Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is LT right for me?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
940 Views, 9 Replies

Is LT right for me?

I am new to CAD software and am looking to learn how to layout and design fire alarms as well as security systems with AutoCad. I have already decided to purchase one of the Autodesk products since they are obviously the standard, but am not sure which product would be appropriate for my needs. I would of course like to purchase the least costly version for my needs, but to not want to sacrifice any tools/features that I might need. My main tasks would be to take already designed DWG files provided by architects/engineers and to add a layer(s) showing symbols representing fire/burglar alarm devices as well as their associated wires. I assume it would be very similar to a version that an electrical contractor would use to design the building's electrical and lighting systems.

I would appreciate any input as to which product would most appropriately complete this task; as well as any recommended books/tutorials to get me started.

Thanks for the help!
John
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

If you don not plan to pursue 3D drawings or write your own lisp routines,
then LT is the way to go. I bought my first program, LT98, with the same
concerns you have and then LT2002 and now LT2008. Great
"jcioffi23" wrote in message news:5865968@discussion.autodesk.com...
I am new to CAD software and am looking to learn how to layout and design
fire alarms as well as security systems with AutoCad. I have already
decided to purchase one of the Autodesk products since they are obviously
the standard, but am not sure which product would be appropriate for my
needs. I would of course like to purchase the least costly version for my
needs, but to not want to sacrifice any tools/features that I might need.
My main tasks would be to take already designed DWG files provided by
architects/engineers and to add a layer(s) showing symbols representing
fire/burglar alarm devices as well as their associated wires. I assume it
would be very similar to a version that an electrical contractor would use
to design the building's electrical and lighting systems.

I would appreciate any input as to which product would most appropriately
complete this task; as well as any recommended books/tutorials to get me
started.

Thanks for the help!
John
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

LT tips and other resources can be found here:

http://www.caddigest.com/subjects/acad_lt/

Melanie Perry
***not all who wander are lost***
www.Tech-Tea.com
http://MistressOfTheDorkness.blogspot.com

jcioffi23 wrote:
> I am new to CAD software and am looking to learn how to layout and design fire alarms as well as security systems with AutoCad. I have already decided to purchase one of the Autodesk products since they are obviously the standard, but am not sure which product would be appropriate for my needs. I would of course like to purchase the least costly version for my needs, but to not want to sacrifice any tools/features that I might need. My main tasks would be to take already designed DWG files provided by architects/engineers and to add a layer(s) showing symbols representing fire/burglar alarm devices as well as their associated wires. I assume it would be very similar to a version that an electrical contractor would use to design the building's electrical and lighting systems.
>
> I would appreciate any input as to which product would most appropriately complete this task; as well as any recommended books/tutorials to get me started.
>
> Thanks for the help!
> John
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Depends...
Check the CAD software your clients are using. Brand and version. Compatibility with them is better than with Autodesk.
(You may need to "scrub" your client files to do your work. Be sure this is acceptable to your clients.)

Assuming planar (2-D) is acceptable to your clients, LT is fine.

I don't know of any vertical packages for what you're looking to do, but there could be some out there. (I wouldn't be surprised.) Vertical packages typically require big AutoCAD (embedded or purchased separately).

At a minimum, to save time, try to locate your symbols (and such) pre-built.

Look into "AutoCAD 2008 and AutoCAD LT 2008 Bible" by Ellen Finkelstein. It has AutoCAD & LT trials on the included CD. (You can also download both trials from Autodesk.)

Work the trials. You've got 30 days. Free.

Join AUGI (free), plenty of tutorials (centered around big AutoCAD, but nonetheless helpful).
Autodesk (and others) offer training in various forms, but most are for a fee.
I suggest getting your bearings with free resources first so you're better prepared to spend your training dollars.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Would I be correct in assuming that AutoSketch would be too "light" for my needs?
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

Forget AutoSketch. Version 9 is nearly 4 years old and is not being
replaced.

There are too many issues when opening .dwgs from LT/ACAD. Dynamic blocks
are not supported...paper space is not supported...2007 .dwg format is not
supported...custom shapes/linestyles are not supported... just to name a
few.

Similar issues exist when saving the native .skf file to a .dwg and opened
in LT/ACAD...multi-line text explodes and shoots all over the place for
example.

It isn't pretty.

Ric Norris.

wrote in message news:5866038@discussion.autodesk.com...
Would I be correct in assuming that AutoSketch would be too "light" for my
needs?
Message 7 of 10
Garry_Lelliott

Your choice of CAD system is much like everything else in life in that you get what you pay for.

If you want a no-frills, über-basic CAD package, I would consider DraftSight by Dassault Systems, which is free. It saves files in DWG format and you can add the symbols layer you want. Dimensioning and annotation are also a little on the crude side.

If, however, you want to work a bit smarter and develop tool palattes for your symbols, or use dynamic blocks, LT is streets ahead of DraftSight, but it carries the higher cost inherrent in more sophisticated CAD packages, which LT definitely is.

As far as I am aware, Autodesk no longer offers AutoSketch. You can find it on their website, but when you go to purchase online, AutoSketch disappears from the options available, which is a pretty clear indication it is a dead duck. (Please feel free to correct this statement anyone!!)

As both systems output DWG file, it ultimately, it comes down to what your primary requirement is, functionality or cost.

Having used both packages, I personally prefer LT as I think the additional functionality is worth the cost, just!

Message 8 of 10

Umm you do realize you just answered an almost 5 year old post?

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 9 of 10

LOL!!

Thanks for the heads-up, I didn't realise that, but then at no point did I claim to be especially observant!!!

My only defence is that I have been a liitle over-eager to help a fellow member, but will definitely pay more attention to the discussion dates in future!!

Message 10 of 10
pendean
in reply to: Garry_Lelliott

It was a good reply and thanks for sharing your opinion.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost