Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linetypes Will not Purge

119 REPLIES 119
SOLVED
Message 1 of 120
Anonymous
86224 Views, 119 Replies

Linetypes Will not Purge

Hi,

So i have all these linetypes (see image) that i think originated in Microstation and have appeared on my computer when i binded a few DWGs derived from DGNs. (I can explain all that more if you think its warrented).

This is basicly what keeps happening.

- I open a brand new template, all line types are there (usual: dashed, phantom etc).

- I can work away happily, untill i copy something (a line, text, circle....) from a drawing that has these linetypes and BAM they all appear in the new drawing.

In this way, the linetypes have 'spread' into quite a few dwg's, and i cannot get rid of them once they are in the drawing and its saved.

A few other things....

- Other people in the office can open the drawings on their computers = NO weird Linetypes appear. Some open it and they do appear. (so if you open the dwg attached to this and find no linetypes, i dont know why!)

- The linetypes wont purge due to being in use etc

I would say the problem has originated from when I binded the xrefs, which is fine, but how to i fix it now?

The two main xrefs that appear to be referenced in the linetypes description are being used by other people in the workplace so i cant just delete them and start again.

Hopefully someone has as idea of what I can do/try to fix the problem!

Linetypes.JPG

119 REPLIES 119
Message 61 of 120
Anonymous
in reply to: katrin.sullivan

This Hotfix requires the NETLOAD command, any chance there is a way to use the hotfix in AutoCAD LT (where there is no NETLOAD) ?

Message 62 of 120
Anonymous
in reply to: katrin.sullivan

This worked for me as well (using 2012).  Only problem is, a couple of my layers changed colors for some reason, but most of them stayed the same, so this wasn't too much trouble to fix.

Message 63 of 120
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Scratch that...the problem was actually that objects whose color was not set to "by layer" have changed color to "by layer" after performing the layer translator fix.
Message 64 of 120
mwright1971

I had a problem with purging linetypes and found if I load our company's dimstyles, multileaderstyles, and textstyles using the "CTRL + 2" command, go to annotate and change the current styles to ours, then wblock the entire drawing, it got rid of all the linetypes.

I don't know if someone touched on this yet, but I wanted to share it because it's so incredibly annoying and frustrating having a block that is so small yet shows up as 10MB and screws up your drawings and xrefs and you tried every trick to purge those linetypes and they won't go away!

Message 65 of 120
Anonymous

I tried deleting all the linetypes from any xrefed drawings, which I did. I even detached them from the main drawing. I w-blocked the main drawing, purged it, audited it and I can not get rid of the unwanted linetypes. Any other suggetions????

Message 66 of 120
katrin.sullivan

Autodesk has finally provided a hotfix for this check here.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autocad-C2-AE-dgn-hot...

Katrin Sullivan

Kleinfelder Information Technology Services
Practice Technologies Division
Message 67 of 120
Anonymous

The DXFOUT and DXFIN commands. Purge the drawings before bringing them back in.

Message 68 of 120
Anonymous

I have dxfout the drawing and then try to purge as suggested. I've tried three times and just get an unhandled fatal exception error. Also when the purge box opens, linetypes is not listed as able to purge.

Pam Ericson
Design Tech
Gleeson Constructors & Engineers, L.L.C.
2015 E. 7th St.
Sioux City, IA 51101
Tele: (712) 258-9300
www.gleesonllc.com

" Designers of Value - Builders of Trust"
[Description: cid:image001.jpg@01CA639C.1F46EBB0]
Message 69 of 120
Anonymous

Save as a dxf, close, re-open the dxf, purge all, audit and fix the errors,
then save as dwg. I was frustrated with this problem too and this method
has totally solved it for me. (I'm using AutoCAD 2012 if that matters.)

Matt Leonard
Atlanta, GA
matthew.wayne.leonard@gmail.com
Message 70 of 120
pendean

AutoCAD/LT 2015 handles removal of DGN linetypes in PURGE command.
Autodesk doesn't put new features into older programs as you know.
Message 71 of 120
Anonymous

Thank you soooooo much. That worked!!!! This issue has been driving me crazy!!! I will document this because I now have several drawings with this issue. Have a GREAT!!!! day.

Thanks again Matt.

Message 72 of 120
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

This did not work for me, but thanks. The info in the post above did.
Message 73 of 120
Anonymous

Found this app which helps batch process the CAD files, using Autocad 2014, pity it doesn't work for Autocad LT

https://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/ACD/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3adrawingpu...

Message 74 of 120
Anonymous
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Thank you so much. You are my lifesaver.

Message 75 of 120
Anonymous

This is a programing glitch 

The line types are unable to purge because it is linked to layer 0.

So for an easy fix, just translate 0.

Command: LAYTRANS

Then load a standard template and map 0 to 0.

Then just translate, select translate only.

Finally just purge the drawing.

Message 76 of 120
pendean

There is no LAYTRANS command in LT, the forum you are posting in.
Message 77 of 120

Thanks very much ro Katrin for the fix.  I just wanted to add how this 'content can just appear' despite what a previous poster said.  I cleaned my drawing as per katrins post.  A bit later I noticed all the few hundred line types were back.  After a little experimentation I realized that cut and pasting a single line from an 'infected' drawing would cause a few hundred line types to appear in my new drawing.  I don't know how one single acad line can come with a few hundred linetypes but it did.  Sure seems like a bug to me.

Message 78 of 120
pendean
in reply to: Davidgun64

DGN Linetypes are present in blocks and other content you may be copy/pasting or inserting in your file.
LT2015/2016 Purge commands do well to get rid of them, but you now much do this to ALL of your files and content to bring into your file in order for it to stop.

It's not easy being junk-free: requires a lot of preplanning instead of just reacting to symptoms. Good luck.
Message 79 of 120
rhjakins

THANK YOU!!!  I've been fighting this problem for entirely too long.

Message 80 of 120
sullivankatrin

Hi everyone a quick update, I didn't realize this thread was still open. The light at the end of the tunnel. All the 2015 Autodesk software has a cleaner built into purge including LT!
There is a checkbox in the purge dialog box for purge orphaned data. This clears those DGN linetypes.
I hope this helps,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost