Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jagged lines

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
zoid
19251 Views, 16 Replies

Jagged lines

I am new to Autocad. I am wondering if it is normal for the lines to be jagged. Vertical and horizontal lines are straight but the angular ones are jagged, Stair step looking whatever you would call it. It makes the stuff I draw look like (edited) .Especially the low angle stuff.
ThanksBrandon
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
derekagar
in reply to: zoid

Welcome to the world of Autocad, friend.
Actually, the problem is probably not AutoCAD, but your graphics card, and the resolution settings of same. Also, you could try 'viewres' in autoCAD and up the number from the preset 100 to 10000, but I don't suppose it will help.

D.A.
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous

Windows display settings?
Graphics card?
Monitor?

--
Dean Saadallah
Add-on products for LT
http://www.pendean.com/lt
--
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous

What is the recommended hardware and settings for optimal performance in LT?

"Dean Saadallah" wrote in message
news:1C4C540A000D074123269CC924AD5CE5@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Windows display settings?
> Graphics card?
> Monitor?
>
> --
> Dean Saadallah
> Add-on products for LT
> http://www.pendean.com/lt
> --
>
>
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=2498406

--
Dean Saadallah
Add-on products for LT
http://www.pendean.com/lt
--
Message 6 of 17
snzac

I know this is a very old question.. I recently had the same problem of jagged lines.. I resolved this problem by going to 3dconfig in autocad command promt. In the dialog box ( adaptive degradation and performance tuning ) select manual tune and change the settings..

smooth display from off to on

if unchecked , select smooth faces by default 

change dynamic tessellations - curves - push slider to high detail more memory

Hope this suggestion helps others who are facing the same problem. 

Changing the resolution of the monitor was not an option since it was already in the highest resolution possible for the monitor. A few specs in case it helps others - my monitor is a led monitor . The software is Autocad 2012 and I have hardware acceleration enabled. 

Regards,

snzac

Message 7 of 17
Charles_Shade
in reply to: snzac

You say it is an LED monitor

What is the connection to the CPU?

Analog or Digital?

And if Digital is it HDMI or DVI?

And is the graphics card in the CPU the same?

Message 8 of 17
snzac
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Hi! Charles,

Sorry for not replying earlier.. I didn't have email intimation enabled.. I am not too familiar with the hardware side but from what I could figure out (visually/graphics card specs) the connection is DVI in both led monitor and the graphics card .The graphics card is from nvidia. I was trying for quite a few days to find a solution to the problem of jagged lines and this above mentioned method helped me out.I mentioned the hardware specs in case that had some connection to the problem. 

Regards,

snzac

Message 9 of 17
Charles_Shade

The resolution could be at its highest but not necessarily the native resolution.

Have you tried other resolutions to see if this goes away?

Resolutions are not linear. Most see a problem with circles being ovals with a non-native resolution.

Message 10 of 17
snzac
in reply to: Charles_Shade

I did try other resolutions but it had no effect. The native resoultion is the highest one in my monitor which was my default setting. My problem was just like zoid described above. The horizontal lines were straight, but any angular lines would have jagged effect. After changing the 3d config settings the angular lines now appear smooth and I have not experienced any other problems. May be it had something to do with anti-alias which was corrected by changing the smooth settings. Not being a technical person,I cannot confirm it is linked to anti-alias.

Regards,

snzac

Message 11 of 17
pendean

"..After changing the 3d config settings..."

Why was it set that way to start with?

Message 12 of 17
snzac
in reply to: pendean

Please read my earliest reply. The default setting was without smoothing. I think you will have to ask autodesk why it was so.I tried changing the settings for 3dconfig with a hope it would have some difference to the jagged lines and it worked.I had previously tried the methods suggested in this page and other pages without success. I am happy that my problem of jagged lines was resolved by changing the settings and thought that by sharing a method that works for me , it could be used by others for whom a similar problem may occur. 

Regards,

snzac

Message 13 of 17
heinsite

Welcome to the world of "aliasing".  Here's the formal definition:

aliasing

(1) In computer graphics, the process by which smooth curves and other lines become jagged because the resolution of the graphics device or file is not high enough to represent a smooth curve. Smoothing and antialiasing techniques can reduce the effect of aliasing.

Dave.  Smiley Tongue

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 14 of 17
snzac
in reply to: heinsite

Thanks for the definition Dave..

Regards,

snzac

Message 15 of 17
Ike-The-Viking

Interesting to be resurrecting a 7 year old thread, thanks for posting this solution. Just installed Autocad 2020, and the jagged lines were driving me nuts. The smooth lines in graphics config box was not checked by default. Also the Video Caching Level was at 0. Odd that those are the defaults, it makes the program seem very outdated to default to jagged.

Message 16 of 17
snzac
in reply to: Ike-The-Viking

You are welcome Ike. 🙂

Message 17 of 17
kumariaira

1. It worked! Thank you for sharing! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost