Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

importing drawing as block with field refererences to attribute values

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Trebordeez
504 Views, 2 Replies

importing drawing as block with field refererences to attribute values

THREAD LENGTH.JPGWe have generic drawings of assemblies we use in layout drawings as standard details.  We insert them as blocks with one or two dimensions that vary (geometry remains the same-these are just representative for inforamtion). 

We could define these as attribute values so that a user types a length that displays in the drawing but if we wish this to be part of a dimension we would have to explode the dimension to manually replace the mtext dim value with an attribute tag.

This seems unsubtle so I editted the dim value to be a field referencing the attribute value and made the tag invisible.  This worked in the drawing-the attached shows the attribute tag ALLTHREAD and the resultant dimension text (as a field value) replaced with the default value LENGTH.

When the drawing is inserted as a block it duly prompts for a value for ALLTHREAD and any value can be typed-`1200, 3500, 1672 etc. but the dimension does not update from the default value LENGTH, even after using attsync, regenall.  So, if the drawing recognises the attribute then how come it cant recognise the graphic via a field reference and update it? Is it buried too deep in the database hiearchy for LT to make sense of it maybe?

I dont want to explode the dim but it looks like I may have too if this cannot be made to work.  All suggestions welcome

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
hwalker
in reply to: Trebordeez

Welcome to the Forums

If you are just putting in a number and NOT stretching the block to be the correct distance, then take the dim text out and replace it with your attribute.

Also if you can without violating your company policy. Post your drawing here so we can have a look at it and point you in the right direction.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 3
Trebordeez
in reply to: hwalker

Thanks, its a good workaround.  Still puzzles me why the field data in place of dimtext didnt work though.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost