Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linetypes Will not Purge

119 REPLIES 119
SOLVED
Message 1 of 120
Anonymous
86230 Views, 119 Replies

Linetypes Will not Purge

Hi,

So i have all these linetypes (see image) that i think originated in Microstation and have appeared on my computer when i binded a few DWGs derived from DGNs. (I can explain all that more if you think its warrented).

This is basicly what keeps happening.

- I open a brand new template, all line types are there (usual: dashed, phantom etc).

- I can work away happily, untill i copy something (a line, text, circle....) from a drawing that has these linetypes and BAM they all appear in the new drawing.

In this way, the linetypes have 'spread' into quite a few dwg's, and i cannot get rid of them once they are in the drawing and its saved.

A few other things....

- Other people in the office can open the drawings on their computers = NO weird Linetypes appear. Some open it and they do appear. (so if you open the dwg attached to this and find no linetypes, i dont know why!)

- The linetypes wont purge due to being in use etc

I would say the problem has originated from when I binded the xrefs, which is fine, but how to i fix it now?

The two main xrefs that appear to be referenced in the linetypes description are being used by other people in the workplace so i cant just delete them and start again.

Hopefully someone has as idea of what I can do/try to fix the problem!

Linetypes.JPG

119 REPLIES 119
Message 101 of 120
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

They are probably in use in the content you imported and kept.
Message 102 of 120
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Hi thanks for your reply
I forgot to mention I have since deleted everything i had imported and then purged it/Wblock it to get rid of the line types but this is still not working.
Message 103 of 120
Anonymous

Did you do the DXFOUT command and then purge? That is what worked for most.
Message 104 of 120
joshuafisher.jf

Hi Pendean,

In your version of AutoCAD, does the purge window give you options for 'orphaned data' or 'Zero-length geometry / Empty text objects'?

If not, you may have many objects in your drawing dependent on these line-types;  I used to do the following if i experienced this issue in the older versions of AutoCAD.

1. Open your drawing encountering these issues

2. Zoom to extents of your drawing

3. CTRL + A (To select every entity in your drawing, using your cursor WON'T do this)

4. Whilst holding Shift (To deselect), highlight all objects with your cursor (This will deselect all objects with data)

5. Check your properties pallet to see if any objects are currently selected, If they are, these could be the cause. Delete these and run 'PURGE' to see if they are removed.

(TIP: Sometimes saving the drawing file as a DXF whilst doing the above can be more effective).

Let me know how you go.

Message 105 of 120
dreno99

See Katrin Wilson post in this thread 1/13/2013 for how to purge the linetypes. It works.
Message 106 of 120
Anonymous

Amazing. It worked!!!!!!

Thank you !
Message 107 of 120
trunyan

You are welcome. I just wish that this thread could have the two answers because sometimes the wblock works and others you have to DXFout.

Happy cadd-ing

Message 108 of 120
Anonymous

This was a great help and worked perfectly. Thanks for posting! 🙂 

Message 109 of 120
Anonymous

Thanks for posting! This worked perfectly!

Message 110 of 120
Anonymous
in reply to: drjohn

After deleting all drawing and purged (PU) the file there are no blocks no groups no layers no text styles, no dim styles, PU (purge) deletes all unused layers lines etc. but still that lines there...

i think it's a *.lin file loaded.

tried to find it but can't find.

the acad.lin and acadiso.lin files can be loaded when i tried to load from layers line types.

but that menu only loads the new file, not erases from the list.

my DWG files attached below.

do you know how to?

Regards

Selim GÖNENÇacadlin.jpg

Message 111 of 120
hwalker

Here are your drawings back.

What version of AutoCAD are you using? LT2016 on has a PURGE ORPHANED DATA tick box in the purge menu

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 112 of 120
pendean

OR... use WBLOCK to select what you want to export out of the file to a new DWG, all unused items are always left behind.
Message 113 of 120
Anonymous
in reply to: hwalker

Yes ! 

it's done!

well done, thank you so much,

but how?

ver.AutoCAD2013 sp2

Message 114 of 120
hwalker

Does your purge command have the PURGE ORPHANED DATA which you can see in the attached image

Capture.PNG

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 115 of 120
WarrenGeissler

As @hwalker said - it's an extra option added with the recent interoperability with Microstation .DGN files:

Automatically purge orphaned data

Performs a drawing scan and removes obsolete DGN linestyle data when you open the Purge dialog box

Warren Geissler
Drafting Manager Denver Water

Please ACCEPT AS SOLUTON if this works
(...and doesn't melt your computer or cause Armageddon)

Message 116 of 120
Anonymous
in reply to: hwalker

Many Thanks!

The PURGE window is same as your attachment except PURGE ORPHANED DATA option in ACAD2013.

But after DXFOUT command linetypes are all purged in dxf drawing.

Message 117 of 120
Anonymous

laytrans command use to remove unknow line types

frist

laytrans

new

create 0 layer

then old 0 layer select then new 0 layer dabble click 

then lay trans only

when purge command use 

remove all line and unknown removed 

Message 118 of 120
pendean

Pay attention to where you are posting: LAYTRANS is not an option for LT users, the forum you are posting in.

Message 119 of 120
francis.mahaney

Not sure if the following is exactly what you're looking to do, but it was the simplest and fastest way I found once searching this and other threads online:

https://www.ideateinc.com/blog/2015/02/removing-un-purgeable-linetypes-using

Message 120 of 120
Anonymous
in reply to: Johneng

This was my solution to the xref line types. Sometimes when importing lines or objects from other drawings (especially architectural) you might get hundreds or even thousands of unwanted line types that won't purge out.  I was using 2018 auto cad (this might work for other versions). Take the corrupted drawing and type purge in the command box. Check "Purge nested Items" box and the "Automatically purge orphaned data" check box. This will decrease the file size and delete some unwanted line types. Then,  simply copy the whole drawing and paste it into a brand new one. Save the new drawing and override the older corrupted one. Hope this helps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost