Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP ZBOOK 14 Doesn't Support AutoCAD LT

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
andrew_robertson1
5163 Views, 9 Replies

HP ZBOOK 14 Doesn't Support AutoCAD LT

Well, I've followed the Autodesk hardware recommendation wizard and purchased a HP ZBOOK 14.  This design has a lot of potential with a AMD FirePRO GPU integrated along with the Intel graphics.  The idea is that the machine chooses which GPU to use on an application-by-application basis - so saving battery when you don't need the GPU grunt.  This is a premium notebook and retails for more than $3,000 in Australia.

Only problem is that it doesn't work with AutoCAD!  The graphics don't switch and I can only get AutoCAD to see the Intel GPU - if I turn on HW acceleration the cursor leaves a snail trail of dots behind it and the pan and zoom become soo jerky that it is unusable.  The "new tab" is now a black screen (which sometimes shows a blank sheet manager and will show filenames in the recent list if you hover the cursor) - attached.

I spent two hours with the AutoCAD support person with no luck - his solution was to permanently turn off the intel graphics - but of course that meant that my notebook would become a desktop because the battery wouldn't last for long.  In the end he couldn't make that work either.  In Australia  Autodesk outsources support to its premium dealers - after initially saying he would escalate the problem he eventually can back to me (I sensed after talking to a manager) and said that as I hadn't purchased the notebook from the dealer they could help me no more - there would be no escalation and I should pursue it with HP.

So, off to HP I go and after spending the afternoon on the phone got nowhere.  I've ungraded the bios and uninstalled/reinstalled the graphics drivers soo many time I can do it in my sleep - it doesn't matter that order in which they are installed, the manner of the install or if you stand on one leg as you install - nothing makes a difference.  HP did agree to escalate the problem and there may be a solution out of Bangalore in the coming days………

In the absence of a solution my option seems to be to forget about the AMD FirePRO graphics and run on the Intel GPU without H/W acceleration.  In effect, I've just spent $3,000 on a $1,200 Ultrabook because none of the workstation functionality that I've paid for actually works.

I'm very disappointed that Autodesk would recommend a product that they clearly haven't tested.  I’m also disappointed that they aren’t at all interested in pursuing the problem.  Too bad so sad!

So, the conclusion is:

If you are considering buying an HP ZBOOK to run AutoCAD - BE VERY CAREFUL - Make sure it works before you pay for it!!!!!

If you are ever tempted to relying on an Autodesk H/W recommendation - DON'T - do independent research!

If you have any ideas how I can dig myself out of this hole they would be gratefully received.

Regards,

Andrew Robertson

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

I am following up with the customer to resolve the issue.

Thanks,

Hoon

Hoon Lim
Message 3 of 10

Well I’ve solved the problem.   I found the solution on an Adobe forum because this problem affects Adobe CC as well as ACAD.   The Adobe CC client that is used to login and download software suffers the same black screen problem as the ACAD New Tab screen – making it impossible to login and download s/w.  Apparanly there are other Adobe application issues, but I can't tell because I can't even download the software.  This is ironic as this H/W is clearly aimed at  ACAD and Adobe users.

The solution was in two parts:

• ACAD LT 2015 SP2 fixed the cursor trains and pan/zoom issues.

• There is an isssue with the AMD FirePro driver – the version that works is 10.301.1001.0 but this is only available from the AMD site as a generic driver – the HP site only offers drivers in the range of 9.xxx. and all of these exhibit the black screen issue.  The current Intel driver 10.18.10.3621 works OK and is available from the HP site.

The order of loading the drivers is also important.  The AMD driver installation disrupts the Intel graphics driver – the Intel graphics driver must be re-installed after the AMD installation or nothing will work.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1595683

It seems that things have slipped at HP (nothing like the Bill and Dave days).  You'd think that if you were marketing a notebook computer to heavy graphincs users you'd at least test it with AutoCAD and Photoshop - hardly fringe applications........<sigh>

Hoon,  thank you so much for your help with this issue – I hope this information is of some assistance to others.

Message 4 of 10
JM_K
in reply to: andrew_robertson1

"I spent two hours with the AutoCAD support person with no luck - his solution was to permanently turn off the intel graphics - but of course that meant that my notebook would become a desktop because the battery wouldn't last for long.  In the end he couldn't make that work either.  In Australia  Autodesk outsources support to its premium dealers - after initially saying he would escalate the problem he eventually can back to me (I sensed after talking to a manager) and said that as I hadn't purchased the notebook from the dealer they could help me no more - there would be no escalation and I should pursue it with HP"

Andrew,

Good to hear that the issue was resolved. I think in the case there is a disconnect between HP and AMD in terms of the drivers offered on the HP website and the ones on the AMD website. Since the issue was related to hardware though, it is ultimately something that needs to be resolved with the outlet that you purchased the laptop from and/or with HP.

Insert witty comment here.
Message 5 of 10

Hello Andrew

Thanks for the feed back about the special AMD Driver v10.301.1001.0 and the CORRECT Procedure !

Merry Christmas + Happy New Year, Regards, Patrice

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
pdawsonsa
in reply to: braudpat

Hi Andrew/Pat

Andrew, thanks for posting your issue and following up with the solution.  I've been pulling my hair out trying to get Adobe CC working.  There is something very weird going on with this config.  

My machine was setup by our IT guys in Sept, but when i recieved it there were all sorts of driver issues including the non-resume after sleep mode.  After a bit of reading I found a post which suggested uninstalling both GPU drivers and then reinstalling.  This worked without issues including Adboe CC.  Im not an AutoCAD user.  Anyway, I've never been convinced of the GPU performance mostly because of jerkiness when moving an image around in photoshop.  

Last week, following some other software issues, I decided that a clean start was in order and formatted my machine.  I reloaded W7-64bit and all the HP drivers leaving the GPU drivers till the end.  I then installed the same Intel driver I had previously used followed by the Catalyst driver that worked the last time.  No luck.  Following that i tried so many dif combinations until this one posted by you finally worked.  This all leaves me wondering whether in fact our machines are actually performing at their best?  Is the correct operation of Adobe CC or CAD a good measure of performance.  Would you guys mind sharing your Windows Experiance Index scores for comparison sakes.  If there is a better benchmark tool that you can suggest im all ears.  Here are my WEI scores:

Win_Exp_Index_Scores.png

Thanks once again

Peter

Message 7 of 10
robert
in reply to: pdawsonsa

I recieved my Zbook around september last year, shortly after i immediently sent it back to our I.T Suppliers as i had noticed that Autocad wasnt detecting the Dedicated card. Operation was jerky and the machine was fairly unusable.

The machine was looked at by HP, who installed drivers and rebooted the machine.

It came back after three weeks and not much had really changed.

I use AutoCAD 3D and the 'HW Acceleration' panel STILL displays the Intel unit, as apposed to the AMD FirePro.

sadly, I doubt that my dedicated GPU is being used at all. I will try the above listed fix when I have a good amount of time free and report back. 

This is a huge issue that should have been sorted on release of the laptop.

Instead of autodesk suggesting this machine is used, they should suggest it is avoided at all costs!

Here is my WEI score;

Message 8 of 10
robert

I recieved my Zbook around september last year, shortly after i immediently sent it back to our I.T Suppliers as i had noticed that Autocad wasnt detecting the Dedicated card. Operation was jerky and the machine was fairly unusable.

The machine was looked at by HP, who installed drivers and rebooted the machine.

I use AutoCAD 3D and the 'HW Acceleration' panel STILL displays the Intel unit, as apposed to the AMD FirePro.

sadly, I doubt that my dedicated GPU is being used at all. I will try the above listed fix when I have a good amount of time free and report back. 

Instead of autodesk suggesting this machine is used, they should suggest it is avoided at all costs!

Here is my WEI score;

Message 9 of 10
robert

Here is my WEI score;

Message 10 of 10
pendean
in reply to: robert

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost