Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macro in AutoCAD 2012 LT to auto label Rafters with lengths

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
mel
Participant
3247 Views, 5 Replies

Macro in AutoCAD 2012 LT to auto label Rafters with lengths

I need a macro to auto label, with DIMLINEAR, the lines for Rafters with the lenghts. I have the Dimension Styles set up for each roof pitch, but need a macro to auto label the line instead of clicking each line individually. Also, I can't find a ROUNDUP feature in the Dimension Styles. I've got it to round to the nearest 2' but it won't go up....if it's 11' it goes to 10'...I need it to go to 12'.

Thanks in advance for any advice or direction.

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: mel

DIMRND is the name of the variable for rounding: type it, and explore it in HELP.

Not sure what the other item you are talking about: can you post an example and more instructions?

Message 3 of 6
mel
Participant
in reply to: pendean

Dean,

Thanks for the response.

I've set up the round feature in DIMLINEAR but I need it to round UP to he nearest 2' increment. In lumber all the lengths are sold, starting with 8', in 2' increments. 8', 10', 12', 14', 16'...ect. So if I have a measurement of 12'-6", I need it to go to 14' and not down to 12'.

The macro that I'm trying to create would be one that would label the lines used for roof rafters automatically with the correct lengths with the correct pitch factor. If I could get someone to help me with the macro that would add a DIM to the lines automatically, I could add in the stuff for the pitch factors myself. So basically if I have lines on a layer with nothing else but the lines on that layer, named "RAFTER", I need a button to label the lines with their lengths so I don't have to click each line using DIMLINEAR. I am currently working on one now that has 371 rafters on it and I have to click every one of them. I need to speed up this redundant, repetitive process.

Thanks again for your help.

Message 4 of 6
pendean

>>>...So if I have a measurement of 12'-6", I need it to go to 14' and not down to 12'...<<<

There is no 'rounding up' option like that in LT: you need full AutoCAD and some serious Lisp programming that is focused on your exact industry measurement needs. Or buy full AutoCAD add-ons like this http://www.jtbworld.com/timbertool.htm or these http://www.alexschreyer.net/timber-engineering/cad-software/ (try before you buy of course, none work with LT).

Other than DIMRND I noted above, you can also look up DIMPOST variable (Specifies a text prefix or suffix (or both) to the dimension measurement) to help with automatic labeling in your macro. if you want to stick with LT, you are going to be limiting yourself to about a dozen or so macros with preset lengths (you need to LIST or DIST the length first then click on the coreect button for the one dimension macro OR you can draw the dimension then click on a macro that uses DIMEDIT to override the actual dimension with your rounded-up number) and add the pitch manually.

Which method do you want to do with LT? PROVIDE AN EXAMPLE OF A FINAL DIMENSION STRING AS YOU WISH IT TO FINALLY APPEAR.

Message 5 of 6
mel
Participant
in reply to: pendean

Sean, Thanks again for the reply. I've attached a snapshot of the finished product.
Message 6 of 6
mel
Participant

Dean,

I'm sorry...it's still early this morning...I mis-typed your name on the previous post. Sorry about that.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost