Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is LT the right tool for me?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
slowlearner
894 Views, 5 Replies

Is LT the right tool for me?

I want to create 2D architectural section details similar to the attached. The purpose of the details is instructional rather than construction-documents, so good graphics are important. I have almost no experience with CAD or other graphics programs, but lots of hand drafting experience. Is LT the right program for me, or is there another drawing program that would be better and/or easier to learn? Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: slowlearner

It's the right tool is you are willing to invest the time and energy to
learn to use it. You are the "target" audience.

There are also cheaper offerings from Autodesk and other vendors, if you are
not totally tied for the need to generate DWG files.

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
Message 3 of 6
slowlearner

Thanks for your comment. I don't need to create DWG's - can you suggest other software I might consider that might be cheaper and/or easier to learn? Thanks again.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

http://www.autodesk.com/autosketch is offered by our hosts for general
drafting.

www.google.com to search for other products from other vendors: be careful
about references to many "autocad-like" features, that just basically
translates for someone like you into more time learning and training and
less time drafting.

As always, try before you buy.

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
Message 5 of 6
Modman_4

Whatever you choose, if you're new at CADD, a bit of advice:

1. Rough out your work quickly all on one layer, by drawing 1 each horizontal and vertical line, and then offsetting them and trimming them later. You can get the actual material sizes as well as the gaps between if applicable. Add a "placeholder" hatch to your work for now, although all hatches will look the same for now.
2. Draw your models at 1:1 in modelspace, and arrange scaled views of them on your layout tabs -- the tabs will be 1:1 but the viewports can have differing viewing scales assigned to them.
3. Test out layers, linetypes and hatches in paperspace (layout tab) to verify the look of the plotted work. For the hatches, this is how you scale them to look proper at 1:1. Then you can use CHSPACE to send them through a viewport into modelspace. Make the hatches annotative, and use the Property Manager to add the scales you anticipate using them at (such as 3"=1'-0").
4. In modelspace, set your CANNOSCALE to match the scale you might normally draw your detail on a drafting board, such as 3" = 1'-0". This is the list of scales found on the taskbar at the bottom toward the right.
5. When your model is ready to make more finished-looking, use Property Painter to change the properties of your draft model, to match the new linetypes, lineweights and hatches you brought in from paperspace. Once you have the basics set up and one model finished, you can do the quick draft and property painter thing all day long, one after another.

Feel free to come back for more tips and advice, and good luck!
I hope my info was useful, but if by some odd chance it actually solved your issue, feel free to mark your post as "Accept as Solution". Thanks! 🙂
Message 6 of 6
Charles_Shade

Shoot, I could use the 1200 bucks.
What 'cha want drawn?
Regards, Charles Shade

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost