Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD LT 2008 - isolate layers won't unisolate

32 REPLIES 32
Message 1 of 33
rogerleonard
23684 Views, 32 Replies

AutoCAD LT 2008 - isolate layers won't unisolate

When I isolate a layer or turn off a layer from the icon command, it works. When I hit the icon for "turn on all layers" to get back, the layers that were isolated or turned off remain ghosted and the work I did is lost since I have to hit undue to get all my layers back on...? This was not a problem in AutoCAD 2000 I used for years before getiing LT 2008.

[The subject line of this post has been edited for better findability by @handjonathan Original: isolate layers won't unisolate ]

32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33

Try the LAYUNISO command or the Layer Unisolate button. And check out Help under "isolating layers". Has this been a constant or a recent problem?
Message 3 of 33
Anonymous
in reply to: rogerleonard

You would rather UNDO and lose all your work than
simply turn on the layers using LAYER command? Really? Was that the only
solution you spotted, undo??? That's a self-inflicted problem.

REGEN may have been able to refresh your screen and
turn on those layers: you have have frozen instead turned off layers too, or
frozen layers inside viewports. Get into LAYER command and see what is
actually happening and why.

And stay away from UNDO as the solution for Pete's
Sake.

Message 4 of 33
rogerleonard

Thanks.
1) LAYUNISO doesn't work. This is a constant problem.
2) TURN ALL LAYERS ON icon does not restore the ISOLATE LAYERS ghosted layers.
3) REGEN doen't work.

What does work, now that I tried it, is : LAYER STATES MGR icon ... then hit RESTORE.

It would seem TURN ALL LAYERS ON should restore and unisolate the work as in 2000.

I appreciate the comments.
Roger
Message 5 of 33
rogerleonard

Thanks.
1) LAYUNISO doesn't work. This is a constant problem.
2) TURN ALL LAYERS ON icon does not restore the ISOLATE LAYERS ghosted layers.
3) REGEN doen't work.

What does work, now that I tried it, is : LAYER STATES MGR icon ... then hit RESTORE.

It would seem TURN ALL LAYERS ON should restore and unisolate the work as in 2000.

I appreciate the comments and the sarcasm is funny too.
Roger
Message 6 of 33
Anonymous

Your original post lists two commands to 'hide' a
layer, and two commands to 'unhide': these are two separate functions and from
your description of your final fix I suspect you may be mixing and matching. Not
a good idea.

Message 7 of 33

Sounds like you have a bad install, a CUI conflict, or some other conflicting program - registry problem.
Message 8 of 33
rogerleonard

I agree. Now trying to have AutoCAD respond (or even finding a place to converse with them) is the problem.
Thanks!
Roger
Message 9 of 33

Try here: (yes, it is buried)

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=7031104&linkID=9240817

Installation and registry cleaners can generally be solved here in this discussion if you want to persue further. You may even want to post the macro for your LAYUNISO from your CUI to make sure it has not gotten hosed up somehow.
Message 10 of 33
rogerleonard

Thank you very much.
I'll try the Help phone call first.
Roger
Message 11 of 33
ecschrisp

If you are going to ISOLATE , you hit isolate but you still have layers in the background and they are still in dwg.

do this, hit isolate now look at command line and hit setting, set to OFF

Message 12 of 33
rosh2706

All you need to do is UNLOCK the layers in the layer manager!!

Message 13 of 33
andrius.volungevicius
in reply to: Anonymous

If you do it twice - LAYISO, you will get it not right. So let's do it only once:

LAYISO > Settings > Off;

Sort your stuff; 

LAYUNISO > sorted.

No workarounds with manually unlocking, layer manager etc.

Thanks for *Dean

Message 14 of 33

Hello.

Altenatively, you should copy all your Isolated Layers and paste it to the Original Coordinates at a new Drawing.
Than UNDO every edit till the layer be restored at your drawing and so copy the layers from the aditional drawing you had created ans paste it to the original coordinates of the old drawing after deleting the Layer that become Unedited.

Thank you and good luck

Message 15 of 33
beckerk2
in reply to: FranciscoWitt

Why the hell is this still a problem in 2018? 

Message 16 of 33
cadffm
in reply to: beckerk2

@beckerk2

I think the same as the people before:
There is no technical problem, it is only up to the user and his understanding of what he is doing / how the commands work.

But please clarify me, I'll try to explain it or I'll learn something (the mysterious bug).

Please step by step, click by click - or upload an example file and describe which step you want to do (which not work well)

But the technical connections are already written here.
Let's try? Then please..start

- Sebastian -
Message 17 of 33
james.mcm
in reply to: cadffm

This problem happens to me too. It occurs when isolating a layer for a paper space object. When I unisolate, many of the layers drawn in model space are still turned off. The only solution I have found is to turn them all back on manually. If the layiso is done to an object/layer that is in model space, the problem does not occur. This is absolutely a problem, and not user error. I did not encounter this with 2000 or 2004. I encountered it in 2013 and 2017. Currently running 2017 Civil 3d on Windows 10.

Message 18 of 33
cadffm
in reply to: james.mcm

For me it will be a user problem until you can show me the problem.
Everything I've read so far (maybe I missed something) was a user problem.

You'll probably find it easy to provide a simple 3-layer file and a few objects, including a step-by-step guide on how to provoke the issue?

Save the file in the situation where you want to apply LAYISO
and then again LAYUNISO, after which not all layers are switched on again.

Please tell us how your LAYISO settings are,
LOCK or OFF / (VP FREEZE or OFF)

Maybe it's just not known to me, it would be nice if you could help me understand your case.

If I may guess, then you use LAYISO twice in a row and then try to restore all layers with LAYUNISO,
LAYUNISO refers only to the last LAYISO application.

I'm always happy to learn new things, no matter if bug or feature (but I also like that feature)

EDIT: A sample file, so you don't need to create one yourself 🙂

The very best is: Screencast

start screencast

start layiso command, use the setting option, set your setting

use layiso

use layuniso

save(as) the file and upload dwg & add the link to screencast

- Sebastian -
Message 19 of 33
james.mcm
in reply to: cadffm

As you suggested, I am including drawings. One is an xref. The other two are before the layiso command is used and after layuniso. You'll see the large text in paper space explaining the steps to recreate the problem. The layers that stay turned off are xref layers. My layiso settings are Off and Off. It also occurs with the settings Off and VPfreeze. Thank you for looking.

Message 20 of 33
cadffm
in reply to: james.mcm

Thanks for the data, but you really do not make it easy.

- missing the description (for example: LayIso Layer0, and back)

- also you don't  descripted your settings (they was OFF/OFF or OF/VP-Freeze, it's the same in Paperspace.)

But i could replicate it, thank you!

Here is the exact description of the problem of mine, in case you report the bug again with a support case to AutoDesk.

Command: LAYUNISO

Where: PAPERSPACE & paperspace VIEWPORTS (floating Modelspace)

Bug1: PAPERSPACE 

Setting: LAYISO: Setting OFF / OFF

Layers which turned off by LAYISO,

a) don't reset to ON by LAYUNISO, if the Layer is also set to Freeze or VP-Freeze  in the current Layout.

b) all these layers get VP-Freezed

Setting: LAYISO: Setting OFF / VP-Freeze works in Paperspace equal to Off/Off, so the bug is the same.

Bug1: VIEWPORTS (floating Modelspace)

Setting: LAYISO: Setting OFF / VP-Freeze

Layers which turned to VP-Freeze by LAYISO,

c) don't reset to "VP-Thawed" by LAYUNISO, if the Layer is also set to Freeze or OFF.

Setting: LAYISO: Setting OFF / OFF works in Viewports equal to Paperspace, so the bug is the same.

Really big and old bugs, AutoDESK should wake up slowly, i am with you.

Note: For your (sample) case: You dont need to VP-Freeze these XRef-Layers in your Paperspace,

set alle Xref-Layers in your paperspace to vp-thawed ( vp-freeze off), try it again!

command: VPLAYER
thaw
~APPROVAL STAMP
current

try it again!

Of course this does not fix the problem, because you have other LAyer OFF or FROZEN,
but you may have a little less work and besides, in these cases (xref layer vp-freezed in the layout) does not make sense anyway.

- Sebastian -

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost