Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layer Properties Manager Filters

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Crass
982 Views, 1 Reply

Layer Properties Manager Filters

For me layer management is perisistentely one of the most time consuming tasks in AutoCAD and I think I do a good job keeping drawings organized, using filters and layer states. I typically work with many xrefs and therefore the total number of layers in my drawings gets huge. What sucks is that I rarely need to interface with 90% of these layers but they are there in the way whenever I need to scroll through layers for whatever command.

I really appreciate the Tree view under filters where you can select a single XREF dwg and then only that drawing's layers will be visibile in the layer dropdown within the ribbon. However, I feel that its missing an entry for the current drawing in that pane. That would be most useful. I always make a group filter called "this drawing" or something, but I have to manually update it when I create new layers.

Is there a way to automate this, perhaps through property filters? This simple thing alone or a similar solution would save me so much time. Its so frustrating to scroll through hundreds of layers. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

-----
AutoCAD 2018/2021
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2021
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
pendean
in reply to: Crass

Are you just wanting a quick way to create a "no xrefs" layer filter?

This one macro will do it, and if you tap it when you add or delete layers it will update the filter name and layers in it. It also by default makes this new filter active in LAYER command. It uses an undocumented-in-later-versions feature that is still available in LT through LT2011 (have not tried it yet in LT2012).

Caveat: unless you like the name I put in here for the filter, you have to change it. And the macro only works for this one filter name.

^C^C_-layer;_Filter;_Delete;FilterNameHere;^C^C_-layer;_Filter;_New;_Group;;~*|*;FilterNameHere;;

Copy it as it is above and put it in a toolbar button or Ribbon Panel, or a pulldown menu using CUI command.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost