Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load shx file from another drawing.

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
987 Views, 1 Reply

Load shx file from another drawing.

Hi.

I have a drawing, lets call it "drawing#1.dwg", which contains some linestyles that I would like to use in "drawing#2.dwg". If i copy, use adcentre or use design centre to add the line style from drawing#1.dwg to drawing#2.dwg, drawing#2.dwg will always try and reference drawing#1.dwg shx file.

1) What I would ideally like to be able to do is load the line styles from drawing#1 into drawing#2 and make the line styles "embeded", (may not be the right word to use), into drawing#2 without having to always reference a shx file. In saying that, my line style may be to complicated to do that, so my second option would be to............

2) Rename drawing#1.shx file to drawing#2.shx file and then make it so that every time drawing#2 opens it looks for the drawing#2.shx file.

The reason I would like to do this is because we are always sending drawings off to clients. I don't want the client to open a drawing which has a drawing title which references their job and then have to use a shx file from another job that I created ages ago. ie. client opens drawing 1000.dwg and autocad prompts the client to load the file 1.shx instead of 1000.shx.

Thanks for your help.

Chad

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

SHX files need to be centrally located for the program to find on it's own, you can't 'embed' them.

You never EVER want to rename an SHX file: that is a file management nightmare and a very bad idea to boot. If it's a different SHX file, it can have a different name, but having the same SHX file with dozens or hundreds of names is not good idea IMHO.

You need to use ETRANSMIT command's bundling feature to send proper packages of drawings (and support file) to clients.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost