Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

low memory window

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
hc100
856 Views, 28 Replies

low memory window

I keep getting this message come up 

"AutoCAD LT is running out of system memmory. Continuing the current opperation may result in program failure or loss of data. Do you want to cancel the current operation."

Does any one know what memory this pretains to?

28 REPLIES 28
Message 21 of 29
hc100
in reply to: pendean

I tried shutting down unnecessary processes, as I shut down the processes I think Autocad was using up the memory right away.   Autocad seams to be limited to 2gb of ram even when there is more than 2gb.

Message 22 of 29
pendean
in reply to: hc100

I no longer have XP or access to an XP machine, but that was a common problem back in the day.

Is your anti-virus set to scan AutoCAD and it's files/functions?

Message 23 of 29
hc100

The antivirus is set to do a scan once a day, it's not suppose to affect the performance during the day.

Message 24 of 29
drjohn

@hc100 wrote:

I tried shutting down unnecessary processes, as I shut down the processes I think Autocad was using up the memory right away.   Autocad seams to be limited to 2gb of ram even when there is more than 2gb.

Just checking, but did you know about setting the /3GB switch in your boot.ini file?

----------------

/3GB

This switch forces x86-based systems to allocate 3 GB of virtual address space to programs and 1 GB to the kernel and to executive components. A program must be designed to take advantage of the additional memory address space. With this switch, user mode programs can access 3 GB of memory instead of the usual 2 GB that Windows allocates to user mode programs. The switch moves the starting point of kernel memory to 3 GB. Some configurations of Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 and Microsoft Windows Server 2003 may require this switch.

------------------

Many hits on the goog to get instructions on how to set it.

Regards,

DJ

Message 25 of 29
hc100
in reply to: pendean

I didn't know about the 3gb switch. I will have to some research and find out about it.

Message 26 of 29
Charles_Shade

We beat that pony early in this thread.

Message 27 of 29
drjohn
in reply to: Charles_Shade

@Charles_Shade wrote:

We beat that pony early in this thread.

Apparently not hard 'nough to cause an impression. Smiley Tongue

Message 28 of 29
pendean
Message 29 of 29
hc100

From what I have read about the 3GB switch I don't think it will work for my computer.

I am not sure if I have the concept of the 3GB switch figured out.  what I get out of it is with the switch set it leaves 1GB for the video card, drivers and other things. Since my computer has a 1GB video card it leaves no space for the drivers, witch may cause the computer not to run.

A 64 bit system looks better as I find out more about the 32 bit system.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost