Radius", "Angle", "Area',"Volume", "exit".  So when i choose any of these my measurment goes away??

Cannot get any measurement to stay. 

using win7

Autocad LT 2013.

[ The subject line of this post has been edited to include the product name by @handjonathan ]

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
pendean
in reply to: Kmcleod2

measurement option? What command are you launching?
Message 3 of 19
Kmcleod2
in reply to: pendean

Im not typing any command, Above "utilities" on the "Home" tab there is a Button that says "Measure" i click it, it ask me to specify first point then the second, when i do so it brings up my measurement and a drop down menu with the choices i stated before, when i choose one of them my measurement goes away, and it wont let me "not choose an option.

Message 4 of 19
pendean

You need to learn which commands you are launching: whether you pick them from a menu or type them. With that knowledge you can look up the command in HELP and understand how it works.

In this case, you appear to be launching MEASUREGEOM command: that command is designed for continuous use, as in it's always ready for the next set of functions whether it is distance, area and more.
After your first two clicks, the command reports what that distance is at the commandline: then it pauses and is ready to continue.
Your distance did not 'go away', it's still on the commandline. Scroll up or tap F2 on your keyboard to see it.

Don't like how that works? Then use DIST command, all it does is let you measure one distance then it stops. Funny enough, MEASUREGEOM's Help page links you to this command as well as the other commands that you can use separately. You can type it, or you can add it to the panel where MEASUREGEOM is located, or you can replace MEASUREGEOM command: start up CUI command to do so, there are many tutorials on youtube to walk you through how to use it. post back if you get stuck.

Don't fear exploring commands in HELP, and don't fear learning the name of a command. This is AutoCAD, not etch-a-sketch, you've got to be willing to dig deep and understand the nuances and features of the program in order to be most efficient (and get paid for that experience).
Message 5 of 19
Kmcleod2

oddly enough i do know how the command line works and can almost make out the diffrence between this and an etch a sketch. So with that being said it does not matter what i do, wether it is hit the button to measure or Type in MEASUREGEOM or DIST, it does the same thing.

Message 6 of 19
pendean

LOL, I like it 🙂

.DIST (note the period in the name, type it), is the core command: still does it? I can't replicate here, two different commands for me.

ScreenShot001.jpg

Message 7 of 19
dgorsman

Stupid question time: are you attempting to measure something, or are you trying to add dimensions to a drawing?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 19
Kmcleod2
in reply to: dgorsman

Add dimensions.

Message 9 of 19
drjohn

Hmmm ... maybe try the dimlinear or dimordinate commands?  See if that helps.

Regards,

DJ

Message 10 of 19
pendean

What you are selecting is not a dimension tool: this is where knowing what command you are involking and reading HELP, again, would have saved you so much time.

Let's work your way:
1. HOME Tab has a Annotation Panel, top right of that panel is an icon that actially looks like a dimension with the work LINEAR right next to it. That's a dimension tool. Click on the arrow next to the word LINEAR and you get more diensioning options.
or
2. ANNOTATE tab, 3rd one from the left, two down from HOME tab: it has a DIMENSIONS panel. Use that.

Watch what commands you are launching and look up usage in HELP: drafting blindly is no way to work. Post back if you get stuck.
Message 11 of 19
RobDraw

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 12 of 19
alishaUT3PX
in reply to: RobDraw

And that is precisely what I’m talking about right there ….

But to answer your question, I paid absolutely no attention to the date whatsoever.  I had no idea how old it was until you pointed it out to me .

But even if I had, what difference does it make ?  A question is a question whether it was asked 10 years ago or 10 minutes ago unless the answer to said question is now obsolete . Which in this case , it’s not. 

And though I’ve got no obligation to do so, I will further clarify that my comment on this thread was partly fueled by the fact that I’d just come across this forum member being just as rude to someone else on another (still very active) thread .

So no, I did not just randomly come on here to say thAt . I don’t have that kind of time.. I wish I did! 

Message 13 of 19
alishaUT3PX
in reply to: alishaUT3PX

Ok whoa… totally off topic but I just noticed that my comment posted under a username I’ve never seen before and my forum badge now says “1”.  Not sure what just happened here .. :/. 

Message 14 of 19
RobDraw

@alishaUT3PX 

Personal attacks are bad form and frowned upon in these forums. If you don't like the way something is said, report it and move on instead of flaming individuals. What you are doing is much worse.

Rob

Message 15 of 19
alishaUT3PX
in reply to: RobDraw

I  did not “attack” anyone .  And I somewhat resent that you are commenting on something on which you were not even a part of and don’t have any idea what I’m referencing. You are forming an opinion on something you aren’t even aware of . To insinuate that I’m “doing” something detrimental to the forum because of what I said is insanity to me. There are NUMEROUS valuable contributors on this platform that give of their knowledge WITHOUt being patronising , condescending, or flat out rude. And THAT is what I was getting at . And so therefor you are essentially saying to me that I have no right to call someone out who DOES do those things because you’ve somehow decided that , that is ok or holds value or has a place on this forum. It does not.

That being said, regardless of what I think about it, it IS your opinion to that of which you are entitled.

Agree to disagree and we can each move on with our lives. 

Message 16 of 19
RobDraw
in reply to: alishaUT3PX

@alishaUT3PX wrote:

And though I’ve got no obligation to do so, I will further clarify that my comment on this thread was partly fueled by the fact that I’d just come across this forum member being just as rude to someone else on another (still very active) thread .

Doesn't that mean that you have singled out this person and berated them because you were offended by something that they said to someone else? In other words. you attacked them for something that had nothing to do with you.

"I somewhat resent that you are commenting on something on which you were not even a part of "

isn't that exactly what you did here? (See above.)

"don’t have any idea what I’m referencing."

I do know about that other thread where you were doing the same thing and one of your comments was totally inappropriate and has been subsequently edited.

Stop being supersensitive and do as I said above. Just report the individual instead airing your personal grievances on the forum. It's rude.

Rob

Message 17 of 19
infoT6TAV

If you guys are done talking about your hurt fee fees, here's a video that tells you how to make the text dimensions show up. I had the same issue as the original poster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDkatpZMGgY

Message 18 of 19
RobDraw
in reply to: infoT6TAV

@infoT6TAV wrote:

I had the same issue as the original poster

You weren't using the dimension tool when you wanted to place dimensions?

@infoT6TAV wrote:

here's a video that tells you how to make the text dimensions show up.

What are text dimensions?

@infoT6TAV wrote:

If you guys are done talking about your hurt fee fees,

Really? This is what you came here to say with your first post in the forums?

Rob

Message 19 of 19
pendean
in reply to: infoT6TAV

@infoT6TAV wrote:

If you guys are done talking about your hurt fee fees, here's a video that tells you how to make the text dimensions show up. I had the same issue as the original poster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDkatpZMGgY

Excellent tutorial video: using the correct tools (Dimensions) instead of the wrong tools (Measurement) is always the best approach.

For anyone else reading this post and your reply, here is a another video tutorial and explains the difference in AutoCAD between MEASUREMENTS (the original problem faced by the user) and DIMENSIONS (the solution, aka using the correct tools) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyChOMWihJI 

HTH

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost